SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Can someone explain the latest car fad... having your engine sound like it's going to explode every time you shift?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone explain the latest car fad... having your engine sound like it's going to explode every time you shift? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
I... don't get it. I guess somewhere along the line they got it in their heads that this sounds good? Belching, farting, back firing noise at every shift?

This is worse than fake turbo dump valve sounds. Roll Eyes

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Latest? It's been like that forever.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
I... don't get it. I guess somewhere along the line they got it in their heads that this sounds good? Belching, farting, back firing noise at every shift?

Mine does all of the above. Well, the turbo dump is legit, not faked.

Trying to explain it would be like trying to explain why you need a gun to a leftist. I don't mean that as an insult, just that if you're posting this you likely don't enjoy the current car culture, have zero interest in it, and would rather see all the loud cars ticketed or impounded than let the hooligans have their fun.

In the 50's it was the big thing to jack the front end up and stick a blower out of the hood, killing ANY chance of being able to steer or see out of the car. But man, it was cool

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Raising the front and lowering the back is to preload the rear, keep the tires on the ground and go really fast in a straight line. Not good for much else. Smile

Personally I don't care what people do to their cars, I've done some dumb things myself. I only wonder because there's stops signs on either side of me and I have to hear them all day and night, trying to impress someone?. (*I could have rolled this into my volunteer ambulance/fire truck rant!!!) I assume it's like most stuff like that, the majority of it is people trying to emulate a certain thing, but doing it poorly, or trying to do it cheaply, or trying to make something else sound like "the real thing", and doing a poor job at it.

*If your truck has NOT ONE, NOT TWO, BUT THREE different sirens going on it, why do you need to blow the airhorn going through the stop sign? In case we didn't hear the other three sirens??? Big Grin (forgetting for a moment about the fact that it's midnight on a Sunday and there are no other cars on the road with you) Wink

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
I didn't go seeking a sound or anything. I bought a tuner exhaust, tuner parts, and the result is a throaty exhaust, and when it's either cold or nicely warmed up it will backfire when I lift off the throttle. And the blowoff/dump valve is setup to improve boost response and force the car to run a bit rich right after the blowoff.

I'm not pretending to be anything. It's maybe got 200hp, but it's been my daily driver like this for close to 6 years.

I still granny shift it when going through neighborhoods, especially if it's afterhours. I'm not an asshole.

A co-worker of mine put straight pipe exhaust on his S4. It's loud and sounds like it's got a few hundred more HP than what it does. He enjoys it, I personally don't like the attention from cops that a loud exhaust gets. His is loud enough to be heard from a ways off and definitely grabs attention.

Personally, I drive my car more often with the windows down and radio off than anything else. I like the way it sounds, I drive it hard (but safe), and I enjoy people coming up to me in parking lots or at the gas pumps and telling me they love my car.

Posts: 6029 | Location: Romeo, MI | Registered: January 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Had a older VW bug in 1970. Found out ya could turn off the key while cruising about 25, turn it back on and shoot blue flame out the exhaust with what sounds like a shotgun blast. That turned heads.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Had a older VW bug in 1970. Found out ya could turn off the key while cruising about 25, turn it back on and shoot blue flame out the exhaust with what sounds like a shotgun blast.
The year was 1957. A good friend and I were both stationed at the Chincoteague VA Naval Air Station. We were both from the NYC area. Couple times a month we would head home for the weekend, taking turns driving.

I had a 1950 Studebaker Champion, my friend had a 1951 Mercury. He was really proud of his car, kept it pristine, was a member of a hot rod club on Staten Island. My Studebaker was nothing special, it just got me where I was going.

One weekend, my turn to drive, I did the "turn the ignition off and back on" trick while coasting down the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Lots of loud explosive type noises.

Next trip home was my friend's turn to drive. I egged him on and he did the ignition key trick. I think his glass-pack mufflers are still in low earth orbit. A few miles down the road we were stopped by a state cop. My friend explained that he had "had an ignition failure" coming down the bridge. We still laugh about that when we get together.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustpot:
I personally don't like the attention from cops that a loud exhaust gets. His is loud enough to be heard from a ways off and definitely grabs attention.

A friend of mine had such a loud Mustang that SFPD noticed from a parallel block and came to investigate.

I like cars to be loud when they're going all out. Otherwise, quiet is best.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lay in my bed at night with the windows open to let in the night breeze and listen to squealing tires and loud exhausts of the numb nuts in the area.

What kind of major maladjustment s do these clowns have? Do they think that impresses me? They are nothing but smarmy, prick, little sum-bitches that need to holy crap beat out of them. I've got no use for people like that.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I am curious in a hot rod sense, what is the setup that generates this phenomena? I was following a couple of Ford Focus ST on the highway and they were having fun (not a problem IMHO). One of the cars exhibited this sound at shifts and when the driver lifted the throttle. It appears at least one forum poster can explain how this works.

I was at a light and the 911 in front of me got on it when the light when green. He was running a PDK transmission and when he cracked the shifts, it made this sound. IMHO, it's kinda like a radial engine on older aircraft, sweet powerful music. Perhaps not at 2 AM but on the highway (or runway) it's a gearhead symphony.

Kinda like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T22N8MKVL-4

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 715 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCRWuU3zcO8

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I have a Focus ST and have listened to a ton of videos to pick an exhaust. I've decided to leave it stock as I haven't heard anything that makes a sound I find pleasing. The blow off valve pfish sound is annoying as well.

On the other hand, it's a beautiful, calm, quiet morning on the lake and I'm going to crank up the 496 Mercruiser which I think sounds fantastic @ 4,800rpm.

Posts: 10824 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rustpot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SPWAMike0317:
I am curious in a hot rod sense, what is the setup that generates this phenomena? I was following a couple of Ford Focus ST on the highway and they were having fun (not a problem IMHO). One of the cars exhibited this sound at shifts and when the driver lifted the throttle. It appears at least one forum poster can explain how this works.

I was at a light and the 911 in front of me got on it when the light when green. He was running a PDK transmission and when he cracked the shifts, it made this sound. IMHO, it's kinda like a radial engine on older aircraft, sweet powerful music. Perhaps not at 2 AM but on the highway (or runway) it's a gearhead symphony.

Kinda like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T22N8MKVL-4

My buddy's Camaro sounds like that when it starts. Then it just rips and makes all kinds of obnoxiously loud sounds. He very much likes the attention and is on a first-name basis with most of the local cops.

The exhaust pops, snaps, and bangs are a combination of vacuum in the oversized exhaust, and mostly from unburnt fuel getting fresh air in a hot exhaust. This is also why some of these cars "breathe fire" from the exhaust.

Bolting on a straight-pipe exhaust, no muffler, no catalytic converter, no resonator, X- or H-pipes, etc, for a lot of cars will give you instant loud, poppy, snarling exhaust.

Why? Because Race Car.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Fortunately our house is 1/2 mile from the highway (US 93). The highway is north of us, and the prevailing wind is predominantly from the south, so we rarely hear any traffic out there when outside or with the windows open. The only sounds we hear are the rumble strips. I wondered at their frequency (why so many cars drifting off the road), until I discovered that with the last repaving, they cut rumble strips in the center line also, so cars passing sound them. In the town limits of Wickenburg (about 1 mile from us currently, including a stretch of US 93), WPD vigorously enforces vehicle noise ordinances, including loud sound systems, jake braking, and otherwise obnoxious sounds coming from a vehicle. Signs are posted advising of this.

The other sound we can hear is one week of the year for the event called "River Run", when thousands of Harleys trek up US 93 to Laughlin NV, and then back again on Sunday.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
What kind of major maladjustment s do these clowns have? Do they think that impresses me? They are nothing but smarmy, prick, little sum-bitches that need to holy crap beat out of them. I've got no use for people like that.

The same type of maladjustment as the adolescent jagoffs who fix their diesel pickup up, to produce the maximum amount of noise and black smoke when they accelerate. Imbeciles, the lot of them.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of an old 80s Nissan truck we had. Had a pop between every shift.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Guess no one remembers the Cherrybomb glass-pacs of the late 60's.

Same loud sound but at 5000 rpm instead of 8000.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I don't get the fart pipes on small cars, and I also don't get why some crotch rockets apparently sound like a screaming banchee even when trolling around at 30mph,,

but those folks probably don't get why I have left almost every vehicle I have ever had bone stock,,

to each their own, but keep the fart pipes and banshee's out of the neighborhood at night please

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

It's not a recent trend, my first car was a 1970 VW Beetle and being a teenager I replaced the muffled exhaust tips with megaphone tips. In addition for a stock Beetle it was smoking FAST, meaning it would do 0-60 mph in 14.3 seconds. Yeah, that was a real Hot Rod for a Beetle back then. If I time my shifts with a bit of delay I could get a single Backfire at each gear change. Got quite good at doing this. Miniskirts on pretty young ladies that tend to jump at the sound of a backfire made cruising Main Street rather entertaining.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5623 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post