SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    technology vendors and their software development strategies
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

technology vendors and their software development strategies Login/Join 
Picture of jcat
posted
Damn you. Damn you to hell.

I'm a big time Cisco kool-aid drinker. All my certs are Cisco, I have worked on primarily Cisco gear my whole career.

I'm not a programmer, can't stand it, but I do understand that no code is 100% perfect. There will always be bugs, I get it.

But holy SHIT, can we please by this point in your release train (version 8.2.151!!!!) just get a version that does the following three simple things:

1.) Fixes a couple of major, catastrophic, service interrupting bugs

2.) Is compatible with all of your various wireless hardware (APs and controllers)

3.) Doesn't introduce MORE catastrophic bugs

How hard is that?! The bug we're running into now, has apparently been around since release 8.0.100, a LONG FUCKING TIME!

To boot, we were promised this code to fix the other issues we're trying to get rid of, and had the publish date pushed back on us for a month and a half due to 'extended testing requirements'. Yeah, lot of good all that damn testing did, considering this one bombs out too!

So here I sit, half past midnight, trying to implement your janky workaround just so I can stop the users in my Melbourne, AU office from complaining about the fact that they can't get work done on the wi-fi, which they primarily use for Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube (AVC is a mo-fo if you're trying to hide this stuff, guys).

What a wonderful night.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcat,

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to ISE your NADs

Or some shit like that. I'm not a network nerd, but I know we have at least one Cisco SE on here..

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
Don't forget to ISE your NADs

Or some shit like that. I'm not a network nerd, but I know we have at least one Cisco SE on here..

Don't even get me started on ISE. Haven't had many software bug type issues but the PS time we paid for was utterly useless.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
Officially: No comment and the opinions expressed in this post are my own views and not those of Cisco.

Make sure your account team knows your issues, they can let the right people know.

One of my customers has caused some heartburn with uncovering 3 bugs in the same train of code in less than 2 weeks.

So I can sympathize with your frustrations.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mkueffer:
Officially: No comment and the opinions expressed in this post are my own views and not those of Cisco.

Make sure your account team knows your issues, they can let the right people know.

One of my customers has caused some heartburn with uncovering 3 bugs in the same train of code in less than 2 weeks.

So I can sympathize with your frustrations.

No worries, account team is well aware as is HTOM (yep, we're one of those customers)

I've upgraded code no less than half a dozen times in as many months, all for defect corrections. I don't mind upgrading if it's gonna fix stuff, but when you delay your release by a month and a half for supposed 'testing', I expect it to be pretty tight by the time I finally get it!

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It could be worse...the software you tied your wagon to could've been bought by Oracle. Hyperion Essbase used to be developed in CT and San Fran. Now it's all done in India. Pure shit. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
One word: Aerohive

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
One word: Aerohive

Yeah, I've got experience with most of the major players (ruckus, aerohive, etc). I like aerohive but trying to convince an enterprise with over 600 access points in 60 offices around the world to forklift from Cisco to anything else isn't easy.

I actually worked with Keith Parsons at a previous company when he was consulting for ruckus before joining aerohive. Talk about a dude who knows his stuff.