SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Bad Dog Owners
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bad Dog Owners Login/Join 
posted
We have a rental across the street and the family that is/was renting kind of struck me as odd from day one. Not one specific thing, just an air or arrogance from the adults and the fact they let there kids run the neighborhood like wild animals.

When they moved in they had a small dust up with the HOA due to them parking a massive camper in the front yard and then there were several visits to the home from animal control. When I saw the husband one night he proceeded to explain that animal control was there because of an asshole neighbor who has it out for them (recurring pattern). I let to slide as it was none of my business and I really didn't want to know the guys life story.

Fast forward to almost a week ago when U Haul appears they they apparently moved out...good riddance...except when I was walking my dogs this weekend I could hear dogs barking loudly inside their house. I have not seen a him in or around the house in almost a week, there is one light on and it would appear that two dogs have been left in there.

I called local PD/animal control and tonight, after a little research I tracked down the management company and fired an email off to them so i will see what tomorrow brings.

It irritates the shit out of me that people want pets, until they dont, then they become someone else's issue. Even if I am wring and they just went away those dogs have been in there with no way of getting out and I have not heard the AC kick on.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you. We live out in the country, but close enough to town that we get a lot of collar-less dogs turned out in our area. We feel bad about calling animal control to take them in, as we are dog people and know a lot of them will probably be put down. Ticks me off that someone has justified their despicable act thinking that "sure somebody" will take in their dog. Grow up! Take it to the local animal shelter yourself.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
Yep people that dump animals piss me off:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/2420053244

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just spoke to the animal control officer and he said that he got in touch with someone who claims they are there from 7pm to 7am daily and are house sitting for owners. I told him that is a neat trick as we have not seen a human in that house in days/a week.

I guess it is all I can do for now but at least if he got in touch with someone they know they are being watched

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Can you ask the animal control officer to swing by and verify, sometime during the time period that the person claims to be there?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Can you ask the animal control officer to swing by and verify, sometime during the time period that the person claims to be there?

Sadly, he did not seem very interested in doing more than was already done.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
In a case like this, if I do not get a satisfactory response from the person whose job it is, I have absolutely no problem finding out who the Big Kahuna is in the city / county / whatever administration and going directly to that person. Poo-poo rolls downhill. I would let that person know that this can be investigated by the proper department, or it can be investigated by the local news outlet, but one way or the other, it WILL be investigated.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:
In a case like this, if I do not get a satisfactory response from the person whose job it is, I have absolutely no problem finding out who the Big Kahuna is in the city / county / whatever administration and going directly to that person. Poo-poo rolls downhill. I would let that person know that this can be investigated by the proper department, or it can be investigated by the local news outlet, but one way or the other, it WILL be investigated.

I am going to keep close eye on the house tonight and see if the mystery person shows up after 7pm like they claim to have been....If they do great, if not I will ratchet up a notch or two in AM

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Almost a week? If there is no water for them the dogs risk organ damage in 3-5 days depending on heat and loss of fluid through urination, panting and sweating.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Poo-poo rolls downhill

If the dogs have been locked in the house for week, that is a definite possibility.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, good news is someone did show up last night and was there for an hour or so. I am assuming dogs were fed, watered and allowed out. I will see if anyone shows up again tonight

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This just keeps getting better!

It would seem, based on what another neighbor told me, that the asshole dog owners have moved 99% of their stuff into a brad new house they had built (which is why they were renting) and did not want to leave dogs alone in new house so they decided best course action was to leave them in rental house, almost empty with limited supervision so they could bark, shit and tear up someone else's property.

Their landlord/management company has been made aware of this so it will be interesting to see what happens when they return

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This will step on someone’s toes, no doubt. I know a lot of “good” dog owners who never do anything with their dogs. Their beloved pets spend their lives in a fenced yard, are never walked, never taken anywhere, never taught anything and might not even be house-broke. These people often have two, or three dogs “for company.” I don’t begin to understand

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their beloved pets spend their lives in a fenced yard ...

Around here, at least they get out, since they are never kept in their yards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
This will step on someone’s toes, no doubt. I know a lot of “good” dog owners who never do anything with their dogs. Their beloved pets spend their lives in a fenced yard, are never walked, never taken anywhere, never taught anything and might not even be house-broke. These people often have two, or three dogs “for company.” I don’t begin to understand

Yeah, I have never understood people like this. We had a neighbor years ago that would keep his dogs outside all night and they would bark at just about anything. During the day they would presumably let them in but then leave them i house all day long while at work....why bother even owning a dog?

I/we probably swing a title far the other way. We have 4 dogs and they ride in cards, swim with us, go hiking and this AM as I was leaving, my wife was making them a huge batch of scrambled eggs (we had a ton of eggs left over from a cooking project she and my daughter were doing)

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It will depend on a number of other factors I'd rather not get into, but I might consider a small dog when I retire. As it is now, I can't leave a dog at home all day while I work. Even cats get lonesome.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
yep.

I would love to take in a rescue.
A Mini Schnauzer or two, or a Bully dog, or a few other type dogs.

But it's just me and the turtle, and I cannot have a dog alone for the entire day.

So unfair and unkind to a dog.

But one day, I hope to get to that place I can change this state.

So many doggies, so few homes.

Frown

posted Hide Post
I really hate people that dump dogs and hope the universe pays them back in spades. One of the best dogs I ever had was a Pyr/Golden mix that got dumped near us when we lived in VA. He spent a week in ICU, barely surviving Parvo and the 60 or so ticks they pulled off him. Turned into a 120lb teddy bear once we got him home. My constant companion in the workshop until cancer finally took him at age 10.

Another dog we rescued was left in a crate on the front porch of a rental across the street from us here in St. Louis. Cute little brown miniature mop dog, mabye a year old. I went and grabbed the crate and brought him home but had to keep him seperated from our rescue boxers since he wasn't much bigger than fat squirrel. Sweet little fella but not well cared for. Took him to the groomers at a pet store where they got him all fixed up. Surprisingly, while he was there a gal came in with her little dog and the two of them became instant friends. When she found out he was abandoned, she took him home with his new bestest friend and the last I saw was an artists photo of the two dogs sharing a bucket together. This photo hangs in the pet store.

There have been some others and we always do right by them when they cross our path. But I truly loathe anyone that would abandon or abuse any animal, especially a dog, which just wants to be a member of a Pack.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
One of my brothers moved his family into a duplex, for a while. Their neighbor was seldom seen, and therefore not a problem. They noticed after a while that mail was piling up in the neighbor's box, but thought nothing of it.

A couple of weeks after that, my brother and SIL noticed an outbreak of fleas in their home, and a sickly smell. They notified the landlord, who sent an exterminator out. The landlord came out and called the Sheriff's department over concern about the odor. As it turns out, the neighbor had a couple small dogs and cats each-and I think it's clear where this is going.

The Sheriff's office investigated, and the renter (a woman) was estranged or divorced and living with another man. She kept a separate address and appearance of self-reliance for IDK..welfare? alimony? possibly vindictive ex? Needless to say, she was charged with animal cruelty and in the course of the investigations, her ex was made aware of her situation, and she was about to see her world fall apart.

TL,DR: Karma to shitty animal owner

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post