SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    I'm in the wrong business!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm in the wrong business! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I've told a few stories on here about Dale the Builder. Nice fella, but awful hard on equipment, and I make a fair bit of toy money fixing stuff for him.

Last fall he bought a new leftover 2016 Chebby Silverado 2500HD for his new work truck. The first day I saw him driving it I said to myself, "I wonder how long it will be before he puts the first major dent in it?"

Lasted longer than I thought, but he finally cleaned the passenger side mirror off it last week.

Manually extendable towing mirrors, heat, power adjust, clearance lights, turn signals in the mirror and little teeny backup lights on the outer edge.

I ordered a new mirror from Rock Auto that I thought was the right unit. $180 or so, didn't think that was too bad. When it came in, it was immediately obvious that I'd screwed up as the replacement mirror didn't have the backup lights or the clearance light on the front side.

Talked with Dale, decided to return the Rock Auto part and get an exact replacement.

Problem with that is, the exact replacement is a GM-only part. Priced anywhere from $425 to $500 depending on which GM parts house you looked at.

Cheesy Crackers! I need to open a parts store!

Dale decided he could live with two different mirrors "seeing as he'll likely clean one or both of them off again anyway."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ja, they are spensive. Heat, power, turn signals front and on glass and rear spots, about $350 option new. They still make a totally manual one, should be less than $100 at GM parts counter

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I bought a used Ford Edge a month or two ago. The passenger side mirror is not as fancy as the one you describe, this is power-adjustable, has a wide-angle segment built in, and a "puddle light" that shines down on the ground when you unlock the door. No turn signal, no front marker light, no back-up light.

I noticed, during the pre-buy, that it sort of skipped and hesitated when adjusting it. Assumed that it had plastic gears internally with maybe a gear tooth broken off.

Ford dealer agreed to take care of some other stuff as part of the deal but balked at replacing the mirror, so I haggled and got him to agree to give me the part at his purchase cost, no mark-up. THREE HUNDRED BUCKS! I didn't even ask what the cost would be to a customer, I decided to live with the tooth-skipping one until it totally craps out. Who knows, it might out live me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
In other news, an internet friend smacked his new Porsche Cayman mirror into the garage wall pulling out.

His total cost was $2049 for parts, paint and installation. This for a mirror without signals or collision warning indicators, just heat and fold.

That's just nuts, man! I shared with my wife, and will do so again tonight. That's pretty big incentive to watch the corners.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
In other news, an internet friend smacked his new Porsche Cayman mirror into the garage wall pulling out.

His total cost was $2049 for parts, paint and installation. This for a mirror without signals or collision warning indicators, just heat and fold.

That's just nuts, man! I shared with my wife, and will do so again tonight. That's pretty big incentive to watch the corners.
Over two grand for a Porsche mirror! WOW! The first Porsche that I owned, I bought new, for not much more than the cost of that mirror. The year was 1964, the car was a 1963 356B that had about 600 demo miles on it but had never been titled, so was technically new. I paid $3,450. Yup, just three and a half thousand for a new Porsche. Those were the days.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
New LED taillight assemblies are crazy expensive too.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
I noticed, during the pre-buy, that it sort of skipped and hesitated when adjusting it. Assumed that it had plastic gears internally with maybe a gear tooth broken off.

Sometimes you can move the mirror with your hand manually.

I have one on the 1992 Roadmaster that will only adjust one way so I adjust it manually. Smile Money in the bank.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post