SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is there anything that can be done to stop telemarketers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there anything that can be done to stop telemarketers? Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
I literally get 5 calls a day from “Vehicle Warranty Department” on my cell phone. Always a new number (because I block the old ones), but obviously with 10 digits they have a pretty much unlimited source of spoof numbers.

I’ve reported it to the FCC. I’ve made sure I’m on the Federal Do Not Call list. Is there anything I can do to stop these assholes?

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Would definitely be nice. I imagine I get 10-15 random calls per week.
I've resorted to almost exclusively answering calls from numbers I know.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15254 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]I literally get 5 calls a day from “Vehicle Warranty Department” on my cell phone. Always a new number (because I block the old ones), but obviously with 10 digits they have a pretty much unlimited source of spoof numbers.[

Tell them you are incarcerated and ask them to call back during visiting hours.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
I literally get 5 calls a day from “Vehicle Warranty Department” on my cell phone.
Tell them that the engine just blew up. 'Sploded all over the garage wall. Is this covered by your warranty?

I had the same thing not too long ago when I bought a car from a large Ford dealer. If there is a next time, when the paperwork is being done, I will give the dealer the phone number for somebody who rally aggravates me. Revenge!

I'm pretty sure that the contact information that you give to the dealer goes into some sort of vehicle registration database, and the slime balls who keep pestering you to sell a warranty scavenge the phone number from that database.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Answer and ask them if they’re wearing something sexy. Make it as uncomfortable for them as possible.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
What if it's dude calling? Oh, wait... that might work even better. Smile

Or maybe not. Frown

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30639 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Mozambique Drill

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
I literally get 5 calls a day from “Vehicle Warranty Department” on my cell phone. Always a new number (because I block the old ones), but obviously with 10 digits they have a pretty much unlimited source of spoof numbers.

I’ve reported it to the FCC. I’ve made sure I’m on the Federal Do Not Call list. Is there anything I can do to stop these assholes?
Me too, now on my cell phone. I hang up immediately. I have reported them to donotcall.gov but have never heard any feedback.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why I still have a landline, and use it on all paperwork at stores. I've recently had some days with no calls to one day with about ten calls! Answering machine gets to handle it.

Maybe you can buy one of those VOIP devices, get a number separate from the ones you use normally - use it for that purpose.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Someone needs to invent an app that makes the caller's phone explode when you answer them.

Mad

Between those assholes and the ones who send spam email, I get probably no less than 100 per week. It pisses me off to no end.

Some regulation of this "industry" is necessary.

Posts: 20065 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blocking numbers is pointless since telemarketers spoof their source caller id to make it look either local or some number you normally call. Given how much companies can learn based on calling patterns and money they make selling that info, blocking telemarketers isn't a technical issue.

When I called and discussed this with the FCC last year, they said we should contact our federal representatives. Landline and mobile phone providers spend a lot of money to get legislation the way they want. If enough people complain and representatives feel enough pressure, things could be changed.

Posts: 2360 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talk about their mama!

Posts: 1606 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Invent some device somehow connected to the telemarketers' phones that instantly taze them the moment they dial the DNC numbers. Then, you'll become a millionaire.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Mozambique Drill

Can you help me on dialing in elevation on India? Curvature of Earth and variations in gravity keep fudging up my shot.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell them your vehicle is a 2003 with 320,000 miles and ask them if they have a warranty to cover it because the engine has a funny knocking noise in it.......

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I ask to be removed from their list. That stops the honest ones.

If they dont stop.... then I mess with them. Relentlessly. Eventually they stop calling me.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Mozambique Drill

Can you help me on dialing in elevation on India? Curvature of Earth and variations in gravity keep fudging up my shot.

Probably that Toyota Coriolis thingy...

You'll need to consult with a Rocket Surgeon. Hope one is in your HMO network.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43859 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
I ask to be removed from their list. That stops the honest ones.

Considering they’re calling a number on the “Do Not Call List” in the first place, why would you assume you can trust them to remove it. More likely it goes on a list of numbers proven to be answered when called and sold at a premium.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
Tell them your vehicle is a 2003 with 320,000 miles and ask them if they have a warranty to cover it because the engine has a funny knocking noise in it.......

I’ve tried this. Told them my car was a 1970 Mazda Z 360. They said it was too old to cover, but they still call daily.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Yes, I am at my computer, its a Commodore 64 so can you help me?". "Rachel, can the credit card be used for prostitutes?". "My car is in the police impound lot". "Medicare supplement insurance, I am 27 not 72". "Why should I vote for her, she's a woman". "New $30 billion transit plan, How will I vote? I moved to Alaska"

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post