SIGforum
Band Aid wrappers

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/6070008074

June 01, 2020, 12:44 AM
phydough
Band Aid wrappers
I cut my thumb, right on the pad. I washed it off, finished my project (with only a few bloody thumb prints) and washed it out again. Trying to get the stinking Band Aid brand wrapper open was the biggest fight since my divorce was finalized.
Its like the Band Aid engineers never thought someone might not have two working opposibile thumbs. The little pull tabs need dexterity to get a grip on and you can't use your teeth because one of those little tabs is stuck back to the wrapper. Anyhow, I got it open....and reopened my cut in the process...leading to a blood covered Band Aid, so I got to open a new one. The second one was a little easier, not by much, though. I'm not leaking anymore!
June 01, 2020, 02:15 AM
Paten

June 01, 2020, 02:21 AM
sigmonkey

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!
June 01, 2020, 05:07 AM
PHPaul
I feel your pain. The very tip of my right thumb has been cracking open all Winter. Some ointment and a band-aid for 2-3 days heals it up, then it dries out and cracks again.

I usually have to enlist the aid of Nurse Wifey to get the band-aid applied properly.

On a positive note, the stretchy fabric band-aids are the Cat's Ass! Only time I've ever had one come off is when it got douched in solvent. Acetone in a raw split smarts! Not to mention it's really spectacular skin-drying effect...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
June 01, 2020, 08:36 AM
Rawny
I remember the olden days when the wrapper has a piece of red thread inside. Once you rip the end off, you pull on the thread and it will slice the side of the wrapper open.

Easy, intuitive, and did not require fine motor skills. Which was usually lacking when you need a Band-Aid.
June 01, 2020, 08:47 AM
RogueJSK
Duct tape, my boy!

Slap some on your thumb, finish the project, open the bandaid, then switch it out.
June 01, 2020, 12:12 PM
SPWAMike0317
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Duct tape, my boy!

Slap some on your thumb, finish the project, open the bandaid, then switch it out.

I go with the deluxe version. Paper towel or a cotton patch over the cut and gorilla tape. Sadly, I have a good deal of experience with this technique.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?
June 01, 2020, 12:59 PM
OKCGene
Super Glue Dude!!!!
June 01, 2020, 01:06 PM
phydough
I usually go with the deluxe duct tape version and leave it on till it falls off. For some strange reason, this time, I felt like being civilized.

I save the super glue, mixed with duct tape, for when I should have stitches.
June 01, 2020, 01:34 PM
az4783054
I have the same complaint about bandage wrappers. I usually go through 2 because I'm no frustrated trying to open the darn thing. Scissors help.

Thanks Johnson & Johnson...
June 01, 2020, 01:45 PM
Georgeair
Had this exact issue yesterday after jamming a piece of angle iron/aluminum through thumb tip while installing garage door opener.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

June 01, 2020, 03:22 PM
Tinyman
quote:
Acetone in a raw split smarts! Not to mention it's really spectacular skin-drying effect...

Yes, but MEK is (IMO) a liquid that will bring you to tears. Frown

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on
June 01, 2020, 04:19 PM
rscalzo
Don't need no stinkin" Band-Aids.

Cut my finger badly while working on a dive boat years back. Used Duct tape.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net
June 02, 2020, 09:25 AM
sandman76
I've field dressed one helluva lot of cuts with black electrical tape. Scotch 33 to be exact. Not that fake shit that comes in logs from the Depot.

June 02, 2020, 10:06 AM
83v45magna
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
I've field dressed one helluva lot of cuts with black electrical tape. Scotch 33 to be exact. Not that fake shit that comes in logs from the Depot.
Too true, there is a great shitload of crappy electrical tape out there. I heat shrink everything I can but for tape, 3m only for me thanks.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11
June 02, 2020, 04:13 PM
Fredward
Real men use duct tape. Especially over the hairy parts.
June 02, 2020, 04:18 PM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Real men use duct tape. Especially over the hairy parts.

Gorilla Tape. Injury protection AND a wax job...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
June 02, 2020, 06:22 PM
NK402
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Don't need no stinkin" Band-Aids.

Cut my finger badly while working on a dive boat years back. Used Duct tape.

Ever hear of that flesh-eating bacteria? You're probably lucky you still have a hand.
June 04, 2020, 07:55 AM
shovelhead
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
I remember the olden days when the wrapper has a piece of red thread inside. Once you rip the end off, you pull on the thread and it will slice the side of the wrapper open.

Easy, intuitive, and did not require fine motor skills. Which was usually lacking when you need a Band-Aid.

I was just thinking about the same thing when I got to this post.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
June 04, 2020, 09:28 AM
bendable
So I am the only one here that peels three band aids, two 3x3's , two 4x4's ,
A roll of gauze and some flex wrap

Before you pick up a power tool, sharp tool or anything that breaks ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first