SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CCW Class
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW Class Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Protection from the guns within 1,000’ of s chocolate law. Still cannot carry on school grounds though.
I'm not familiar with this (I moved away in '14). What is it?

I have no idea, that's what I get for late night posting with auto correct on the iPad. Should be 1,000' or schools law.

The Gun Free School Zone Act is Federal.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ccw instructor wore a vest. Is that a common practice in training classes?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:

One of those bright orange ones? Probably so he stands out in the crowd at the range.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:

One of those bright orange ones? Probably so he stands out in the crowd at the range.
No he was wearing a bulletproof vest.And I was curious how common that is?

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With what I have heard described here, and what I have seen at some of the ranges, I would think that the BP vest would be a required part of every CCW/CPL class instuctor's uniform.

Posts: 346 | Location: Detroit | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a CCW class I observed some years ago in Ohio, the older folks broke out some fine artillery:
Turn of the century Colt SAA.
S&W .32 break open with "squeezer" grip safety.
H&R and Iver Johnson were in attendance, too.
And WWII 1911s.
And the 1911 folks could shoot! Must have been some experience there.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
No he was wearing a bulletproof vest.And I was curious how common that is?
For a CCW class, I wouldn't fault anyone for wearing a vest - Instructor or otherwise, with some of the fucking clowns trying to get a permit.

It's a good part of the reason I typically go shooting from 0800-0930, on a weekday, at the members only outdoor range. In all likelihood I'll have one of the 5 bays to myself, or worst case another member on the complete other side of the 25+ bench bay.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I've been a firearms instructor for going on 30 years. In ALL my classes, never once was any personal firearm or ammo been allowed in class. At the range, EVERYBODY starts off with .22s and progresses from there using MY firearms and factory ammo. Towards the end, anyone wanting to shoot their own firearm was welcomed to do it, only after I inspected the firearm, made sure it was empty/safe, and with factory ammo.

With older folks, my FIL is 87 and shoots regularly, every week, with a variety of handguns. His targets mostly have well-placed shots from 21 feet to 50 feet. He's an excellent shot!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
A couple decades ago I decided to get my CCW permit here in Virginia. Took my official US Army records to the office and was told they did not meet requirements and I would have to take a CCW class. OK, signed up and attended class. First session (run by an active duty marine) showed he had no idea what the hell he was doing. Finally, got to the range and I ended up teaching 4 women the basics, safety, etc, and then shooting. numb nuts just stood there.

BTW, my military records showed I qualified expert with every small arm in the unit. None of that helped because the assholes in that county office were hard line anti-gun.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a woman in my class who proudly announced that she had no intention of every using her shiny new gun but wanted to be able to care it so she could pull it out to scare off anyone that threatened her.

The instructor pretty much told her her her strategy would end with her being shot with her own gun and she left the class

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The firearms portion off the cc class it took in Florida consisted going outback of the shop, picking up the class provided revolver off a table and firing three blanks at the dumpster without sweeping the instructor or yourself. Some people actually didn't make the cut.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

The firearms portion off the cc class it took in Florida consisted going outback of the shop, picking up the class provided revolver off a table and firing three blanks at the dumpster without sweeping the instructor or yourself. Some people actually didn't make the cut.
Florida is kind of all over the place when it comes to these classes. The state requirements are pretty loose. You can go to a gun show, pay your fifty bucks or so, sit on an uncomfortable folding chair for three or four hours while somebody paces back and forth in front of the class, droning on, and then "fire" a handgun as you described.

Or, you can take a class from a conscientious instructor who will spend maybe half day in a classroom, following the NRA curriculum, and then go to a range where the instructor will actually do some decent coaching, and maybe let you try a variety of handguns.

Or, you might not have to take a class at all, if you can present evidence of firearm safety training, like a hunter safety course, or even a DD-214.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
There were a few "ladies" in my class with small tiny semis that had finger nails so long they curled. Neither could load their 380's magazines nor hold their guns correctly I know one didn't pass.
I can't imagine paying for a ccw class when obviously they had never shot before.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
A couple decades ago I decided to get my CCW permit here in Virginia. Took my official US Army records to the office and was told they did not meet requirements and I would have to take a CCW class. OK, signed up and attended class. First session (run by an active duty marine) showed he had no idea what the hell he was doing. Finally, got to the range and I ended up teaching 4 women the basics, safety, etc, and then shooting. numb nuts just stood there.

BTW, my military records showed I qualified expert with every small arm in the unit. None of that helped because the assholes in that county office were hard line anti-gun.
I hear you. I also took the Virgina class a while ago. I qualified Pistol Marksman in Coast Guard boot camp but it's not on my DD-214 and the CG doesn't have any record they can provide me. In Virginia, proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services is supposed to be sufficient evidence of competency with a firearm. I took an NRA class because I didn't want to take the chance getting denied after paying the application fee.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There’s a middle ground in many classroom settings. The facilitator wants some feedback & participation, but not to the point of slowing things down or big mouth/know it all.

We’ve also been to briefs where any questions delay completion

Hopefully the know it all gun guy backs it up with safe gun handling and shots on target. Showing up with a cheap Rossi(or whatever) revolver won’t help the street cred.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've overheard people say that they were going to take the CHP course so that they could get trained on how to use a handgun . WRONG . In Louisiana , you must demonstrate basic proficiency by firing at a target and doing a reload . About 50 rds total . They are not there to train you in weapons handling .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
There were a few "ladies" in my class with small tiny semis that had finger nails so long they curled. Neither could load their 380's magazines nor hold their guns correctly I know one didn't pass.
I can't imagine paying for a ccw class when obviously they had never shot before.

We had 2 in my CHL class that had never held a handgun before.
Instructor told them to get some training & time at the range; and that she would not sign off on their class before completing some prior training first.

Had a guy in the range portion do his qual with a 10mm Glock. Big, ragged hole in the middle of the target.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I hate Know-It-All's Mad

I would have told him to STFU much sooner.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I've unfortunately been in classes with students like those.

The ones that like to hear themselves talk
The "what if..." questions
The can't think out of the box ones
The ones who can't think....
The ones that know it all.

Yup. Buncha' "askholes." Big Grin

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Or, you might not have to take a class at all, if you can present evidence of firearm safety training, like a hunter safety course, or even a DD-214.

My dad dug out his DD-214 to get his Florida CWL. He shot one clip through an M1 Garand over the side of a ship once. That was the full extent of his military firearms training.

I was really disappointed with the firearms portion of my class, so I sought out additional training. I took a Practical Fundamentals class from Bruce Gray at a range in Orlando.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post