SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Skateboarders damaging public spaces
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Skateboarders damaging public spaces Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted
I'm officially a fuddy duddy now. Watching skateboarders on a university mall, I wondered if they were supposed to be there and if they were damaging the very nice concrete seating and decorative structures. Looked down where I was sitting and there were scrapes and a dislodged protruding piece of metal intended to deter them.

A few days later, I see a group of boarders on an alumni area brand new last year. I went over to observe if they were actually damaging and said to the nearest one: "have you considered if you are damaging things?" He replied: "That's just part of the sport, its what we do." Then he told me he didn't have time for this conversation. I said: "Someday when you own things, you'll look at it differently"

I think I'm fed up with skateboarders tearing things up and reducing the enjoyment of facilities and their life span.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
No respect for others property. The opposite of how I was raised.

There is a reason they put heavy metal coping on the wearing edges at skateparks.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
“Casting pearls before the swine.”
He’s right, no respect.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
These bikers and boarders: those idiots who damage public areas without realizing it are stupid. Those who do it knowingly, well let’s say I wish someone would put them out of my misery. Antisocial miscreants with no consideration or respect for society and community. Special place for the vandals who deface public parks. Who the hell thinks it’s cool to put emoticons or tags next to ancient pictographs and such.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Come on now.

Did you see any actual damage occur? No.

This argument is old, tired, and largely nonsensical.

What you got was attitude for attitude, all pointless, too, buncha know-nothings.

Firstly, very few bits of all-things "skateboarding" are even capable of causing damage.

And for every damaged bit there are likely thousands of hours or more with no damage whatsoever.

They're wooden boards with urethane wheels on die cast hangers, not some Talisman of Destruction.

You're not being a fuddy duddy for disliking skateboarding, you're being a fuddy duddy by making wide assumptions with nearly no evidence and applying that to an enormous group of diverse participants and then calling it something else. Expecting a straight answer from them was your first mistake.

Leave people alone. Quit making enormous, erroneous, assumptions.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Congrats, you motivated me to go dig my son’s old skateboard out of the garage (he’s a responsible adult now). The wheels have substantial road grit imbedded in them. The crosspieces that the wheels are mounted in are metal. The bottom of the board appears to be wood covered in some kind of polymer, again with some lesser amount of road grit imbedded in it. So yeah, those things rubbed over and over a surface with a 100+ lbs of force on them, will damage metal and even concrete, seeing as how even people walking on a surface enough will damage it.

Posts: 1498 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I suppose they could just keep their noses in their cell phones, get fat as fuck, and work on their first case of diabetes by age 14. Or, better yet, play in the backyard under the constant watch of mommy and her pre-planned, Instagram approved activities.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bust your buns and go... [/FLASH_ [FLASH_VIDEO] VIDEO]

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
Scatter pebbles here and there in the places they skate. Not so many that they notice, just enough to bring them to a screeching stop!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Come on now.

What you got was attitude for attitude, all pointless, too, buncha know-nothings.

Firstly, very few bits of all-things "skateboarding" are even capable of causing damage.

And for every damaged bit there are likely thousands of hours or more with no damage whatsoever.

They're wooden boards with urethane wheels on die cast hangers, not some Talisman of Destruction.

You're not being a fuddy duddy for disliking skateboarding, you're being a fuddy duddy by making wide assumptions with nearly no evidence and applying that to an enormous group of diverse participants and then calling it something else. Expecting a straight answer from them was your first mistake.

This post is so utterly inane, it borderline warrants a response. In my OP, I looked down where I was sitting and saw damage to concrete seat edge, and to a protruding piece of metal intended to deter skate boarding. There are lots of companies that sell "skateboarding deterrents" Why would they sell them if they don't cause damage?

Are you suggesting I didn't observe the actual moment of damage with clear evidence that damage occurred? or that apparent damage didn't come from skateboards? Right, wood and rubber don't cause damage, and trucks never hit anything.

I'm a dufus to expect a straight answer, but I got one. He said it's part of the sport, so he acknowledged it causes damage and he didn't care. I didn't expect a straight answer, I just wanted him to think about his actions.

In your fantasy world, skateboarding doesn't cause damage, so I guess its often banned for some elusive unfair reason. -ism against white kids in tank tops or something.

BTW - I still have my Gordon & Smith board.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Come on now.

They make trucks out of wood now? Fascinating.

Posts: 3657 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Pbslinger and Bobtheelf, I’m glad you guys responded to that crap! Wow!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post