SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CCW Class
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW Class Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

I took a Practical Fundamentals class from Bruce Gray at a range in Orlando
When was that? We might have been in the same class. I believe I did it in 2010, at the club east of the international airport.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
There were a few "ladies" in my class with small tiny semis that had finger nails so long they curled. Neither could load their 380's magazines nor hold their guns correctly I know one didn't pass.
I can't imagine paying for a ccw class when obviously they had never shot before.

We had 2 in my CHL class that had never held a handgun before.
Instructor told them to get some training & time at the range; and that she would not sign off on their class before completing some prior training first...

Had one in my class. Never even held a gun in her life. Walked into some gun store and brought a chromed with pearl handgrips .357 magnum snub-nosed revolver. And magnum rounds for it.
She fired it once, dropped it and ran back to her car.
Her father came to the instructor's house later and retrieved the firearm.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never even held a gun in her life. Walked into some gun store and brought a chromed with pearl handgrips .357 magnum snub-nosed revolver. And magnum rounds for it. She fired it once, dropped it and ran back to her car.
That's funny. Sad and funny at the same time.

Not uncommon though, I get a lot of people who think that they should start with a small gun. They look at me kind of weird when I tell them that the smaller it is, the more skill and experience you need to handle it well.

When my wife started to shoot handguns, we started her on a S&W .22 LR revolver. Can't remember the model, but it was large and solid. K-frame?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I took my first Texas CHL class in the early '90s right after CHLs became law. We completed the the classroom portion and were getting ready to go outdoors to the range. The instructor informed everyone that all pistol should remain inside thier cases until we got to the range. One guy says "I don't have a case for mine can I carry it in my pocket"? The instructor says "is it empty" and the reply was "what, my pocket". Eek

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1905 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
In this thread, the problems have been with CCW classmates and yes I had a few in my class as well. However, the biggest problem in my class was the instructor. The State of Michigan always passes a law that requires you to take a class, but has nothing in place to offer the class. That's what happened with CCW. Tons of people wanting to take the class and very few instructors. So hurry up and get more instructors. My instructor should never have been allowed to teach pigs to sh*t. He was waving around a loaded gun in the classroom, sweeping every student in the class. I got up and took cover behind a support post in the room. He wanted to know what I was doing, and I told him I would sit back down when he put the gun away. He said if I was afraid of guns maybe getting a CCW was not a good idea. I told him I have had guns since I was 8 years old (in my 50's at the time)and that I was not afraid of guns but that I was afraid of people who didn't know how to handle guns safely. He put the gun away, and I passed the class.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
In our house, we call those kind of guys "Maahk" (like the Boston pronunciation of Mark).

When Dixie first wanted to go to SIG Academy, I took Handgun 102 with her and there was a guy from MA named "Maahk" there who needed to comment and inject his opinion on everything the instructor said during the classroom portion. I felt so bad for the instructor, but he was truly professional about it.

Now the shit I've seen on the actual range at my club's NRA Inside/Outside the Home classes is terrifying. I'd taken many classes at SIG before this one and never once been worried on the range. People were getting thrown out of my club's class for drawing and firing while instructors were down range, guns were dropped, someone got TWO squibs from handloads stuck in the barrel of their gun, etc.

What a hot fucking mess.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Instructor was competent and everyone in my class was safe and respectful of others . No issues .

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post