SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    My department is changing duty guns again.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My department is changing duty guns again. Login/Join 
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted
From S&W M&P 9mm to Glock 19's. I do feel the Glock 19 is the better gun here...But...

My issue is the level of proficiency I maintain with my duty gun is going to fall for about 45 days while this transition goes on, and is going to cost me how ever much 2000 rounds of 9mm and associated range fees will cost. Everyone else is excited because they don't work like I do to keep their skills up. Then there will be the pending argument with the wife of why I am spending so much time at the range and in the garage dropping stuff, making weird noises and why is my hand bleeding.

Hopefully this will last at least 5 years before we change again.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I'll be happy to take your brass.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8752 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on dumping the M&P. Never was a fan. Im afraid my department will move away from the P226 to go to the M&P.... ugh. The armorers are all in love with them for some reason.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cous2492:
Congrats on dumping the M&P. Never was a fan. Im afraid my department will move away from the P226 to go to the M&P.... ugh. The armorers are all in love with them for some reason.

It will give them something to do for sure. They like to break in ways they have to go back to S&W to get fixed

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I'll bet your level of proficiency will be maintained very shortly after getting the Glock. Probably less than a thousand rounds and a couple hours of range time.

Posts: 829 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
From S&W M&P 9mm to Glock 19's. I do feel the Glock 19 is the better gun here...But...

My issue is the level of proficiency I maintain with my duty gun is going to fall for about 45 days while this transition goes on, and is going to cost me how ever much 2000 rounds of 9mm and associated range fees will cost. Everyone else is excited because they don't work like I do to keep their skills up. Then there will be the pending argument with the wife of why I am spending so much time at the range and in the garage dropping stuff, making weird noises and why is my hand bleeding.

Hopefully this will last at least 5 years before we change again.

I admire your desire to be proficient with your duty gun. I think you'll find the transition pretty easy. What range do you go to? Might call the range, explain your situation and see if they will extend a discount. Perhaps they have a slow time during the day or week and your schedule will allow you to practice at that time.

Noted your comment that your hand will bleed. What's that about?

And I don't think you'll need 2 thousand rounds to make the transition. If you want to shoot 2 thousand, go for it. But if your household budget is tight, you can scale way back on the ammo. I've attended proficiency classes taught by big time trainers and we only went through 500 -800 rounds.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an upgrade...be happy!

Posts: 3048 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: May 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Really, how much proficiency are you going to lose going from and M&P to a Glock? What's the main difference, grip angle? The triggers are very similar (both striker fired.) The controls are the same and in very similar places. The biggest issue for me would be the mag release (I can't reach the Glock mag release without shifting my hand.)

Now if you were going from M&P to a SIG DA/SA, and had to deal with a new fire control paradigm, I could see more of an issue.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If I was still with my last dept, I would STILL to this day be rocking a West German P226. A 30 year old duty gun. Its a good gun, but that's just ridiculous. I'd much rather they get new guns every 10 years.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I try to push for new guns every ten years or so.
It's usually cheaper than buying new night sights and springs for everyone.

We switched to the Glock 31 in 2008. I'm pushing next year to switch to gen4 31s.

Do you shoot any other guns other than your M&P?

I have lots of different guns and have no issues switching from gun to gun if needed. It's all sight picture and trigger control.

Unless you're like point shooting dimes out of the air?

Does your department let you use their range off the clock?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The G19 seems like a smallish gun for a police force, doesn't it? In Philly they carry the G17 and detectives and other non-uniformed personnel carry the G19 IIRC.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people never do get used to a Glock. Me for instance.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Why the 19 and not 17?
We're switching to the 17 from the 22. A welcomed change for me.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The G19 seems like a smallish gun for a police force, doesn't it? In Philly they carry the G17 and detectives and other non-uniformed personnel carry the G19 IIRC.

NYPD has been using the 19 for general issue for years and just added the 17 to the line up. the 19 is a 4" according to glock and the 17 a 4.5". Not a major difference. You do gain 2 rounds with the 17 and get a longer grip.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Never had a problem staying proficient going from one handgun to another. Fail to see the issue or panic.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The NYPD Glock 17 pistols have special 15 rd mags. Think about that.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
The NYPD Glock 17 pistols have special 15 rd mags. Think about that.

Yeah, they just started issuing those. NYPD looked at issuing 10 round magazines for the G19 at one point. They were also one of the agencies that went DAO with their revolvers. It's the brass, not the ejected variety.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I am always interested when departments change guns. Has anyone else noticed how many M&Ps have been swapped out after only a few years in favor of another gun? Is something unsatisfactory about the M&P in cop land?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I admire your dedication, 1* right? I understand your hand bleeding too, I just finished healing from a little gouge I picked up doing reload and stoppage drills with a 1911 and I'm just a part time carrier. Good luck and be safe.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1116 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am starting with a new agency at the end of the month, and they issue G21.

This will be a new adventure for me since I will be relocating back to Northern, VA and also since I have never been that proficient or comfortable with a Glock.

Way back in 2002 when I started in LE, I have been issued either a Beretta 92FS/M9 or the Sig P229. Plus like many of us on the board, I had to qualify with the M9 for the Army.

I foresee many hours at the range practicing.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post