SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Samsung Fridge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Samsung Fridge Login/Join 
Picture of jack32586
posted
Few months ago, we bought a Samsung fridge from Best Buy. Recessed handles, four doors, bottom right "chamber" can be used as a fridge/chiller/freezer according to how you set the display. $3000. Its a cool fridge. Looks like it came from the future. A month in, the ice maker froze up and stopped working. If you beat on the frozen ice with a knife handle, it will work for three day before freezing. I dont mean freezing like a deer on the highway, I mean encased in ice. So I call Best Buy.

Turns out BB doesn't fix a damn thing. They farm that out. OK whatever, just fix the Fn ice maker. So 7 layers of customer service later I get an actual appt. Dude comes out. I say- look its frozen, exhibit A, an ice maker encased in frost. He say's oh yeah, we get a lot of calls on these. These early ones came with the abc ice maker and you need the xyz ice maker. OK, but I just bought it. He looks closer. Oh yeah you do have the xyz maker. I'll order you a new maker. It will ship to you, and you hold it until a tech can come back and install it.

Sure thing dude, whatever. Its progress. Just know in the mean time I'm gonna continue to stab the shit outta it so I can have ice for three days at a time.

The new maker arrives in a box. I don't open the box, I just stick it in a cupboard. New dude shows up 2 weeks later for install. Looks at the old one, says "yeah these xyz makers suck. See that hole, well that forces the chilled air to run down across the thingy which has the warmer water in it, and that causes frost and then the frost builds and blah blah.....

zzzzzzzzoh sorry I fell asleep, but hey Just fix the son of a bitch.

He opens the box, and viola, an xyz ice maker. Exactly like the one in the fridge. And then he proceeds to remove the old one and install the new one. All the while telling me it aint gonna work. And guess what. HE'S Right!!! 10 days in, I'm stabbing the shit outta the damn thing so I can have ice for three days. Guess I'm back to customer disservice. Fucking $3000. And they know it doesn't work. I went into Best Buy just to see. Sure enough, still selling it with the same shitty ice maker. I just wish there had been customers around so I could "help" them in front of a sales clerk.

Of course there is no bottom line. Best Buy did exactly as they said they would, and called very skilled techs out. The techs did as they were trained with the tools given to them. Samsung could care less. If its shitty enough, they will dump the model, and I'm probably screwed. If its not shitty enough, they will keep pumping out this DeLorian of a fridge, and I'm probably screwed. Guess I need to start making noise-BBB, Yelp, maybe a Samsung Owners Matter movement. Its just stupid shit.

Posts: 203 | Location: S/W Florida | Registered: October 10, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My mom spent a couple years fighting Samsung over a worthless fridge. In the end they gave her a prorated refund to make her go away.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the issues. We bought a new 3 door Samsung fridge 5 years or so ago, I guess. Been flawless so far, including the ice maker.

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 29, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
I hate my Samsung fridge, but the wife just had to have it. Way to many bells and whistles for me.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Sounds like we have the same fridge, we love ours. Sorry yours sucks

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
My new Samsung dishwasher is shit.
$800 Chinese made shit.
I'm having to have it fixed for a THIRD time and haven't made the first payment on it yet.

China produces garbage.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, Appliance Brad said to stay away from Samsung and LG appliances because of poor support and repairs, parts availability, etc after the sale.

Seems to be a hit or miss. You may get one that works fine and be happy, or one that doesn't work properly and repairs don't seem to be effective.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bjor13
posted Hide Post
we have one (only $2k from 5 years ago) and it won't get better

quote:
Originally posted by jack32586:
Few months ago, we bought a Samsung fridge from Best Buy. Recessed handles, four doors, bottom right "chamber" can be used as a fridge/chiller/freezer according to how you set the display. $3000. Its a cool fridge. Looks like it came from the future. A month in, the ice maker froze up and stopped working. If you beat on the frozen ice with a knife handle, it will work for three day before freezing. I dont mean freezing like a deer on the highway, I mean encased in ice. So I call Best Buy.

Turns out BB doesn't fix a damn thing. They farm that out. OK whatever, just fix the Fn ice maker. So 7 layers of customer service later I get an actual appt. Dude comes out. I say- look its frozen, exhibit A, an ice maker encased in frost. He say's oh yeah, we get a lot of calls on these. These early ones came with the abc ice maker and you need the xyz ice maker. OK, but I just bought it. He looks closer. Oh yeah you do have the xyz maker. I'll order you a new maker. It will ship to you, and you hold it until a tech can come back and install it.

Sure thing dude, whatever. Its progress. Just know in the mean time I'm gonna continue to stab the shit outta it so I can have ice for three days at a time.

The new maker arrives in a box. I don't open the box, I just stick it in a cupboard. New dude shows up 2 weeks later for install. Looks at the old one, says "yeah these xyz makers suck. See that hole, well that forces the chilled air to run down across the thingy which has the warmer water in it, and that causes frost and then the frost builds and blah blah.....

zzzzzzzzoh sorry I fell asleep, but hey Just fix the son of a bitch.

He opens the box, and viola, an xyz ice maker. Exactly like the one in the fridge. And then he proceeds to remove the old one and install the new one. All the while telling me it aint gonna work. And guess what. HE'S Right!!! 10 days in, I'm stabbing the shit outta the damn thing so I can have ice for three days. Guess I'm back to customer disservice. Fucking $3000. And they know it doesn't work. I went into Best Buy just to see. Sure enough, still selling it with the same shitty ice maker. I just wish there had been customers around so I could "help" them in front of a sales clerk.

Of course there is no bottom line. Best Buy did exactly as they said they would, and called very skilled techs out. The techs did as they were trained with the tools given to them. Samsung could care less. If its shitty enough, they will dump the model, and I'm probably screwed. If its not shitty enough, they will keep pumping out this DeLorian of a fridge, and I'm probably screwed. Guess I need to start making noise-BBB, Yelp, maybe a Samsung Owners Matter movement. Its just stupid shit.

Posts: 1017 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jack32586
Snip

See that hole, well that forces the chilled air to run down across the thingy which has the warmer water in it, and that causes frost and then the frost builds and blah blah.....

Snip

Have ya tried plugging/covering said hole?

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
My mom spent a couple years fighting Samsung over a worthless fridge. In the end they gave her a prorated refund to make her go away.

I did this with a TV. After one year fighting with them they told me it was out of warranty. I reminded them it was well within warranty 13 months ago when I started the claim. They said too bad.

I threw a hail Mary and wrote the president of Samsung USA. 4 weeks later his secretary called me back and said they would give me 75% of the purchase price back and send logistics co to pick the old one up. I spend 80+ hours of my life fighting them, I'm a stubborn SOB.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I had a defective Frigidaire and it never got fixed right until I gave it away and my nephew had a friend of his fix it and fixed it right. I would like to have had it back at that point. The dealer could not fix it right.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one too, just over 3 years old and been having the freezing issue the last 6 months or so. The ice maker fan starts rubbing again ice buildup in the back and makes a fun buzzing noise, in fact it's doing it as I type this. Couple times a month I pull the ice drawer out, scrape/beat/chop off the buildup around the maker, and use my wife's industrial hair dryer to melt the stuff at the back where I can't reach it. There's currently a class action suit going, I'm not part of it at the moment but will be watching to see the result.

https://www.classaction.org/sa...or-ice-maker-lawsuit

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Well, ours is almost 8 years old. The little door on the ice dispenser started flapping. For days and days. Couldn't get it to stop. The call for service did nothing. So we found a good competent guy to come and look at it. To his credit, he knew the problem and that it needed a new computer board behind the water/ice dispenser. He said he could just unplug it and the noise would stop, but so would the ice. OK, better than listening to it all the time. He charged us $400+ and said the new board would be here in a couple of weeks. That was January.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I'm leery of appliances made by companies that make computers and home entertainment stuff.

Just like I don't think I'd ever buy a TV by Kenmore (if they did such a thing), I wouldn't buy a washing machine made by Samsung.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Close the valve on the water line to the fridge and make ice in an ice tray.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

That's what we ended up doing with our fridge with faulty icemaker.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

You shouldn't have to do that with a fridge that cost you thousands of dollars.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
My new Samsung dishwasher is shit.
$800 Chinese made shit.
I'm having to have it fixed for a THIRD time and haven't made the first payment on it yet.

China produces garbage.

I thought Samsung was Korean? Confused
You mean EVEN the Koreans get their shit made in China too? Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tech 101: have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in? Razz

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

You shouldn't have to do that with a fridge that cost you thousands of dollars.

Of course you shouldn’t. But that’s what I would do, at least temporarily, if facing the choices the OP and several others are faced with.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post