SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Has anyone else resorted to hiding redundant household items?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone else resorted to hiding redundant household items? Login/Join 
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted
Generally the TV remote, but much worse is baby wipes. They are never where they belong. My wife and kids ALWAYS use them elsewhere and will not return them where they took them from.

There's been instances of multiple bags of baby wipes on the floor in the living room. All open. NONE anywhere near the changing room. I've had to hide a small-ish bag in a drawer that no one knows about.

The remote is never able to be found. My wife allows the 5 y/o boy to carry it around the house and it gets constantly lost. I've actually resorted to purchasing a separate remote and hiding it. They've found it, and now I have to find TWO remotes. I've now hidden it in my work bag. When I get home it follows me in.

Anyone else have to deal with this BS?

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Oh, and nail clippers. Kimber NEVER returns them. I've purchased several and store them in my underwear drawer. I'm sure I'll think of more...

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have hidden nail clippers for years cause the wife and kids never put things back where they belong. Bought my wife her own tools so she would leave mine alone. Worked my way through college as a mechanic and tools need to be put back where you found them.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Just stream via to your iPad and let the wife deal with the TV drama.

Put a clippers on your keychain (my dad did it for years) and never take the keys out of your pocket.

Other option is trade the wife in for a newer, lower maintenance model. It is a bit more expensive, however.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have the same problem, though I am usually the guilty party who puts it down somewhere else.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to have a group of friend over to my apartment to play poker. We sat on the floor. They began to complain that their cigarette lighters had gone missing during the games. While cleaning one day, I found the missing lighters under a cabinet.
My Siamese cat had systematically removed all the lighters during the game and batted them under the cabinet.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Clippers, tweezers, remotes, hair ties, screw driver of each head type, yep.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eat, sleep, fish.
Forced to work.
posted Hide Post
Nail clippers especially, screwdrivers and my damn flashlights! My husband got tired of getting ground on about the clippers disappearing that he bought me six of them for Christmas. I got sick of him taking my flashlights (especially my Fenix!) so I bought him those for last Christmas as well. He may get more flashlights this year along with a new Citizen eco-drive watch, salted gourmet caramels and contractor grade drill bits...unless I hide any of them Big Grin

Posts: 715 | Location: MN | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I keep my clippers in my truck. Nobody can fool with them there.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I keep my clippers in my truck. Nobody can fool with them there.
I don't know where my truck is. Has anybody seen it?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Pens! I’m going to buy a million pens and put 100in every cabinet, drawer,closet, crawl space, appliance, and jewelry box.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We buy Bic pens in ten-packs. My girlfriend leaves them wherever she wants, so rather than look for one, I just pull a new one out of the package. If I find one where it doesn't belong, I toss it in the trash.

She knows better than to take my good pens, which are in a place by themselves.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
There's my stuff, your stuff, and our stuff - in my house and world.

They are distinct categories, each with their own rules (or the lack thereof).

My tools are distinctly different from all purpose "house tools", as is my toiletries kit, etc.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some time ago, I discovered non monofiliment fishing line. It works great to keep "things" in place. Tie one end to a stable, heavy object, the other end to the "thing", giving the "thing" enough slack to still use. I think it is only 8 pound test, but it is usually enough to keep the offender at bay. It is a nice dark green color that camouflages nicely in my surroundings. At the very least you will hear yelling directed in your direction about what kind of monster you are for keeping your things yours.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenpoist:
Pens! I’m going to buy a million pens and put 100in every cabinet, drawer,closet, crawl space, appliance, and jewelry box.

Marry a cop, and you will never see a pen again.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
No, my people are pretty good about putting things back where they belong. I don't know if it's because they are naturally like this or they didn't like the fit I threw when there was an item missing from my tool box once.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I'm sure it's been done, but my "million dollar idea" was to put a 'locate' button on the TV that when depressed, would cause the remote to start beeping or making some kind of racket.

Posts: 10751 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
I'm sure it's been done, but my "million dollar idea" was to put a 'locate' button on the TV that when depressed, would cause the remote to start beeping or making some kind of racket.
I'm pretty sure that this exists. I can't tell you the make / model TV & remote combination that has this, but I think I've seen it in a "features" list for a TV. Maybe I'm imagining this, and just channeling your idea.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30668 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hammers, and tape measures.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have my own nail clippers set.

But, just last night, I pulled out the nifty best of breed can opener I bought on Amazon. I noticed the rubber insert in the cap opener portion was missing.

I got upset looking at drawers for the missing part. I said I'm going to buy another one and hide it someplace where only I can use it. After a while, my wife went and showed me that the can opener I got isn't the can opener I bought. She got the other one that was there and showed me it had the rubber thing. I said I'm still going to take my can opener and hide it. She suggested a place where I could I stick it and always have ready access.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post