SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I give up. Mother nature and karma.....You win.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I give up. Mother nature and karma.....You win. Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
FN in MT, I feel for you, and is hardly avoidable when your caught out in the thick of it unexpectedly like you did in such a nice vehicle. That would make me gut sick also.

I'm reminded of a story after Hurricane Andrew here in 92'. My good friend from work thought that if he parked his new car between these two large townhouse's he'd be spared a lot of the brunt of the wind debris. However, what he didn't take into consideration was that those townhouses had barrel tile roofs that though were new and well constructed, nobody ever imagined this particular hurricane reaching category 5 in a matter of a couple hours before landfall.

Needless to say, it ravaged those barrel tile roofs and sent those chunks and chips of barrel tiles thru the air like razor blades. His new car was gashed, gouged, windowless, roofless, and looked like a car from the streets in the middle east that got blasted by an IED. With no windshield and roof and hole ridden car, he drove it into work that following day. We had to report as we all worked for the power company and had to get started on recovery efforts.

I'll never forget that sight, my first impression was a vehicle you'd see in a Mad Max production, it was totaled. I was actually surprised it would still run actually.

So yea, I can feel your pain, what a wicked Mother we have in nature at times!

***CORRECTED thanks ZMICHAEL Smile***

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the damage on your Porsche.

I wouldn't be driving in 80-100mph winds if I could avoid it, it's flat out dangerous.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Sorry to hear your car was blasted. That sucks a lot. Moving forward, after it is repaired, take a look at Xpel protection film. It is pretty incredible. The chips and scratches will be protected. It does assist in the prevention of dings as well. It’s pretty amazing stuff.

I don’t work for, and I am not compensated by Xpel. I just like their product.

https://www.xpel.com/shop/pain...n-film/ultimate-plus
Interesting.

What kind of vehicle did you use this on, and what was the cost?

As stated in my original post, 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman.

I had Xpel Ultimate installed 5 days earlier. Entire frontt end, quarter panels and rockers, door posts and 10" up onto the roof. The cost was $1500. It surely saved the paint, but the impact speeds were enough that it appears I did get some total penetration on the film. Had I not had the film damage would have been far worse.

New OEM windshield already ordered. That will make a big difference.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
FN in MT, I feel for you, and is hardly avoidable when your caught out in the thick of it unexpectedly like you did in such a nice vehicle. That would make me gut sick also.

I'm reminded of a story after Hurricane Andrew here in 92'. My good friend from work thought that if he parked his new car between these two large townhouse's he'd be spared a lot of the brunt of the wind debris. However, what he didn't take into consideration was that those townhouses had barrel tile roofs that though were new and well constructed, nobody ever imagined this particular hurricane reaching category 5 in a matter of a couple hours before landfall.

Needless to say, it ravaged those barrel tile roofs and sent those chunks and chips of barrel tiles thru the air like razor blades. His new car was gashed, gouged, windowless, roofless, and looked like a car from the streets in the middle east that got blasted by an IUD. With no windshield and roof and hole ridden car, he drove it into work that following day. We had to report as we all worked for the power company and had to get started on recovery efforts.

I'll never forget that sight, my first impression was a vehicle you'd see in a Mad Max production, it was totaled. I was actually surprised it would still run actually.

So yea, I can feel your pain, what a wicked Mother we have in nature at times!

My issues are FAR less than your poor friend.

Reminds me of the occasional super hail storms we get out here in the summer. They can absolutely destroy vehicles, tractors, aircraft, buildings, etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hahaha, your post made me laugh because you described MT nearly perfectly. Although I'm in Flathead and get considerably less wind, I fully understand suicidal deer.
I was sitting in some traffic due to an accident and out of no where, a buck comes running through a cherry orchard and slams full speed into the side of my truck. A non moving white Ram 1500! Still have the antler indents.
Vehicles indeed get Montanified pretty quick.

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
With 0-60 4.9 sec and 170 MPH top end a quick U turn and burn and you should have outrun that sand storm!

But Officer I had to go 165 to outrun the gravel storm!

Sorry to hear about your car, probably not a good idea to get it out until the roads are cleared, hopefully your insurance will fix it right up...

Posts: 23240 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So.... is this a karma for a slightly used 2018 Cayman S? ‘Cause I’m in if it is.

(Sorry to hear about your troubles, that would grind my gears as well, good luck getting her fixed)

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
My issues are FAR less than your poor friend.

Reminds me of the occasional super hail storms we get out here in the summer. They can absolutely destroy vehicles, tractors, aircraft, buildings, etc.

In the long run though he actually did well with his car being totaled, the new vehicle he replaced it with he was happier with!

Yea, I've seen some of the damage on cars that get pelted with good sized balls of hail. And nothing worse to get caught out in it scrambling for shelter too. I hope that you get squared away. It would be neat to see some before and after photos when the repairs are done. It's amazing what they can do with auto body repairs these days. At any rate, I'm sure that it's going to cost a good penny to bring it back to perfection, thank God for insurance when you need them.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post