SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New cell phone = new charger cord
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New cell phone = new charger cord Login/Join 
posted
And boy, do I now have a bunch of useless charger cords!

I just bought an I Phone 7 (needed an Apple product to load Foreflight) with its own cord. So the cord from my Samsung J3 is now useless. Before that, the cord from my Galaxy 4 became useless. And before that it was a primitive flip phone.

Will the part that goes into the phone ever be a standard size????

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
And boy, do I now have a bunch of useless charger cords!

I just bought an I Phone 7 (needed an Apple product to load Foreflight) with its own cord. So the cord from my Samsung J3 is now useless. Before that, the cord from my Galaxy 4 became useless. And before that it was a primitive flip phone.

Will the part that goes into the phone ever be a standard size????

Apple has always had proprietary connectors. Pretty much every other smart phone is using USB-C.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Virtually all non-Apple smartphones were micro USB for around 10 years. I expect USB-C will be around for at least that long. Apple used the same connector from the original iPhone to the iPhone 5 (IIRC) before going to the new connector.

There was far less standardization among old flip phones, and to a lesser extent the intermediate "feature phones".

Posts: 3659 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The generic Amazon cord for the Apple is the best one in my opinion, comes in different lengths, is more durable, and a lot less expensive.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Foreflight. Good choice. Been a user since they started. It is such a good app.

Wife calls it the foreplay app since I'm always on it planning flights.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
At least Apple is keeping it as the lightning connector for awhile. 5c all the way up to maybe the new 8s?

I started with usb, then micro usb, then old apple big jack, then micro usb, then apple lightning, now i'm usb-c with DASH charging.

At least I can give my apple cords to my daughter, but the only thing I have now that is microusb is ??

I forked out a pretty penny to get usb-c cords.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8011 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Just buy your cables from amazon. You can get quality cables at reasonable prices there. Read the reviews before you buy though.

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
It may have to do with the charging rate of the battery charger.

EDIT:

New specifications

Many different smartphone chargers... BEGONE!There are now four USB specifications — USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.1 — in addition to the new USB-C connector. We’ll point out where they significantly differ, but for the most part, we’ll focus on USB 3.0, as it’s the most common. In a USB network, there is one host and one device. In almost every case, your PC is the host, and your smartphone, tablet, or camera is the device. Power always flows from the host to the device, although data can flow in both directions, such as when you copy files back and forth between your computer and your phone.

Okay, now the numbers. A regular USB 1.0 or 2.0 socket has four pins, and a USB cable has four wires. The inside pins carry data (D+ and D-), and the outside pins provide a 5-volt power supply. USB 3.0 ports add an additional row of five pins, so USB 3.0-compatible cables have nine wires. In terms of actual current (milliamps or mA), there are three kinds of USB port dictated by the current specs: a standard downstream port, a charging downstream port, and a dedicated charging port. The first two can be found on your computer (and should be labeled as such), and the third kind applies to “dumb” wall chargers.

In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A). The charging downstream and dedicated charging ports provide up to 1,500mA (1.5A). USB 3.1 bumps throughput to 10Gbps in what’s called SuperSpeed+ mode, bringing it roughly equivalent with first-generation Thunderbolt. It also supports power draw of 1.5A and 3A over the 5V bus.

https://www.extremetech.com/co...g-up-your-smartphone

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
The generic Amazon cord for the Apple is the best one in my opinion, comes in different lengths, is more durable, and a lot less expensive.

That's where we bought ours from. We have a few extras.

The 6 ft one works great for reaching to the back of the car since my wife sits in the back with the baby.

Posts: 13091 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

These are my favorite too. I have a couple of the 6 footers.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Foreflight. Good choice. Been a user since they started. It is such a good app.

Wife calls it the foreplay app since I'm always on it planning flights.
User Interface, etc., ForeFlight is # 1.

However, if you are a CFI, or military, WingX Pro is a better choice, 'cause it's FREE for those people. It also can use a whole bunch of different external devices for ADS-B, where ForeFlight is restricted to Stratus or Stratus clones.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The upcoming iPhone 8 is rumored to have a USB-C charging plug, not Lightning as has been since the iPhone 5 series.

I'm skeptical and think they will stick with Lightning.

Amazon is a good source as is Monoprice for Lightning charging cables for iPhones.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
My Note 4 died so I picked up a Samsung S8+... I have about thirty USB cords but it uses a USB-C cord... Ugh... Well, at least it's easy to plug in when it's dark...

-Tom

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Replacement Tommel,

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
When I upgraded to my HTC 10 last year, rather than buy all new USB-C cables, I bought these adapters for my microUSB cables. They work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post