SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Neurology Visit-Not So Good
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Neurology Visit-Not So Good Login/Join 
posted
Went for a follow up today. I had a series of mini-strokes last September, and I do regular follow ups to check the progress of my recovery. Physically, I'm in good shape. No balance, strength, or other issues. That's the good news.

There is some concern about my short term memory. The doctor was not amused by incidents I described, and the memory tests....not so good. She offered me a couple of drugs (Namenda or Aracept.) I said, hey, those are Alzheimer drugs. She evaded the issue. I asked if I was in early stages of Alzheimer's. She sounded like a Democrat politician answering that one. I turned down the drugs for now, and scheduled a follow up in 3 months.

Research into both drugs was not good. Namenda would likely require surrendering my driving privileges and wifey said the guns would also likely have to go. Aracept isn't so bad, much less restrictive on what I can due.

We shall see.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry to hear that. Are you noticing short term memory issues or are they only evident in testing?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

...I said, hey, those are Alzheimer drugs. She evaded the issue. I asked if I was in early stages of Alzheimer's. She sounded like a Democrat politician answering that one...

That'd ominous. I've dropped doctors for acting like that, and I'll suggest you consider it as well.

You're entitled to know what her diagnosis is, or you can't expect proper treatment.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^ What he said! Crawfishing or avoiding answering my questions fully is unacceptable.The two people in life I want to be brutally honest with me are my Doctor and my Lawyer.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to know your current strengths and weaknesses you need to see a neuropsychologist. They are the true experts when it comes to describing your cognitive abilities. You may need to go outside your area to get those services. The VA has those services available since they see many patients with traumatic brain injury as well as stroke patients. The testing for cognitive deficits takes about 8 hours and is very thorough.

I would imagine that the University of Kentucky has these services available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ZSMICHAEL,

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neorophysiologist. Great tip, I shall do research. The problem with Alzheimer's is its often treated as a diagnosis of exclusion, that is, "well, it must be, we can't find anything else."

Yes, I am having short term memory issues. I've been using self-notes, GPS, and my phone to keep up. It does seem to be getting better.

I may have related my funny little story about forgetting my wife went with me to the store, and driving off without her.

Thanks for the input. I often get better answer here than from the people I pay for the answers.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NeuroPSYCHOLOGist. Just making sure you get the right person.

Here is a link: https://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/k...logy/neuropsychology

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would worry when you get to the point, where you set out for a destination across town and you can't remember how to get there. That's how it began with my mother.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I may have related my funny little story about forgetting my wife went with me to the store, and driving off without her.

I remember reading your post when you shared this with the group. I wish you well.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
^^^^ What he said! Crawfishing or avoiding answering my questions fully is unacceptable. The two people in life I want to be brutally honest with me are my Doctor and my Lawyer.

Thirded.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this - but you are right to be pissed, as you deserve honest answers / truth of what is going on.

And while there may be some resistance to treatment that may lead to loss of driving / firearms / etc, it's far better to get treatment and be safe, rather than be that old bastard who takes out some people in a horrible accident because they lost their marbles. I had to take action which resulted in a family member having their D/L pulled - it caused lots of waves, but it was the right thing to do when someone was losing cognitive ability, had a stroke which resulted in drop foot, and addiction to pain meds. I had zero fucks if they crashed themselves (its a free country), but I was concerned about innocents who might be hit by their car, etc.

Anyway, tough subject / situation, but just make sure you look at the whole situation.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I know the UK Neuro clinic. I can still drive, etc very well, but cannot with the recommended meds. I will take them if I must, but would MUCH prefer a more definitive diagnosis. Tomorrow I will check insurance and seek a referral.

posted Hide Post
You need a proper assessment BEFORE you talk about drugs. There are a variety of techniques that improve cognitive abilities that do not involve drugs. A competent neuropsychologist can help you with that. Mini strokes are a TOTALLY different process than a presenile dementia. Keep us posted.

posted Hide Post
I am sorry to hear this.
I also agree that you need to seek another DR and get a second opinion.

I get upset about many things in this world but the one things that will make me have a total melt down is someone hee and hawing over important things like a DR or a vet. I have dropped a few because of it.

If you do not seek what you are looking for I can speak with the other half. She is a speech pathologist and worked with soldiers for years with TBI and cognitive issues at Walter Reed

Plus she has dated me for 20 years +. Right there is a residency/case study in itself

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once again, thanks. I've located a neuropsychology clinic covered by my insurance. I will begin checking credentials once the business day starts.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Fredward, this site has given me a great source of information and sharing. I joined this forum several months after my TBI and subsequent stroke. Many stroke survivors share the same symptoms, as difficult and trying as they may be at times, it always has helped me to share with others going thru many of the same trials. I wish you well, and Godspeed in recovery.

Stroke.net

I joined back in 08' and always found the threads/posts informative.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: just1tym,

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

Once again, thanks. I've located a neuropsychology clinic covered by my insurance. I will begin checking credentials once the business day starts.
Hoping to hear good news from you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like you have a good number of choices. You want a neuropsychologist who specializes in Stroke patients and is intimately acquainted with rehabilitation techniques. It is similar to neurologists who might have a subspecialty in Headache Medicine or ALS. After a careful assessment which should include an initial interview with a neuropsychologist and a minimum of three to five hours of testing, you will have a good idea of what your strengths and weaknesses are.