SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Crane Collapse in Seattle. The Media Cannot let it Go.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crane Collapse in Seattle. The Media Cannot let it Go. Login/Join 
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted
Saturday a crane fell in downtown Seattle. Four dead, four injured, six cars damaged. The accident happened at 3:30 PM as a crane was being dismantled.
Why the rant? The media reported this information in the first hour. Then kept repeating it.
At 5 PM I turned on the box to see first the local and then the national news. There was an update “four dead, four injured, six cars, commute is messed up.” Then they repeated it. “Now we go live to Susie Creamcheese, who will be standing in front of the crane.” Susie tells us it's a mess. Then they return to the newsdesk. After a bit we get shown a scene from the air. Then we go live to “Billy who was hired for his great hair.”
When the national news “should” come on, there’s no mention of it. Instead we get an “update” saying “four dead, four injured, six cars, commute is messed up.” Next we go “live” to see the crane, get an air view from the helicopter, and so on.
Pretty soon it’s obvious all the talking heads have no more information. None except “four dead, four injured, six cars, commute is messed up.” Near as I can guess they stopped this sometime around 7:30 PM. Call it four hours of “four dead, four injured, six cars, commute is messed up” being repeated.
Yes, all the local channels were doing this. Completely ignored the Poway shooting.
Was there no one with the intestinal fortitude to pull the plug? Was there no adult that declared “Enough! There’s no more information to be had!” and “When there is, we can break into regular programing.”
The media is unable to let something go. They seem to fear they’ll miss something or they don’t want to let another station get ahead of them.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The news is very similar to listening to the radio. Im in the car for several hours a day and I will hear the same song played 5-6 times an hour. They need to cover their audience in case you tuned in late.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2006, a Friend was laying on his couch watching football.

https://www.seattletimes.com/s...at-least-one-killed/

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it bleeds, it leads.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I just heard, someone shot President Kennedy!!!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Did they prognosticate the cause with gravity?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Did they prognosticate the cause with gravity?

The crane allegedly fell, but there’s been no mention of accomplices.

Posts: 3220 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
It wasn't yellow, but it was non-red in color.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The media loves death and destruction. It draws more eyes and thus more advertising $$$

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21074 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
This just in, Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead. More at 11.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
~~~We got the bubble headed
Bleached blonde
Comes on at five
She can tell you 'bout the plane crash
With a gleam in her eye
It's interesting when people die
Give us dirty laundry~~~ Don Henley

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
In this new world of 24/7 news cycle they have to keep things going long after they should have died a natural death ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If it bleeds it leads.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
“four dead, four injured, six cars, commute is messed up.”

... and we don't have to watch Twitter this weekend for other state and local news. We'll beat this horse of a crane story and only change topics when our NYC network overlords want a hate-Trump segment run.

And now, here's Dick Johnson for how the crane collapse has impacted local sports. Dick, take it away.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll bet MSNBC found a way to blame Trump .

Posts: 3969 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'll bet MSNBC found a way to blame Trump .

Beat me to it. Big Grin

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I talked to a crane company owner last night who knew one of the employees who was killed and he explained to me exactly what happened.

The very top section that has the cab and turret, weighs 32k there are 8 cross pins holding it to the tower and another 8 cross pins in each section along with 24 bolts at the very bottom.

They are suppose to pull all but two of the pins in each section as the go down leaving a small spacer to keep the sections from sliding down and binding.

What they did was to pull all the pins out of every section and they removed all but 2 of the bolts on the ground, the top section jammed they were repositioning the crane to try and pull the top section apart, the wind came up and blew it over.
one of the workers was inside the cab and the other was just below it. from the time it started to tumble it was 30 seconds before it hit the ground.

it's pretty obvious that they probably did this several times breaking the basic safety rules.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
This shows a lot.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Seattle and this whole thing doesn't surprise me.

Construction is a roaring industry here and construction workers are putting in long, long hours. Some I talk to work two jobs, six days a week.

These guys and gals look haggard. I'll bet rules and procedures are being bent.

V.

Posts: 328 | Location: Pacific NW | Registered: April 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post