SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Website chat is, well, not good.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Website chat is, well, not good. Login/Join 
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted
Over the years there were times when I've had a problem and either been on a site or purposefully went to a site for help on the issue. I've tried to solve the problem with a chat conversation. Might be like a dozen times over the years. Never, ever have I been able to resolve a damn thing using that method. Why do they even offer this when it never seems to work.

Maybe it's just me.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I probably have about a 20% success rate with this method. Usually wind up chatting with "Peggy" in some third-world shithole. Peggy reads from a script and most of the time is totally useless.

The problem is bad for me, as I am hearing impaired and telephone does not work with my hearing aids.

The one notable exception: Amazon's chat usually, not always, but most of the time, resolves the problem for me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Amazon's chat has always worked very well for me.

At my old job I was on the team that implemented a chat function with our help desk website. Not only did it reduce hold times for those who still chose to phone in by 75 percent, it helped raise first contact resolutions significantly.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
I chatted with "Jessica" at Budsgunshop.com and my problem was resolved.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Our company's help desk has the chat option and I have had a lot of success using it. I prefer it to actually calling them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3848 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I"ve had pretty good luck with using the chat when someone actually picks up the chat odd that some companies offer the service but nobody ever seems to pick up the request.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
20% success rate with this method

Yes, but better than trying to use an "unknowledgeable base". One would think a knowledge base in effect for years might learn something!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4263 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I spent 3 hours chatting with someone at Verizon Wednesday night. What a joy. I just wanted to take advantage of a deal offered for the next two years. Three hours to confirm I'd be getting new router and cable box. I repeat, three hours of negotiating and arguing.

In the end "David" won I guess. I got everything I wanted for less than I expected to pay, but I couldn't get him to waive the $50 to ship the equipment. I tried everything I could think of, I hate losing.

I did end up going to their latest router (mine sucks over 50' away from it and was 8 years old) and latest DVR to replace ancient one I had. I can now record six shows simultaneously if I so choose to. The real thing I hated was the second or two delay when pressing the button and response on the menu to respond on DVR.

I got the new equipment for an increase from $137 to $142 per month with same channels and triple the internet speed (75 vs 25 mbps per second up/down). Considering my bill was going to go up $25 per month in March, not too bad outcome.

While I did get everything I wanted except free shipping, it was the biggest pain in the ass ever. I guess in the end saving $20 per month with faster speed and new equipment was worth it.

$480 less over next two years and $100 gift card less $50 shipping adds up to almost three cases of ammo.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Only times I've ever used this was with Sprint, first time for obtaining a SIM card for a used Sprint HTC M8, the second time setting up an online account for our Sprint broadband.

Both went well, no complaints.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
My latest attempt, which triggered this thread. Hit chat on AMEX site. Simple question about payment date. I first got a virtual response. No love with that. Then a little survey asking if the virtual agent had handled the problem. Uh, nope.

Here you go, a real person will answer shortly. I figure five minutes or so should give them a chance to at least initiate. Not so much.

The time before was with a Netflix agent. Good attentive person who hung in there but no real solution. Not her fault, really. It was a problem between Netflix and Dish that no one could solve for about two or three weeks.

Posts: 1957 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
I swear some of those chat functions are just shitty AI software programs.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've had 100% luck with web site chats for customer assistance, except with Samsung, whose customer service is known to be crap, anyway, so that doesn't count.

I've had such good luck with it that I tend to prefer it over phone or email. It's real-time, like the phone, and I can get a transcript, like with email.

And there's no hearing issues, problems with accents, etc. Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Jess...you should call him back and tell him you got a better deal with Cox. Big Grin

Two Verizon persons were here this past week trying to sell me their cable service. I told them how Verizon had trashed my yard at two places and killed one of my $400 Sky Rocket Junipers and even the CEO failed to response to my complaint.

Also why do I need their service when I get 61 TV channels over the air.

They were persistent so I finally just told them to get off my property. Mad

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I've had great experiences using the chat feature on the Sears Parts Direct website.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16509 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yep...put me in the camp that has good success with using chat to resolve issues.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Great success using chat, several times.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
You guys are giving me some optimism that I might actually solve a problem with chat someday.