SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Without looking it up, do you know what “SCIF” refers to?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Without looking it up, do you know what “SCIF” refers to? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
If you do, you’re ahead of the people like Admiral McRaven, General McChrystal, the guy who wrote the Delta books under the nom de plume of Dalton Fury, and various technothriller authors these days.

Cripes, people, if you feel compelled to impress your readers with the fact you had access to secret squirrel stuff but that it’s necessary to explain what the term means, then don’t spoil the effect by getting it wrong. Either look these things up or find an editor who will.

Question:
Which is it?

Choices:
secret compartmented intelligence facility
secret compartmented information facility
secure compartmented intelligence facility
secure compartmented information facility
sensitive compartmented intelligence facility
sensitive compartmented information facility

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Apparently not. I voted wrong.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I worked in one for about four years and it was cold due to the wrong thermostat being wired to the wrong room. Mad Big Grin

People were always messing with the thermostat like putting a wet rag over the thermostat to fooling it to being colder than it was. Didn't work. Big Grin

So I had a friend in maintenance who I told about the situation so he looked into it and solved the problem. The people in the other room must have thought they were in the desert. This had occurred over a period of several years and it probably caused some of the people to get sick.

I could write a book about that place which was one of the most discriminating places I ever worked.

I voted wrong as well. Confused

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup.

41- I think they were all built the same. I've been in a few different ones, and the room just seems to be colder than everything else. I guess someone thinks "Because freezing temps keeps keeps that information secure!"

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8335 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was wrong. I thought I had a good idea of what it referred to.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Well, after spending 20 of my 22 years in the Navy working in them, I should...

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I googled it. One of us is wrong. Pretty sure it's not me, unless NAVSECGRU used different terminology than everybody else.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Where is the 'I have no idea' choice? Put me down for that one. Smile

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It is of course possible that different organizations used different terms that may have evolved over time. Abbreviations and words get corrupted from their original meanings all the time, sometimes deliberately, sometimes due to the fact that an incorrect meaning gets spread around and in time becomes the only one anyone ever hears. “Assault weapon” is a common current example.

My answer, and which is the most common term when the abbreviation is searched for on the Internet, is the term that I first learned when assigned to an Army military intelligence unit in 1966, and which was used throughout my career.

In the earliest days, though, it was more common to hear references to “behind the green door” rather than “SCIF” or its full meaning. And then that’s another question: Where did that reference come from? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Yep. I hate spending time in one. Such a PIA.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Yep. I hate spending time in one. Such a PIA.

Try managing the building of one.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I was a happy guy in the mid-80's when they finally developed swipe-able security badges. As a maintenance weenie, it was a pain in the ass to try to hold onto a piece of equipment, poke in a combo and open the SCIF door all at the same time...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad I didn't. Securing "special weapons" in the Cold War was enough for me.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only reason I knew is due to the fact that I have been reading up on the various intelligence jobs for the Army in hopes of trying to help me decide if I want to go that route or go back to Combat Arms.

My only fear going intel is being assigned to a SCIF.

With my current MOS I have been lucky to avoid working in them.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
At a facility I was stationed at in the mid '70s it was referred to as the "vault" given the heavy combo access door and featured a Faraday like copper wire layer on all 6 sides among other things to thwart eavesdropping equipment.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:...“behind the green door” ...

Yep, pushed the button, picked up the phone, showed the badge, held up countersign fingers, said the word of the day.

No one under 21 admitted...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:...“behind the green door” ...
Yep, pushed the button, picked up the phone, showed the badge, held up countersign fingers, said the word of the day.

No one under 21 admitted...
Just knock three times and whisper low

That you and I were sent by Joe

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I knew - don't ask me how.

Pragmatism: the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Posts: 172 | Registered: September 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I don't know the acronym but this only recently got on my radar with the House impeachment hearings.

Year V

Posts: 2630 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's not a type of boat, I take it?

I guessed, then looked it up. It seems I got lucky, but I'm not a NAVSECGURU, so my guess is probably wrong.

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of prepsheriff
posted Hide Post
I was a paratrooper, if the light was red, I didn't go through the door, if the light was green,I went through the door...easy. Big Grin

Airborne ! All the Way!!

Posts: 904 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: January 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post