SIGforum
Homework!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6120031734

February 01, 2018, 08:17 PM
fgwilliams1
Homework!
Just do it!!!
Sixth grade is gonna make me insane. An hours worth of homework is dragged out over six freaking hours. So much for fun family time.
The third grader knocks hers out Asap and pdq.
The sixth grade boy delays, whines, cries and procrastinates until after his bedtime.
Tell me I’m not the only one dealing with this waste of time syndrome.

On the other hand, both have straight high A’s in all classes.

GW.
February 02, 2018, 12:10 AM
Nismo
Does he have common core math? I'd probably procrastinate that shit also Frown
February 02, 2018, 12:15 AM
Icabod
Classtime is teaching to mastery. Homework is practicing what they have learned. I'll be he can do the work but doesn't see the point in doing something he already knows. Ask him if he's bored?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.
February 02, 2018, 06:25 AM
fgwilliams1
quote:
Originally posted by Icabod:
Classtime is teaching to mastery. Homework is practicing what they have learned. I'll be he can do the work but doesn't see the point in doing something he already knows. Ask him if he's bored?

That’s it exactly. Everything is boring and slow to him. This is the advanced program also. Currently he has 100 averages in all subjects for this grading period.

GW.
February 02, 2018, 03:02 PM
Elk Hunter
Sounds like my grandsons. Both straight A students in high school, both bored to tears!!!

The older one (Nate) was reported to his mom for skipping classes, especially math.

Reminded his mom that he was getting "A"s. and besides which the math teacher's English was so bad nobody could understand her.

Daughter went to monitor the claas. Annnnnd, Nate was absolutely correct. Chinese teacher who spoke extremely poor English. Should never have been hired. No explanation of why she was hired.

As a point of interest, after I retired I taught classes at the local community college for a while. Some in the day time, some at night.

What I quickly discovered was the the night students were much more motivated to learn, and had a leg up on the day students. Of course the night students were older and all had jobs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter
February 02, 2018, 05:26 PM
KenS
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:

....What I quickly discovered was the the night students were much more motivated to learn, and had a leg up on the day students. Of course the night students were older and all had jobs.....

And it was probably their own money or performance based company reimbursement.

Ken
February 02, 2018, 05:56 PM
Orguss
Yesterday, I saw a father sitting with his sons at a restaurant going over the math lesson for one of them. It was refreshing to see that level of commitment from a parent after seeing for seven years how parents would delegate to nannies and tutors the responsibility of teaching their children.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
February 02, 2018, 10:26 PM
1967Goat
No, you're not the only one. My 2 boys are in Kindergarten and First grade. The Kindie will bang out his homework no problem. The first grader...exactly as you describe. It's very frustrating.
February 04, 2018, 08:42 AM
flesheatingvirus
quote:
Originally posted by fgwilliams1:
On the other hand, both have straight high A’s in all classes.

It's all worth it, then. This is HUGE. I never had that problem because I always hated to be behind. Of course, I would have been very upset to bring home anything other than A's or a few B's, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
February 05, 2018, 10:35 AM
Perception
I was that way. By high school, my teachers had given up even asking if I did my homework. I aced all the tests, and I was bored.to.death in class. I flat out refused to do it, and people finally gave up trying to force me. It's sad, because I was blessed with a lot of really good teachers. They just weren't equipped to teach material that would have challenged me and the other students at the top of the class.

It sucks, but if his grades are up without it he probably sees it as a pretty big waste of time too, which makes doing it even more more painful.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."
February 05, 2018, 02:43 PM
FenderBender
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I was that way. By high school, my teachers had given up even asking if I did my homework. I aced all the tests, and I was bored.to.death in class. I flat out refused to do it, and people finally gave up trying to force me. It's sad, because I was blessed with a lot of really good teachers. They just weren't equipped to teach material that would have challenged me and the other students at the top of the class.

It sucks, but if his grades are up without it he probably sees it as a pretty big waste of time too, which makes doing it even more more painful.

X2

I do however recall all the fun I had not doing my homework.

life's strange that way, I had more time to do kid stuff and likely learned more than the bullshit homework would have taught me.
February 05, 2018, 05:51 PM
Anush
quote:
I do however recall all the fun I had not doing my homework.

Homework? I thought that was what you did on your way to school & between classes!

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch
February 06, 2018, 05:14 AM
Todd Huffman
I fought that battle with my son all through school, from K through 12. We fought non-stop over it, my wife tried to help him, everyone in the family. It didn't matter. That homework wasn't getting done. The harder I pushed, the harder he pushed back.

My daughter was the exact opposite, didn't even have to ask her to do her homework.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
February 06, 2018, 09:20 AM
homie
Be grateful, mine waits until the morning right before leaving for school to do it.
February 06, 2018, 09:26 AM
DSgrouse
wait till they get to high school. I am dealing with my 9th grader's algebra 2 teacher. The teacher talks about math for 8-10 min then sits down and tells the kids to work it out amongst themselves. She refuses to give my daughter any extra time before or after school, refuses to give her any extra worksheets to practice on. She refuses to respond to my emails.
February 06, 2018, 10:08 AM
Skull Leader
I think instead of letting a kid get away with not doing their homework it would be more in the kid's interest if they were given a choice between doing the homework or a chore you know they hate.

They are missing out on a life lesson if they aren't taught that sometimes we have to buckle down and do some things we don't want to.
February 06, 2018, 10:24 PM
houndawg
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
Does he have common core math? I'd probably procrastinate that shit also Frown

If taughr properly, common core wouldn't be in homework. It's meant for the classroom.
February 07, 2018, 02:43 PM
Pale Horse
Doing boring shit is a part of life and just because the work is boring is not an excuse to me.

Both of my kids (5th and 3rd grades) are straight A students and both are in advanced classes. Both can typically do their homework with little or no thought. But the rule is that they sit down and do homework within an hour or so of getting home unless special circumstances arise. Some of it bores them but to me homework can be as much a life lesson as it is a math lesson. I personally get to go do really fun and often challenging work all around the world. But when I come home I have to sit down and fill out a ton of boring ass paperwork. It sucks and it is boring but if I don't do it I won't get to keep my job. Homework is a part of their "job" and learning to be proactive now will help them in the future.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014