SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Oops.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oops. Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Wife and I go for a 2 mile walk every day unless it's a monsoon or a blizzard.

Sundays, wife's sister usually goes with us.

Wife's sister is a liberal, a Hillary supporter, a Trump hater and just to put a little icing on the cake, incapable of being wrong. Ever. About anything. AND, she loves to argue. If she's winning, she'll change sides just to keep it going.

Drives me absolutely batshit. Most days, I get a firm grip on my tongue with my incisors and recite the times tables or something.

Today it was incessant. Started when she showed up for the ride to the walking destination du jour, continued throughout the ride over, the walk and the ride back. Just before we got back to the house, they decided they needed to discuss the Bible and whether or not it condoned slavery and/or condemned homosexuality.

I lost it. Before I could stop myself, I uttered The Phrase of Death: "How about we all just shut the fuck up?"

Didn't work in the truck, but it seems to be working especially well since I got home. I got The Speech about what a self-centered, intolerant male chauvinist prick I am, and now I'm getting The Silent Treatment.

Works for me...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's unmarried sister means well, but she's judgmental and passive aggressive, and has asked my wife to chauffer her to from the airport maybe 50 times in our 20 years of marriage. (That's an aside). I can only handle brief snippets of chit chat with her.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
This is why men have garages. Or barns.

God bless America.

Posts: 13492 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
My wife knows better than to expose me to such people, be they friends, family or whatever. She knows my patience has bounds and, when those bounds are exceeded, well...

Heck, Paul: You got what you wanted, right? Silence Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Are there any treacherous cliffs on your walking routes? Just ask'n. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
Are there any treacherous cliffs on your walking routes? Just ask'n. Smile

Jim

SiL walks some of the more challenging trails at Acadia. Including one called (IIRC) The Cliff Walk. Several people have fallen over the years. For a 76 year old lady, she's VERY active.

Including, unfortunately, her mouth...

Posts: 15221 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Heck, Paul: You got what you wanted, right? Silence Smile

Well, yeah, but you know how that goes. She does make a good point tho: She doesn't have anybody to talk to, and I should be more willing to put up with her sister for an hour or two. Most days, I can manage it. Today was not one of those days.

I've often thought that if somebody wanted to give me the Perfect Gift, it would be a solid week of never hearing another human being speak. I don't want to go deaf or anything, I just want people to stop babbling.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

...I've often thought that if somebody wanted to give me the Perfect Gift, it would be a solid week of never hearing another human being speak. I don't want to go deaf or anything, I just want people to stop babbling.

I wouldn't insist on absolute silence, I just wish that if they didn't have anything to say, they didn't say anything. Some people seem to be allergic to quiet.

Your SIL sounds like a separate issue. You don't sound close enough to her to warrant intimate conversation, and she's not smart enough to avoid intimate topics - you know, sex, politics, and religion. She sounds like a clod.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
I've often thought that if somebody wanted to give me the Perfect Gift, it would be a solid week of never hearing another human being speak. I don't want to go deaf or anything, I just want people to stop babbling.
I'm hearing impaired. When I got my current set of hearing aids at Costco, the audiologist programmed them with the "spouse switch" option; if I press one of the control buttons on the left earpiece and hold it for three seconds, the hearing aid amplifiers turn off. They stay muted until I press and hold the same control button.

Haven't used them as a "spouse switch" yet (I kind of like having TWO testicles), but I do use this feature when I'm going to do something noisy, like for instance power up the hydraulic pump that raises and lowers the big hangar door.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a win to me. Sorry that you offended your wife.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Don't you have a Trump shirt you could wear? How about a less offensive one, like my "Hillary for prison" shirt.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
now I'm getting The Silent Treatment.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:

I wouldn't insist on absolute silence, I just wish that if they didn't have anything to say, they didn't say anything. Some people seem to be allergic to quiet.

Your SIL sounds like a separate issue. You don't sound close enough to her to warrant intimate conversation, and she's not smart enough to avoid intimate topics - you know, sex, politics, and religion. She sounds like a clod.

The highlighted statement is exactly right. If you don't have anything to say, or don't know what you're talking about, SHUT UP!

She was actually arguing with my wife, she knows better than to start that shit with me. I was a captive audience in the truck and it was one of those days where it got on my last nerve.

Wife is talking to me again (dang it... Razz ) and says she's "...worried about me. You can't stand to see other people have a little fun."

"Arguing for no reason is fun?"

"It is for us."

God help me.

Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
Bring a pair of headphones and enjoy some tunes while the hens cluck.

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If she couldn't figure out it was time to STFU, I see no problem with you pointing it out.

LOL... but I can see the wife not liking it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10728 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Thank you for my laugh of the day.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't know what earbuds are for, do ya?

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I got yelled at today at work by a guy who was complaining that his neighbor had a gun and it was "unregistered". I explained to him that gun registries were and should be illegal here. He then yelled at me for making things "political" and that no one in their right mind would support not having mandatory gun registries.

My grand dad had a saying about the differences between people thinking you are an idiot and you opening your mouth and proving it.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, there is no doubt in my mind who the snowflake voted for last year.....

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I got yelled at today at work by a guy who was complaining that his neighbor had a gun and it was "unregistered". I explained to him that gun registries were and should be illegal here. He then yelled at me for making things "political" and that no one in their right mind would support not having mandatory gun registries.

My grand dad had a saying about the differences between people thinking you are an idiot and you opening your mouth and proving it.

Oh, and in case you are wondering, there is no doubt in my mind who the snowflake voted for last year.....

Sometimes getting the truth out seems to cause a lot more trouble than it's worth but SOMEBODY needs to get it out! Some people are just too stupid to ever listen or turn away from BS but you never know when some other person might glom onto the conversation and realize how right you were and how wrong the other person was. When good people don't speak out the truth ignorance and idiocy gets worse.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Next time its walk time, tell them to go without you and enjoy themselves without you.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post