SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No turn on red
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No turn on red Login/Join 
posted
There is a intersection I go through on a regular basis that has a no turn on red sign. This intersection is rather busy and I can somewhat understand. However, there are several opportunities during the light cycles for vehicles to turn right on red without incident. I would say almost 3-4 vehicles could safely turn. Nope. Lets let 15 cars back up and only have a green light long enough for 10 of them to make it through.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They're playing to the least common denominator these days.

IE, some turd Facebooking on her phone while driving and not paying attention.

But I feel your pain. I watched some bitch on the interstate coast from left side to the right side (2-3 lanes, depending on the exits) several times, hit the rumble strips, close within 12" of some other vehicle bumpers, and come within a second of major accident twice.

I finally burned by her on a straightaway and it was some fat desperate housewife making love to her phone. I honked and gave her the finger, but she never looked up.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So you're complaining that people aren't breaking the law and ignoring a posted sign? Confused

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
So you're complaining that people aren't breaking the law and ignoring a posted sign? Confused
I think he's complaining that there is a "No Turn On Red" side there when it's perfectly safe to turn on red sometimes.

I agree, there are a lot of No Turn On Red signs in PA that are pointless. You can see up and down the road far enough to be able to see if you can safely turn.

Instead of trying to keep traffic flowing they seem to be trying to slow it down and or stop it completely.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
some turd Facebooking on her phone while driving and not paying attention.

Do these types see signs? Wink

quote:
So you're complaining that people aren't breaking the law and ignoring a posted sign?

I suspect that he's complaining that the authorities have posted a sign that when complied with creates more problems than those it was intended to solve.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's an intersection near where I live that has a very legitimate "NO RIGHT TURN ON RED" sign. Intersection of two busy roads with a railroad track about 5 car lengths past the light.

It's legitimate enough that MNDOT has put up THREE signs prohibiting the practice, yet I see it happen almost daily.

Last week I was waiting to cross and saw a lady do it. She didn't see the trooper 2 cars behind her. Oooops!

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
There are probably opportunities to get through a red signal at times too. So as you make the illegal turn, are pedestrians crossing? traffic coming from conflicting areas? Waiting all of a few minutes going to kill you?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
They're playing to the least common denominator these days.

Yup. Even better when someone behind you leans on their horn, while filled to the brim with self-righteous fury, because you won't disobey a posted traffic device by making an illegal right.

To the credit of traffic engineers in my area, we now have flashing yellow left-turns on signaled intersections that used to only have left-on-green-arrows. So you don't have to wait for a green arrow, still have to watch for oncoming traffic though (a fact forgotten by some drivers).

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Build roundabouts. They are sprouting like weeds here.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:

I've seen a few accidents at round-abouts and a lot of near misses. People don't know how to yield these days...

"What is this round thing? I don't know, but I'm not slowing down, I'll just drive right in. Accidents only happen to other people."

Roll Eyes

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:

I've seen a few accidents at round-abouts and a lot of near misses. People don't know how to yield these days...

"What is this round thing? I don't know, but I'm not slowing down, I'll just drive right in. Accidents only happen to other people."

Roll Eyes

Bigger problem I feel is the idiot IN the roundabout who feels the need to brake to a stop to yield to yielding traffic. My bumper will meet your bumper at some point.
to the OP, some intersections are just too complex with left turn lanes (sometimes 2), bike lanes and crosswalks to allow turn on red. Also, if a turn on red is allowed, it's not mandatory to do so.
I've sat at a red waiting for pedestrians that have just jumped off a bus to fill the crosswalk while the car behind me blares his horn. Tough shit dude, pedestrians always get the ROW.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1120 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ugh. Please just no.

Pennsylvanians DO NOT KNOW how to use traffic circles/roundabouts. It's like a free-for-all of people all getting in them all at once, I hate the damn things.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They have added quite a few roundabouts here over the past 10 years. The most ill advised is the one near a major clinic where elderly people come from the small farm communities to the "big city" for their appointments. Holy crap! Navigating that one is always dicey.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:

Here, too!

They work okay for those who are used to them, but for the unfamiliar/uninitiated, they're downright terrifying.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Truly a sign that the end is near.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The plan here is to put a roundabout at our busiest intersection and another a half mile away at an entrance to a new Meijer store. The one for the Meijer entrance is on a downhill slope that is covered in truck skidmarks up to the existing traffic signal. Add some Yoop snow and it should be fun! The other one will be at the Wal-Mart entrance. Given the high flow of traffic on US41, your skeletal remains will be found in your out of gas vehicle before you can roundabout.
Construction begins in 2019. Cant wait. Roll Eyes

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

Just as bad at the "polite" folks who stop in the middle of a roundabout so they can wave traffic in.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
"polite" folks who stop in the middle of a roundabout so they can wave traffic in.

I call them something else. The person being waved in usually isn't paying attention.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is no way this type of intersection could be made into a roundabout.

There is a roundabout in a county park (25 mph road) the county police call the circle of death.

Roundabouts in PA would results in mass chaos until all the drivers who were born before the roundabouts are dead.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
There is no way this type of intersection could be made into a roundabout.

There is a roundabout in a county park (25 mph road) the county police call the circle of death.

Roundabouts in PA would results in mass chaos until all the drivers who were born before the roundabouts are dead.

I call ALL traffic circles in PA "The Traffic Circle of Mordor" because you are gambling with your life going into them, all of them. NOBODY in Pennsylvania seems to have a clue as to how they work, how to wait your turn to enter, how to get out of one. No, they just blast into them full speed ahead, damn the torpedoes!