SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Christmas Decorations Up Earlier Each Year
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Decorations Up Earlier Each Year Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted
//rant on//

I don't know why, but people lighting up Christmas decorations way early irks me. Plus, it seems that this trend is starting earlier every year.

Last Saturday (40 days before Christmas), I went for a walk around the neighborhood. Not one, but four of my neighbors had Christmas lights on their houses, trees decorated and lit in their windows, wreathes on their doors, etc.

I can see putting up outside decorations before freezing weather arrives. But, IMO, lighting them up 2 weeks before Thanksgiving is ridiculous.

//rant off//

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
They are influenced by, for example, stores putting out Halloween stuff in August.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
Some TV networks have nothing but Christmas movies on too.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
lighting them up 2 weeks before Thanksgiving is ridiculous.

Usually, man, I'd be jumping up and down agreeing with you on that.

But this year, being the doo-doo show it has been, I don't begrudge anybody wanting to bring some happy lights into their lives a few weeks early. Santa's in the yard waiting for the Great Pumpkin? Get to it neighbor... enjoy. Cool

quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis:
Some TV networks have nothing but Christmas movies on too.

Now that mess, I want no part of. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I like Christmas lights because they cheer me up, and I wish people kept them up all winter. A small effort to banish or at least diminish the cold and the dark, plus to encourage the sun to start rising again earlier was their original purpose at the solstice.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GarandGuy
posted Hide Post
Then you would hate it at my house. Nov 1st Halloween went down and Christmas decor started going up. Usually we wait until day after thanksgiving but like others said, for this crap show of a year we went early.

Funny story, I was out hanging lights and my neighbor came over and said she had a bone to pick with me. She said she has to fight her husband every year to wait until after Thanksgiving to put out Christmas decorations, she said he saw me and immediately said look honey the Keaton’s are putting out there Christmas lights! 30 minutes later he’s hauling bins out of his shed. Now we have a friendly little competition.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1073 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Usually we decorate the Saturday after Thanksgiving. With things being the way they have been this year, and being quarantined for the past 2 weeks, I told my daughter she could decorate early. They started this past weekend and will finish with the tree this weekend. Not a big deal at all.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, No Christmas until after Thanksgiving. Be like having Labor Day before fourth of July

Posts: 1563 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
My wife has had the tree up and lit for 3 or 4 days now. Outside lights too. Ugh. Kinda depresses me actually. I'm not a grinch but just don't get into the Christmas groove anymore.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5681 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of dried out Christmas Trees.

Christmas always started when Santa arrived in the Macy's Parade.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
We put ours up last weekend. The weather was perfect and there was nothing else planned for the day.

Normally we are anti lights prior to Thanksgiving. But this year it just seems like the right thing to do.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5746 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
lighting them up 2 weeks before Thanksgiving is ridiculous.

Usually, man, I'd be jumping up and down agreeing with you on that.

But this year, being the doo-doo show it has been, I don't begrudge anybody wanting to bring some happy lights into their lives a few weeks early.
^^ THIS ^^

I'm surrounded by lights. My neighbors and I were chatting in the cul-d-sac last weekend and they've put out the lights earlier and using more lights this year.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"If your kids are hunting for Easter eggs in the Christmas decorations... you might be a redneck."

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
IMO I don't want to see any till after Thanksgiving.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Normally we are anti lights prior to Thanksgiving. But this year it just seems like the right thing to do.

GF's neighborhood is heavily populated with people of Indian background. Lots of houses have been lit up for two weeks or so, decorated in anticipation of Diwali.

I don't do a lot of outdoor lights at Christmas, but I'm tempted to put up the "window candle" lights this weekend. I like 'em.

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
If the trend continues, people will be putting up decorations in December for next year.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I might have to get a menorah that holds forty-eleven candles.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yes they are up here earlier than normal, usually Thanksgiving weekend, but several have them up, and it's some of the larger displays.

Rode the motorcycle last night and quite a few homes are putting them up. Maybe I'll get mine out...

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
This year I don't mind it. People are sick and damn tired of this year. So, if putting up decorations hastens that feeling of enchantment and good will so be it. Plus, it also means we're close to the end of this terrible year. We put up the fake basement tree already.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
We would have a work detail at my firehouse to put up Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving.
For as long as i can remember this was when decorations went up even at my own home.
This was when I lived in New Jersey many years ago.

The neighborhood I live in,in Florida, the Christmas decorations were going up before Halloween this year. In the past it was usually after Halloween.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post