SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Is there anything that can be done to stop telemarketers?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there anything that can be done to stop telemarketers? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
From time to time, I will answer and let them start their spiel. Then tell them I have to answer the door. I then put them on speaker to see how they wait for me to come back to the phone.
Record thus far: 12 minutes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of goingbroke
posted Hide Post
The only luck I have is that I run my towing business based off Verizon Wireless and I have the ability to "block" their numbers permanently.

Then, you have Google...

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 5055 | Location: South of Atlanta | Registered: July 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Blocking numbers is pointless since telemarketers spoof their source caller id to make it look either local or some number you normally call.

My next door neighbor got two calls "from me" last week. She emailed me to find out what was up. (My name showed on the CallerID because I was in her Contacts list).

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I don't recognize the # I don't answer it.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
You guys are lucky. I almost always get robocalls.
However, when I get a live one, I have a large orange distress whistle.
There is "no more robo" that. Keep trying to get to. It might help.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:Blocking numbers is pointless since telemarketers spoof their source caller id to make it look either local or some number you normally call.

I got one that, after doing an internet search for the number, was from Corona, CA city hall. At 7:45 PM on a Sunday evening? I don't think so. It had to have been spoofed.

I get probably half a dozen calls a week from the local area code and 748 prefix. This is the same as that of my TracFone, so you know damned well they're calling from another TracFone.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I never use my land line, it's just part of my cable/internet/phone bundle. If it rings, it's a wrong number or a telemarketer. Occasionally I get the urge to call , and I say "METRO VICE". the disconnect is pretty quick

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get probably half a dozen calls a week from the local area code and 748 prefix. This is the same as that of my TracFone, so you know damned well they're calling from another TracFone.
Could be from another TracFone, but spam / scam callers can, and do, spoof caller ID. I bet that there is software that is fairly sophisticated -- sets the spoofed caller ID to an unused (disconnected, no longer in service) directory number in the same area code / office code as the number that they are calling.

I spent many years as a telephone system engineer. To explain the terms I'm using, your ten digit phone number as this format: (aaa) bbb-cccc, where "aaa" is the area code, "bbb" is the office code (Central Office) and "cccc" is the directory number within that area code / office code combination.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I think next time I’ll put them on speaker and tell them to hold on while I get another beer.

I only answer when I feel the need for entertainment. The stuff their peddling is less than zero use for me.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I bet that there is software that is fairly sophisticated -- sets the spoofed caller ID to an unused (disconnected, no longer in service) directory number in the same area code / office code as the number that they are calling.

See my post a few posts above. They don't pick an "unused" number to spoof with, just a random number within the area code range. My neighbor received calls from my number, when I did not call her. I used to block every one like that, but now I don't, because I might accidentally be blocking a real person here in town. I just don't answer if I don't recognize it, and they'll leave a voice mail if they need to. Even the telemarketers sometimes leave voicemails.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you are a friend or family member, I likely already have you in my phone.

If I don't know the number I don't answer.

If no message is left, I block the number.

You get one chance.

Ed McMahon and any relatives with money are dead.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fwbulldog:
I’ve reported it to the FCC. I’ve made sure I’m on the Federal Do Not Call list. Is there anything I can do to stop these assholes?

I would at least report it on the National Do Not Call Registry site.

https://www.donotcall.gov/

Supposedly, they can go after these scum and fine them.
I was able to get one Medicare spammer to finally stop after repeatedly reporting them, being persistant is the key.

FWIW: I also had these warranty assholes calling and sending letters that my warranty was about to expire withing two weeks of buying a NEW car with a factory 50,000 mile, 5 year warranty.
It seems that it may be the drivers license and/or vehicle registration agencies that dish out age and registration information to these parasites.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I use the HIYA app to block ALL calls that are not on my contact list. HIYA will send a text explaining why they were blocked. The caller (if real) can reply to the text. HIYA is not for everyone but it works pretty good for me.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I use the HIYA app to block ALL calls that are not on my contact list. HIYA will send a text explaining why they were blocked. The caller (if real) can reply to the text.
I see a bit of a problem with that: If the incoming call originated from a landline, it won't receive text. In fact, believe it or not, there are some cell phones that do not receive text.

My approach, when I don't feel like asking Amy what she's wearing, is to just let the call go to voicemail if I don't recognize the number. My voicemail "greeting" is very terse. Four words: "Please leave a message." That's it. I don't identify myself, I don't say "You have reached V-Tail's voicemail." I figure if the caller really does know me, s/he will recognizee my voice. If not, the caller can leave a message. Or not.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
95% of the ones I get are robots. It’s kinda pointless to talk to a recoded voice and no I’m not going to spend the time to press one to talk to one of their representatives.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
Don't know whose calling?

Simple

Don't answer, unless you've got OCD, then I'd suggest throwing the phone away if you really want less aggravation.

I always take the time to see whose calling before answering.

If I don't recognize the caller, screw em...I don't answer.

Easy.

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When they get to the make, model part.... I tell them I have a Lamborghini, Fararri or some other exotic, they always hang up on me.

Those vehicles need coverage too!!! Wink

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
What would be great, but as far as I know it's not available, would be a white list blocker that would accept only specified 10 digit numbers and specific area codes.

If incoming is not on white list it's blocked.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1487 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Birdvol:
Don't know whose calling?

Simple

Don't answer

If I don't recognize the caller, screw em...I don't answer.

That is what I usually do. However, recently while driving I got a call from Cookeville, TN. Since I don't know anyone from greater Cookeville, I let it go to voicemail. Apparently, my wife set off our residential alarm when leaving the house, and this was the monitoring company. By the time I pulled over, checked the voicemail, contacted my wife to confirm it was her, and call back the monitoring company, they had contacted everyone on my notification list. As I was on the phone with the monitoring company, my B-I-L and my work were calling me to tell me my alarm was going off, which I already knew of course.

I asked the operator about the number(s) they call from so I could put them into my contacts and recognize them in the future. She said they had about 25 outgoing lines, so that wouldn't work.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I enjoy talking to them. It's nice speaking to Pam, even though I'm pretty sure she is in Burma

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post