SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Thick cut" bacon is ham.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thick cut" bacon is ham. Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I googled "perfect bacon thickness" and it says 1/16" is normal, 1/8" is considered thick.
I can't say I've ever measured my bacons. I did see that huge package of bacon at my Costco today, and definitely regret not buying it after reading this thread.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:

I googled "perfect bacon thickness" and it says 1/16" is normal, 1/8" is considered thick.
I like metric bacon. 2mm is about right.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Where do you buy your kosher bacon at?

Wink

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Where do you buy your kosher bacon at?

Wink
Moishe delivers it. But not on Shabbos.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't say I've ever measured my bacons. I did see that huge package of bacon at my Costco today, and definitely regret not buying it after reading this thread.

Once upon a time, 1/8 was thick cut. It's like how a medium drink now, used to be a large drink.

Seriously, one of the key elements of bacon is the crispiness balanced with the thin but not too thin or too thick.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Thick cut peppered bacon is the only way to go.

And it should be cooked to a chewy doneness. Crispy bacon is overcooked and just wrong.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such a delightful topic!

My wife’s ring is inscribed:
“I love you more than bacon”
(Hat tip to Dave Truong, his elves and a tiny laser)

Costco Kirkland and Nueske’s Bacon are great stuff.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Archie Teuthis:
Such a delightful topic!

Costco Kirkland and Nueske’s Bacon are great stuff.

Burger's Smokehouse is a good alternative to Nueske's. Smile But for either buy slabs and cut to your preference!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
You're a monster.

This post makes me wish there was a "like" button on SIGForum! Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2047 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
Bacon Types

I think I agree with Arc that Canadian bacon is ham, eh?

I also think I could eat anything from that web page!

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1878 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Schweinshaxe is thick-cut bacon to me!

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Odin

I prefer thick-cut bacon. I can cook that just about perfect every time! yes, you'll get less than 16 slices per pound, but once cooked properly, its great! Canadian bacon has little or no fat. Bacon, regardless of thickness, needs fat in order to taste properly! Embrace the thick cut!
-odin

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
quote:
Odin

I prefer thick-cut bacon. I can cook that just about perfect every time! yes, you'll get less than 16 slices per pound, but once cooked properly, its great! Canadian bacon has little or no fat. Bacon, regardless of thickness, needs fat in order to taste properly! Embrace the thick cut!

Yup... average around 8 slices per pound. Sometimes more, sometimes less, all cut from a slab. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
If this ol' boy don't give you a hankering for some thick sliced goodness, there is no hope.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1878 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
i like the market basket thick cut bacon but bacon needs to be cooked in its own fat on a flat griddle and when its done dont soak up the grease with paper towels lay it out on a cookie rack with a pan underneath

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Saving bacon grease for use in cooking is key.

There are many uses, my favorite is using bacon grease in pie crust. Ooooo mama.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Schweinshaxe is thick-cut bacon to me!

Love me some Schweinhaxe!!!

As for bacon, I cure my own. Typical slab (8# or so) takes 3 days to cure, about 2-3 hours to smoke, and then an hour to slice - so not an small piece of time. I slice it about 3.5mm, slightly more than 1/8”, and freeze it in 6 slice packages in waxed paper, which is perfect for our family of three in the morning. I cook it over medium heat, slowly, and turn frequently initially to keep from curling (a bacon press may be in my future). I have a recipe for regular type bacon and a maple bacon that my daughter goes absolutely nuts for (seriously, she squeals when she knows I’m cooking it).

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post