SIGforum
My department is changing duty guns again.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/5990063024

March 14, 2017, 11:52 AM
guardianangel762
My department is changing duty guns again.
The issue is when you are above sited fire for shooting, and manipulation are a subconscious acts changing the gun really throws a wrench in things. I don't own a pistol other than my issued gun. My work rifle is my own built the way I want it and I train with the weapons more than other officers. A lot of them only shoot at mandated training.

I am finding reloads to be difficult with this gun to the level of smoothness I have with my M&P. Point shooting is starting to normalize but the manipulations are still clunky at best.

Even funnier I may be changing departments in the coming months and may ending carrying something else entirely different.

March 15, 2017, 11:00 AM
JR78
Honestly, I was happy with the S&W 5906's from years ago.

March 15, 2017, 05:02 PM
ulsterman
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
Honestly, I was happy with the S&W 5906's from years ago.

I remember the original Mod 59's, still have one in the safe.
March 19, 2017, 12:50 AM
jac1304
quote:
Originally posted by guardianangel762:
From S&W M&P 9mm to Glock 19's. I do feel the Glock 19 is the better gun here...But...

My issue is the level of proficiency I maintain with my duty gun is going to fall for about 45 days while this transition goes on, and is going to cost me how ever much 2000 rounds of 9mm and associated range fees will cost. Everyone else is excited because they don't work like I do to keep their skills up. Then there will be the pending argument with the wife of why I am spending so much time at the range and in the garage dropping stuff, making weird noises and why is my hand bleeding.

Hopefully this will last at least 5 years before we change again.

We went from G22 to MP .40, reason it cost only the holster. I liked my g22 gen 2, but the trigger (mp) was hard to get used to going from g22 to MP 40. The MP 2.0 is a marked improvement, but we're still not going to change to next generation MP.

If memory serves me we did an 500 round transition course when went from glock to smith. Our agency shoots 6 times per year but that used to be every month.

Can't really go wrong with a g19.
March 19, 2017, 01:39 AM
Deputy 617
It could be much worse OP. My first 4 years as an LEO, I carried first a 1911, then a Beretta 92FS. I've been with the same agency since 2005 now, and we have always been issued the P220 during that time.

You can imagine when it was announced a year or so ago that they were thinking of switching us over to the P320 in 9mm. Fortunately, they decided to spend the money on something other than new pistols, but still... Think about it.

Going from an all metal, DA/SA pistol with many years of proven reliability, to a plastic, striker fired pistol in a smaller caliber that has only been around for a short time.

Things could always be worse.

SIG SAUER...... Get you some!
March 20, 2017, 07:52 AM
guardianangel762
The situation just got funnier.

If I get picked up at the agency I applied at, well they carry the P226 .40... So that is something completely different.

March 26, 2017, 07:04 AM
Fredward
You all are making me feel old. My first "duty" gun was a 1911, standard Army issue at the time. I'd been out a couple of years before the M9 became standard issue.

How frequent are officer involved shootings in your locale? Sounds like an awful lot of training involved in a relatively minor equipment change.