SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Glacier NP...we are loving it to death!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glacier NP...we are loving it to death! Login/Join 
The Constable
posted
I'm in West Glacier with some friends , been here since Labor day.

Monday was wet and cold. We did have snow up high.So the Park Rangers closed the only way In, the west entrance. Only thing was they didn't tell anyone else, like the folks at the GATE taking fees and allowing tourists IN. So one waited in line, paid, then got to endure more traffic for several miles, only to be turned around with zero information as to WHY, and back we all went.

Tuesday the same deal! Though later in the day they did open the road all the way to Rising Sun lodge, where one got to turn around and crawl back 40+ miles.

And I DO mean crawl. The Going to the Sun road is narrow in many spots, with a scary view DOWN over very short guardrail's. IT is a bit unnerving unless you have some time on it. I'd say we averaged 20 mph IN this morning. The real treat was the folks who would simply STOP in their lane to take a photo or video.

So we get to where the group wanted to hike, not a single spot to park. Lots of cars parked and left, none leaving.

So we went farther in away from much of the crowd and near Rising Sun we found parking.

Saw off leash dogs, a big Park no/no.

Picked up a grocery sack of other peoples garbage; cans, wrappers even a dirty diaper. All easily deposited in a nearby trash can but obviously too tough for the litterers.

It's been an upsetting stay. I absolutely love GNP. It truly IS the crown jewel oof the Rockies. But the Park Service has to get going on the mess we currently have. FAR too many cars and visitors. Not enough parking.

No shuttle service this year either. I'm sure due to the covid BS.

I wish the Park Service the best figuring this mess out.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
three of the local camper sales companies have been on the local news raving about the 50% jump in
camper sales over last year.

then the news people visited some camp grounds ,

they looked horrible, oh not the grounds ,
but three hundred campers parked 48 inches apart,

there was more concrete and asphalt than there was grass.

the day I spend $40.000.00 to listen to a guy in another camper fart,
and another guy in another camper sneeze ,
is the day I find a 7 story building with roof access to the general public.

of the four parks they visited 2 were filled and the other two had 6-8 spots left to rent

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54504 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We live 15 miles from the West Entrance. We tend to go in the park early in the season and then late. Weekends suck as do holidays. Weatherman claims 80° for the balance of the week.

Also, great pizza at the Glacier Grill in Coram.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^
I used to do volunteer work for the NPS. They are chronically underfunded. You have to be a cop, lover of nature and put up with low pay. Thanks for picking up others trash.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
My friend will be there starting Friday for four days. I should tell him to expect a crap show. He said he had heard the going to the sun road wasn't even opened all the way?

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kuisis: He said he had heard the going to the sun road wasn't even opened all the way?

That is correct. The Indians shut down the East Entrance due to KungFlu. Have him monitor:

https://www.nps.gov/applicatio...tatus/roadstatus.cfm

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4216 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
GNP is on my list for a road trip soon. Was hoping maybe this year, but not looking like I will get a chance for anything more than a 3 day get away so will be keeping it local.

Maybe next year if we haven’t all died by then...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
That is correct. The Indians shut down the East Entrance due to KungFlu. Have him monitor:

https://www.nps.gov/applicatio...tatus/roadstatus.cfm[/QUOTE]

Thank You

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just south of GNP and if you think that was bad, a couple of months ago, they wouldn't let in large RVs so everyone was parked around Hungry Horse Reservoir. It's a famously rough road around it and there were dozens stuck that needed towed out.

Now every time we go fly fishing around there, we are bringing bags of trash out with us. Frustrating for locals to see really pristine places being trashed.

Thanks for helping to clean up the place

Posts: 629 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
I'm in West Glacier with some friends , been here since Labor day.

Monday was wet and cold. We did have snow up high.So the Park Rangers closed the only way In, the west entrance. Only thing was they didn't tell anyone else, like the folks at the GATE taking fees and allowing tourists IN. So one waited in line, paid, then got to endure more traffic for several miles, only to be turned around with zero information as to WHY, and back we all went.

Tuesday the same deal! Though later in the day they did open the road all the way to Rising Sun lodge, where one got to turn around and crawl back 40+ miles.

And I DO mean crawl. The Going to the Sun road is narrow in many spots, with a scary view DOWN over very short guardrail's. IT is a bit unnerving unless you have some time on it. I'd say we averaged 20 mph IN this morning. The real treat was the folks who would simply STOP in their lane to take a photo or video.

So we get to where the group wanted to hike, not a single spot to park. Lots of cars parked and left, none leaving.

So we went farther in away from much of the crowd and near Rising Sun we found parking.

Saw off leash dogs, a big Park no/no.

Picked up a grocery sack of other peoples garbage; cans, wrappers even a dirty diaper. All easily deposited in a nearby trash can but obviously too tough for the litterers.

It's been an upsetting stay. I absolutely love GNP. It truly IS the crown jewel oof the Rockies. But the Park Service has to get going on the mess we currently have. FAR too many cars and visitors. Not enough parking.

No shuttle service this year either. I'm sure due to the covid BS.

Howdy neighbor, from Helena

Buy American-MAGA

Posts: 26 | Registered: September 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We got to visit GNP a few years ago, and it is one of the most amazing places I have ever been. It was kind if crowded then, but I've heard they are setting record levels this year. A couple of years ago we started to camp national forests instead of national parks to try and avoid the crowds. This year, even those were getting crazy.

I have found that the most rustic, hardest places to get to are usually the best, because the "glampers" can't be bothered to put in the effort to get there or stay somewhere without a data connection and running water. This worked out for us for a while, but with the increased crowds this year, I'm really starting to think I need to build out that 4x4 I've been wanting so I can get way off the beaten path. I'd just backpack the whole vacation, but some of my kids are still a little too young for that.

Hopefully all the commercialized bullcrap opens back up again soon so that people go back to doing that stuff and leave the outdoors alone.

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Took a Jammer over Going to the Sun. Great ride, informative driver, just a pleasant trip.
Towards the end we encountered a big RV that was trying to go the other way. He’d driven past multiple signs banning RVs and the turn around. Park police were making him back down To a turn around. All the traffic behind him had to back out too. Nothing like an entitled fool.
The driver told me that besides the fine, the police will hold home until closing, then let him turn around and drive out.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
West Glacier

we had worse weather which I regret.

Swiftcurrent Lake

This might get published in a promo brochure next year. Still negotiating.

The Magic Bus

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
So how does Glacier compare with Banff and Jasper Parks in Alberta?
Lake Louise is the most beautiful place I’ve seen in North America outside Alaska.
Seems when we’ve gone in the past—oh that’s probably 35 year ago!—they weren’t too crowded in July.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of Kihei. We go to the beach (my friend lives there with his son), and we end stabbing the boards into the sand while we pick up trash from dirt bags before we go surf. People come, on vacation, and just treat the place like trash. Really pisses me off. Good on you for cleaning up after the dirt bags. Someone has to do it. They also stop places they absolutely should not to get that photo or video for their social media page. It’s definitely infuriating.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Houston we have a problem, we have met the enemy and they is us! Tourons have been 'loving it to death' since the 80's. Before that is was just the outfitters and cases of White Horse!

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post