SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Thick cut" bacon is ham.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thick cut" bacon is ham. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
What the hell.

Went to the super market for bacon, and it's a choice between thick cut, extra thick cut, and ridiculously thick cut.

Bacon is delicious in part because it is thinly sliced. I get that some people like the thick cut.

But what the fuck, people. Anything more than thick cut, is Canadian Bacon, or it's just ham. Excuse me, sliced pork belly. 1/4"+ thick slices of bacon, don't give the same perfect flavor and crispness.

I guess at some point I'll have to either go to the deli, or find a proper delicatessen to get properly cut bacon.

I mean, I'm not talking prosciutto thin, but jiminy cricket a pound of bacon shouldn't come in 8 slices.

At least keep one spot of regular old bacon for those of us clinging to the past.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
No one else likes properly sliced bacon?

After the Democrats force societal collapse, and I run Barter Town, you'll all be sorry.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer ham, and will eat any thickness of bacon.... as long as it is not way overcooked !!

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
You're a monster.

Arc.

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
To me, the thin and crispy stuff is the best for sandwiches. Thicker bacon is good by itself. If I need cutlery, it's too damn thick.

And bacon should never be translucent or floppy. Cook that shit! I don't want my bacon rare. It shouldn't stretch when I try to take a bite of my breakfast burrito.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Too thin, or undercooked, is a sin against Odin or your deity of choice.

Limp bacon is for Betas and Soy Boys.

Arc.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Where do you grocery shop?!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Where there is a tyranny of "thick cut" bacon.

Arc.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't like ham for breakfast but I like thick bacon. Cafe I used to go to had thick bacon that they had special sliced. Over the years, it got thinner.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
As I mentioned in the OP, there is no place for prosciutto thin with bacon. If you don't know prosciutto, go find some and you're welcome.

Bacon needs a critical mass of thickness.

I feel like the general trend of 'Merica can actually do damage to good things, bacon and more. Not everything need be made bigger, and not everything is better as such.

You might like very thick "bacon." you're living a lie. You like sliced pork belly, or ham. Your pursuit of "thick cut" bacon and excess, has ruined it for decent folk. Good job, gluttons.

Arc.

Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
Nueske's bacon is what you seek. Shameless plug for a Wisconsin business that will ship it to you.

Ignore their Canadian bacon, and "triple thick cut" offerings. Big Grin

Seriously, though. It's quite tasty, and IMO, cut just right.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Too thin, or undercooked, is a sin against Odin or your deity of choice.

Limp bacon is for Betas and Soy Boys.

Bacon is like a good steak. Undercooked and floppy is when it tastes the best......crispy bacon is like a ribeye cooked medium well...….

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Properly cooked bacon is moderately stiff. Definitely not wiggly.

Costco's Kirkland Signature brand, thick cut, is outstanding stuff! A three pound package (actually two 1.5 pound packages, joined together), is around ten bucks.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I second the Nueske's recommendation. The best bacon I have ever had. Order in quantity to take the sting out of the shipping charges. Their regular cut is perfect bacon thickness.

quote:
Originally posted by wildheartedson0105:
Nueske's bacon is what you seek. Shameless plug for a Wisconsin business that will ship it to you.

Ignore their Canadian bacon, and "triple thick cut" offerings. Big Grin

Seriously, though. It's quite tasty, and IMO, cut just right.

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I prefer thicker cut bacon, cooked to crispy, but not so much that it's brittle & falling apart.

Some of the 'regular' bacon sold here cooks down too much, IMO.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Bacon should hold it's shape when you pick it up. Not because of it being slab either.

Porkbelly is OK, but Arc is spot on.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. My wife, God bless her, was very excited to tell me she had found the "regular" bacon during her last trip to the grocery store...

It was PRECOOKED BACON!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Properly cooked bacon is moderately stiff. Definitely not wiggly.

Costco's Kirkland Signature brand, thick cut, is outstanding stuff! A three pound package (actually two 1.5 pound packages, joined together), is around ten bucks.

I agree with you about the Kirkland bacon. Great stuff!

You get it for $10? It's 13 and change here. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, don't think you can define it by the thickness of the cut. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Yeah, don't think you can define it by the thickness of the cut. Eek

exactly

Ham is the back leg,

Canadian (also some English and Irish) bacon is loin,

bacon is bacon,

sadly, the fat back (mentioned in that pic) is no longer fat when you can find it,

back to the bacon, I like what some label or market as thick, usually around 1/8th inch, baked or fried,
really good not quite brittle, just a bit of chew, or maybe slight resistance would be a better phase, covered in the maple syrup from the pancakes next to them,,,

best yet,

irish smoked bacon (whole foods used to carry some) basically smoked pork loin, with the tail attached, sliced relatively thin (1/16th or less)
fried, with fried eggs, Heinz beans, sausage, toast, fried potatoes (with onions),, on a plate with a tall cup of English Breakfast Tea,, with honey,

yum

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post