SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    California cancer warnings
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California cancer warnings Login/Join 
posted
I'm really sick of peeling off these stupid cancer warning stickers and then removing the adhesive residue. Seriously guys, does EVERYTHING cause cancer in CA? I'm not talking about some industrial solvent, but a chrome plated hitch pin. Yep, there's the warning.

If stuff like that is going to cause cancer, you might as well just take a daily bath in benzene and get it over with.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
YES. It is called cancer of the brain which affects the cognitive capacity of people who live there.

I do not recall all these labels as a kid. Poisons just had a Skull and Crossbones on it.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what carcinogens are on that glue? Eek

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Crying "Wolf". What're they going to do to warn people about a really serious carcinogen?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Saw quite a few of them on the driver's window of cars when we were out there a couple weeks ago.

Can't imagine why you'd leave it on there after you've bought it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The real irony is that California itself is a cancer to this country.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Been sick of it for a long time. They don’t seem to differentiate between hypothetical (rare) and probable (like aromatic ring organics). I’m actually surprised that there is no warning required for foods that may cause obesity.

Like someone said - follow the money. Likely there is some politician’s family or friend making these stickers.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Some lady at work a while back said we were going to get in trouble because we put a clearance sticker over the CA Cancer label like we were trying to hide it and she wasnt going to shop from us anymore since we sold products that caused cancer.

I think it was a garden hose.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think it was a garden hose.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe if you ingest them they can be carcinogenic. Best to be on the safe side.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The neighbor kid (17) came over while I was drinking from my hose, told me I was going to get cancer.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are no cancer warnings like that in Iowa.

That crop duster spraying industrial pesticides on the field next to your house while your family is outside? No warnings, no worries.

Is the mosquito spraying truck driving up and down every road fogging the entire city while your kids are in the front yard? No warnings, no worries.

Are the nitrates and pesticides from the farms getting into the city wells and water supply? That's okay as the lab reports from the city water company don't mention those things. No warnings, no worries.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
When we first started seeing those warnings on auto parts the oft heard comment was "We're safe, it only happens in Cali."

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
There are no cancer warnings like that in Iowa.

Yes, there are. It’s the same CA Prop 65 warning that is on everything that is sold anywhere. That’s the problem. We don’t have to live in CA to get the warning from their stupid law.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Purchased pre-packaged firewood at an RV park in California. Yup, had the sticker.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The real irony is that California itself is a cancer to this country.

Causes mental retardation!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
The warning is for the materials that make up the sticker...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife got a new pair of knee pads. Yup: CA cancer warning. "WTF?" she asks. "Disregard," I replied, "that's California nonsense." "California's the cancer," she retorted.

I love my wife Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I was just looking up tire chains for my tractor and had a "wtf" moment when I saw a California cancer warning.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12406 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I got a new stereo head unit (and speakers) put in my tacoma. The stereo manual has a notice that the radio head unit has chemicals that CA knows may cause cancer, etc.

Stupid.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if anyone has analyzed the total impact of those stickers. Yes they are small, but there are millions printed every year. Paper, adhesives, etc all took energy to produce. End users probably used some sort of solvent to get them off which really might cause cancer or add to air pollution. All for NOTHING. No net benefit to the individual purchaser or the planet.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post