SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    CCW Class
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CCW Class Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Ok, so taking the CCW class here in Alaska to get my permit. Tonight was a 4 hour long classroom session and tomorrow is an 8 hour combination range and classroom session.

Over all the instructors are good and it would be great class if not for 2 class members. The first one was sitting behind me and was literally trying to teach the class. Commenting on everything the instructor had to say. After he went off on how revolvers are the only gun that should be used for defensive carry I finally had enough. I turned around and stated I had paid money to take a class from our instructor not him. At least he got the hint after that.

The second part of tonight's class was taught by a lawyer. He was good, smart, funny and knew his shit. But then problem student number 2 had to come into play. He could not wrap his head around anything thing that was not black and white and could not accept any gray areas. Every single concept of defense of self outside the home, defense of self inside the home, what is considered brandishing, etc. was met by a never ending series of, "What if..." and, "But..." questions. Dude, let it go, life is not a black and white situation.

Not a total waste of time, I did learn some important aspects of Alaska state statutes as they apply to firearms. Range session tomorrow should be interesting... I purposely plan on shooting an, "Unreliable semiautomatic" for qualification.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you had Kegger in the class. You're lucky he didn't blind you with his signal mirror. Smile

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Should have told #2;

"The class for 'Ansel Adam's Zone System' is down the hall!"

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Problem student no. 1 showed up at the range session this morning with his utterly reliable Taurus revolver...

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Put a few extra rounds in his target...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I taught a class recently about LE use of deadly force. I had a helper in the audience who pretended to ask questions, and then made statements like "If you shoot someone on the porch, drag them in the door."

I told the class that even if it was a good shoot, and they did that they would be charged with Tampering With Physical Evidence, a class D felony. He just stared at me and went back to jabbering.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Should have told #2;

"The class for 'Ansel Adam's Zone System' is down the hall!"

Hey, I have used the Zone System and it's all about getting the GRAYS just right, fact is a perfect negative has almost nothing that is perfectly Black or perfectly White.

PS; just purchased an Epson scanner that will do 8x10 film and at some point will get my old Monorail out of the closet and spend some quality time with old fashioned film.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Put a few extra rounds in his target...

Didn't need to, he did that on his own. Instructions were to fire 10 rounds at the target. Well his Taurus holds 6 rounds, he fired 6, reloaded and fired another 6. He got to shoot the first round of qualification on a do-over.

posted Hide Post
I'm in Cordova, is it worth getting a ak permit or is the constitution carry good enough?

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
There are some advantages to having a permit even with it not being required to carry concealed here. For me the class was worth it just for the session taught by the attorney.

Reciprocity with other states.

Not having to go through a background check when purchasing.

Protection from the guns within 1,000’ of s chocolate law. Still cannot carry on school grounds though.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Protection from the guns within 1,000’ of s chocolate law.”

That seems like a singularly unreasonable regulation.

Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a very senior couple in my ccw class that carried their .22s in fanny packs. They both flunked the shooting portion and left the class!

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teaching ccw is often an exercise in patience.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by midwest guy:
I had a very senior couple in my ccw class that carried their .22s in fanny packs. They both flunked the shooting portion and left the class!
The first time I lived in TX, the guy sitting next to me in the CHL class was 75. When he retired, he lived in a nice safe neighborhood, but he was now taking the class because he had a detached garage and was afraid to walk from the house to the garage Eek. He was shooting with a semi-auto he borrowed from his son (used to be dumb TX law where if you qualified with revolver you could only carry a revolver, but if you qualified with semi-auto you could carry revolver or semi-auto) and had only shot it once. We scored each other's targets and he barely passed (I shot 248/250).

The interesting couple who failed was some know-it-all tough guy and a woman in a very bad wig who had apparently told a plastic surgeon to give her the works (e.g. breasts were life preserver sized). We could never figure out if she was a stripper & he was BF, she was a hooker and he was her pimp, or both. The instructor got to the shooting portion quickly so people who couldn't pass could get on with their day (also, left him a more manageable classroom) and:
  • she was so unsafe handling her gun that the instructor took the gun away from her, failed her, and gave her a business card so she could sign up for shooting instruction.
  • he knew it all so he didn't listen to scoring and proceeds to try to shoot all head shots (missed more than he hit) which were 3 points. Even if you hit all 50 head shots, you'll fail by 20 points (passing is 170/250) so he failed by quite a margin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tatortodd,

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
    Protection from the guns within 1,000’ of s chocolate law. Still cannot carry on school grounds though.
    I'm not familiar with this (I moved away in '14). What is it?

I just did Constitutional carry during my 5 years. My Texas CHL switched to a non-resident CHL which helped with reciprocity when traveling (non-resident reciprocity has fewer states than resident). Used to have to take 1/2 day class to renew and just couldn't get down to TX to renew so I lost the reciprocity when it expired. Considered taking the Alaska class but never pulled the trigger.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dances With
    Tornados
    posted Hide Post
    You should have started calling him “Tackleberry”.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/Vom9iLDfb-Y

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Jack of All Trades,
    Master of Nothing
    Picture of 2000Z-71
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by tatortodd:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
    I'm not familiar with this (I moved away in '14). What is it?

I have no idea, that's what I get for late night posting with auto correct on the iPad. Should be 1,000' or schools law.

posted Hide Post
    I've unfortunately been in classes with students like those.

The ones that like to hear themselves talk
    The "what if..." questions
    The can't think out of the box ones
    The ones who can't think....
    The ones that know it all.

I was in a 3 week class a few years ago, there were 3 students that just LOVED to hear themselves talk. The rest of the class picked up on it about day 4.

Ya know how at the Emmys and other awards shows, if your acceptance speech goes over a certain time, they applaud you off the stage?

It's funny as hell when it's a room full of Cops! Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    My class was "taught" by videotape. No idiotic questions at all!

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I have taken the CCW classes and more advanced firearms training as well. The one advantage to these classes is that you can learn from the mistakes of others. Admittedly some of these are funny. I had a pistol with a crimson trace laser which frightened one of the class members. For some reason she also wanted to be on my right until the instructor indicated that my shell casings might come her way.

I am more concerned about those citizens that have had NO training whatsover and do not see the need to have any instruction.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post