SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    California cancer warnings
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California cancer warnings Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
It could be done, but would probably cause cancer.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
The incessant warnings just act to hide anything that actually might have some risk.

Imagine a state-mandate for everyone to cry "Wolf!" at the top of their lungs once an hour....what if someone actually saw a wolf?

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
labels are just there to keep CA state inspectors at bay and avoid CA civil attorney contact...

If you are selling anything in CA it'd best have that label on it, regardless if it caused the big C or not...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I wonder if anyone has analyzed the total impact of those stickers. Yes they are small, but there are millions printed every year. Paper, adhesives, etc all took energy to produce. End users probably used some sort of solvent to get them off which really might cause cancer or add to air pollution. All for NOTHING. No net benefit to the individual purchaser or the planet.

I always wonder the same thing about emissions testing. Does requiring every single registered vehicle in the county to idle in line for 2 hours waiting to be tested not add more pollution to the air than just allowing the few that wouldn't pass drive? Typical government, add expense while the unintended consequences are worse than the problem.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While working some fires in California a couple of years ago, I noticed Proposition 65 stickers on the federal vehicles, warning that they contained products known to cause cancer in California.

I noticed even the Taco Bell entry door had a sticker stating that the products inside cause cancer in California.

Good thing I use taco bell in states where it's not a problem. All these things seem to be found only in California, where air, rocks, pigeons, dust mites, and the color red are all known to the state of california to cause cancer.

California knows a lot of things. Apparently.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
aromatic ring organics

WTH?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
aromatic ring organics

WTH?

"Aromatic" refers to organic (carbon cased) chemical compounds that contain a benzene ring in their structure.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
...but a chrome plated hitch pin. Yep, there's the warning.

I had a buddy who told me he went out with a girl that could suck the chrome of a trailer hitch...so I guess its applicable.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
California removed the cancer warning from coffee just a few days ago. A few thousand more to go…

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had a friend in college from CA and he said that CA makes them put warning signs on virtually everything, is this true?

The example had gave was you'd go to get a drink at a water fountain and there would be a big warning sign right over it or next to it.

This was on Wikipedia, WTF people Roll Eyes

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It actually was a good idea when it started but now has become a joke.

I bought a pack of stainless steel bolts from a HomeDepot here in S.C. last year and it had the warning on it... stainless steel bolts?
Some engineer on the internet pointed out it was most probably the cutting lube old used in the making of the bolts...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that I'm safe from the things that cause cancer in California, since I use all these products in Florida.

I'd be a little more concerned about it if I were to use them in California.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Just bought a Zev Pro Trigger for my G34, inside the package a nice red warning card, Per CA Prop 65 that it contains stuff that could cause cancer. Roll Eyes

Wait until they have to mark the container itself that it contains stuff that could cause cancer, as well as the card in it that tells you the product in the container could cause cancer, such a screwed up rule...

Warning, this container contains contents that could cause cancer, and the container contains components in the production of the container that could cause cancer and the container the containers we reference of causing cancer with their internal cancer causing contents were shipped in a container that contains products that can cause cancer, and they were shipped in a cancer causing container, from China, in a container ship that could cause cancer due to the contents in, on and used to create the container ship, it's containers, the contents of the containers on the ship, and the contents of the containers that contain the containers that contain the item you bought that could cause cancer.

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I'm pretty sure that I'm safe from the things that cause cancer in California, since I use all these products in Florida.

I'd be a little more concerned about it if I were to use them in California.

If they are "Nuts" from CA that made their way to FL, you might be at risk. Big Grin

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
When we first started seeing those warnings on auto parts the oft heard comment was "We're safe, it only happens in Cali."

Extend that thinking by just a small amount. How about a law that requires signage at EVERY SINGLE crossing into the State of California that Residing in, or Visiting, California has been shown to cause Cancer. Yeah, it would speed up the doomsday for California but IMO that cannot happen fast enough.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Prop 65 has been a bugaboo for me from the beginning.
If medicine were run that way, there would be only false positive tests: everyone MIGHT have cancer. It’s the worst public policy issue I’ve ever seen, in every possible way, some of which were noted above.
WOLFWOLFWOLFWOLFWOLFWOLF....
No one pays attention except loonies.

Last night I was in a hotel garage and there was a huge sign saying breathing the air in the garage could cause cancer; not in so many words, but the usual.

I’m sorry for all of you outside CA who have to put up with this shit.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness I live in Montana where none of that shit causes cancer.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This issue is sort of in my professional sphere of knowledge. The problem is CA Prop 65 is it is a system based on HAZARD (potential) vs. actual cancer (or developmental/reproductive toxicity or DART) RISK.

The CA EPA has legions (it seems) of scientists and risk assessors with decades of written policy and procedures who churn out chemical reviews using many, many HIGHLY conservative assumptions that have a very large probability of going from any given chemical to the hazard warnings.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
When I worked in Kaiser Permanente Northern California, I directed the development of guidelines for preventive medicine for adults.
Following what medicine has adopted as “evidence-based guidelines”, anything we recommended as a screening test had to meet strict guidelines:
1. Prevalence: relatively common condition
2. Peril: condition had to have significant health consequences
3. Preventability: had to have solid evidence that doing the screening test resulted in better health outcomes than would occur without the test
4. Payoff: Reasonable correlation between the cost of screening and health care costs saved.

We were specifically trying to avoid doing a bunch of tests which scared patients without having a significant benefit.

That’s clearly the opposite of the Prop 65 approach, which in my professional opinion is a terrible public health policy.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post