SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is there anything that can be done to stop telemarketers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there anything that can be done to stop telemarketers? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
My next door neighbor got two calls "from me" last week.

Had a young lady call me the other day, asking who I was and why I'd called her. (My number had shown up in her "missed calls" list.) I responded I had no idea, because I didn't recognize her number, and that some telespammer or scammer had probably spoofed my number.

quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
If I don't recognize the # I don't answer it.

This^^^^^ If I miss one that's important I figure they'll leave VM.

I only answered the one because I was expecting a call and I wasn't certain from what number.

I really get very few telespam calls. Both T-Mobile and my VoIP provider have pretty effective telespammer detection/blocking.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my home and phone voicemail was stolen from the dresden files.

Dresden's taxidermy,
you snuff'm
we stuff'm

cut down on calls by at least half, voicemails stopped completely.

Later I found that changing it to a non descript buisness name works just as well.

now it is

Metropole industries leave a message.

poof, maybe half the calls I used to get.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^ We moved to our current location over 11 years ago and the phone number we got was to an Ice Cream shop that went out before we moved here. To this day we still get calls from either costumers wondering what the hours are or from banks looking to increase business credit line.

This last primary election here was bad too. we'd have daily robocalls in support of the local candidates. Don't know why we bother with a land line anymore. All our personal calls go to the cell.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
^^^^ We moved to our current location over 11 years ago and the phone number we got was to an Ice Cream shop that went out before we moved here. To this day we still get calls from either costumers wondering what the hours are or from banks looking to increase business credit line.

This last primary election here was bad too. we'd have daily robocalls in support of the local candidates. Don't know why we bother with a land line anymore. All our personal calls go to the cell.

And now my and the wife's cell phones are being called all the time also, by these kind people that want to "help" me!!!

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AT&T has an app called Call Protect. It's not perfect, but it has reduced the number of spam calls I get on my cell. Comcast Voice has a really nifty service to identify and block telemarketers. Not sure what it's called, I turned it on from Xfinity Connect.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
^^^^ We moved to our current location over 11 years ago and the phone number we got was to an Ice Cream shop that went out before we moved here.

When I first moved to an apartment in DC in 1970, the number given to me had previously been issued to a 24 hour pharmacy in Georgetown.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Don't answer the phone for numbers you don't know (unless you are expecting a call / etc).

If they don't leave a message, block the number.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post