SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Thick cut" bacon is ham.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thick cut" bacon is ham. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Yeah that shit is bookmarked for future scrutiny.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Sorry Arc, but I buy smoked bacon slabs and a friend who has a meat slicer cuts them up 1/4" thick for me. Only way to go. Big Grin

Sorry, at 1/4, you're just in a rush to eat two slices of bacon that aren't cooked properly.

Again you're wrong. The thick bacon fries up perfectly in my cast iron pan with a cast iron press on top of the slices. Big Grin

There's a reason bacon purveyors like Nueske's, Burgers Smokehouse, Bentons, and others sell 1/4" thick bacon for bacon lovers who don't want the trouble of slicing up slabs.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Mmm. Special equipment for your fetish.

You can have that quarter inch, but it's ruining regular bacon for normal people.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mmm. Special equipment for your fetish.

You can have that quarter inch, but it's ruining regular bacon for normal people.

Arc, you really need to get out more. Smile Au contraire. Thicker IS better! Have a look here where these articles disagree with you big time. There are many others as well.

https://www.esquire.com/food-d...-of-bacon-thickness/

https://www.cooksillustrated.c...r-always-mean-better

And oh, the press I use in my cast iron pan isn't necessary at all, but I find it reduces splatter as well as ensuring the bacon is nicely flat. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conecuh Sausage Company makes bacon. It comes to your front door.
Best use of a pig ever.

https://conecuhsausage.com/collections/bacon

GW.

Posts: 642 | Location: Auburn, AL | Registered: August 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I couldn't agree more. Nothing ruins a good BLT like a soggy, floppy, tough piece of 1/4" "bacon". I want a pile of crispy thin strips on that sandwich that shatter into little pieces when I take a bite.

My wife and I actually had a discussion a few months ago about what kind of bacon is appropriate to bring into our home...and sadly, our experience is similar to the OPs in that the thick stuff seems to be taking over the shelves in the stores.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Bacon should not be transparent, if it just breaks apart, you are only tasting salt.

I want bacon to taste like meat, I love the thick or butcher cut as I have seen it called.

Can't stand it so thin it is like paper, just, yuk. I will still eat it, because, bacon... but it is wrong.

Can't say I have had it greater than 1/4 inch though, I would agree, Ham should only be that or bigger. :-)

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it is a northern thing to like it thinner sliced?

Maybe a poll would be interesting relating to geography?

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Yeah, don't think you can define it by the thickness of the cut. Eek

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
exactly

Ham is the back leg,

I'm not an idiot, you two. I know what ham actually is. Thanks for failing to absorb the spirit of my post.

Bacon that is cut too thick, is "pork belly," at best. It might as well be any other cut of meat, so that's why I just call it ham.

Without that balance of proper thickness, it doesn't achieve that Bacon quality at which the cut is best served, in strip form, typically as a breakfast food.

Crispy bacon, isn't "crunchy" bacon. Crunchy bacon is burned. Correctly cooked bacon is firm and stands on its own, and melts in your mouth.

Floppy bacon is undercooked, and while not the sin of burned bacon, you're missing out on that melty crispy.

never said or implied you were,,

did think, for a second, about posting a note about thread title accuracy........ Big Grin

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bacon and bourbon should be served stiff. I like bacon quite thin. I usually only eat it at Cracker Barrel these days. They'll cook it well and actually cook the scrambled eggs, too, if you ask.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Good grief, y'all. This is easy.

1. Figure out how thick you'd like your slices to be.
2. Go to the meat shop and ask the butcher to please cut you a pound of bacon at that thickness.

Zip, pop, done. Easy, breezy. Nothing to complain about.

Bonus: you get your bacon freshly sliced, and in butcher paper instead of vacuum sealed into some funky plastic envelope.

Or maybe I'm wrong.... Roll Eyes

At my favorite family butcher shop - they've got this older automated machine that slices bacon - I should take a picture of it next time I'm in there. I'm mesmerized by it every time we go (and their bacon is the best I've ever had Cool).

Posts: 1800 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Bacon and bourbon should be served stiff. I like bacon quite thin. I usually only eat it at Cracker Barrel these days. They'll cook it well and actually cook the scrambled eggs, too, if you ask.

About a year ago, Wright brand had a limited-edition of bourbon infused bacon as a specialty. I bought a package and tried it; wasn’t too bad, kinda sweet flavor, but it sure did gunk-up my cast iron skillet.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
did think, for a second, about posting a note about thread title accuracy........ Big Grin

If you didn't post a "note" about the thread title issue, perhaps not commenting at all would have been prudent.

I'm trying to have some fun with a ridiculous discussion about bacon, I don't appreciate being teased about honest efforts to make identifying and navigating threads useful and coherent.

If people find it inconvenient, I can find something better to do with my time.

Enough about that, kindly don't belabor the thread further with it. I would rather argue about bacon.

Arc.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
A fun pic to get us back to arguing about bacon

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23220 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

God bless America.

Posts: 13486 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good news :
Costco carries reduced salt bacon at a great price.

the bad news : they slice it SO thin!
it's annoying as hell,

Bonnie won't cook it up , it's that bad!

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Arc,

If you're ever planning to come down to NYC (yeah, I know), and know several weeks in advance, make a reservation at Peter Lugar's. Among the things you should eat there (especially including the Porterhouse), is the bacon. If you want to know what thick cut back should and could be, eat this.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Pig Math:
Thick cut bacon = ham
Thin cut ham = Prosciutto
Prosciutto = Bacon

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
The good news :
Costco carries reduced salt bacon at a great price.

the bad news : they slice it SO thin!
it's annoying as hell,

Bonnie won't cook it up , it's that bad!

They used to sell ham steak. I’d slice a piece off every morning for breakfast. Then they quit selling it Frown

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12621 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I go to my local butcher for thin sliced maple glazed bacon. Delicious! Now to find some good extra thick bacon.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post