SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Noisy people in restaurants piss me off
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Noisy people in restaurants piss me off Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
When I first came down here on my house hunting trip (corporate relocation), I dined at a restaurant with $30-$65 entrees. It was my first time dining at this location, but the first time I lived in Houston several times I had enjoyed dining at their original location (~45 minutes away). The restaurant had both a bar area and a dining area, and I had a reservation in the dining area since my plan was just to enjoy good food while reading a book. What I didn't realize was that it was a 5 minute walk to an outdoor concert pavilion and there was a concert that night.

It was very crowded and the restaurant was all hard surfaces (glass or concrete) so it was on the loud side. Then, they seated two tables of 12 in the dining area and it got obnoxiously loud since both the men and women acted like they were in a bar not a restaurant (e.g. yelling to someone on other end of table).

I said something to the waitress and she both agreed and promised to send the manager over. I saw the manager stop at a couple tables on the way over and the patrons were pointing at the two obnoxious tables. Manager gets to my table and that conversation did not go as expected.

Manager: "Good evening. [waitress' name] said you wanted to talk to me"

Me: "It looks like I'm not alone in my displeasure in patrons acting like they're in a bar when they're in an expensive restaurant. Please talk to the two large tables."

Manager/Dickbag: "If that's how you feel, don't dine here when there is a concert."

Me: "I'll choose option #2"

Digbag: "What is option #2?"

Me: "Never dine here again and write about this loud and poorly managed location on multiple review sites."

They went out of business in under 6 months.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
My theory is that people start talking at a normal volume but then start talking a little louder so they can be heard over the background level. People then talk louder and so on until they're shouting to be heard. It's a feedback loop; if allowed to continue the speakers will blow. Management should blow a whistle every few minutes and tell everyone to turn it back down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Eponym,

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:
My theory is that people start talking at a normal volume but then start talking a little louder so they can be heard over the background level. People then talk louder and so on until they're shouting to be heard. It's a feedback loop; if allowed to continue the speakers will blow. Management should blow a whistle every few minutes and tell everyone to turn it back down.
Management/ownership is part of the problem. Way too many restaurants are 100% hard surfaces so sound just bounces around in there. The acoustical art panels do wonders for restaurants.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dad who has maybe 40% of his hearing left always wants to go to Texas Roadhouse when I take him out to eat. It's so loud in there I don't even bother trying to hold a conversation with him.

Does he like the food that much or is he trying to tell me something.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
There's a Famous Dave's close to Bass Pro Shops here and it's incredibly loud, too loud to have a conversation with your companions.

We only went there twice, the second time to see if they fixed it....they didn't.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
That's nothing, try sitting in my MIL's family room with 6 other women, 15 conversations, all going on, with multiple people talking about different stuff at an immeasurable volume that would have had my college apartment landlord beating on the door for me to turn it down..

I'd just excuse myself and go sit outside and listen to the coal trucks hauling down the hill with jake brakes on full for a bit of comparable silence...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Here its Buffalo Wild Wings. Unbearable noise level. One visit was enough.

and if the noise isn't enough for you, try the food... Wink

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3209 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Yes can't stand noisy resturants and especially those with the uncontroled rug rats.... Today wife and I did a late lunch (2 pm) at a local steak/seafood resturant and as pleasantly supprised as was not crowded and not that loud . Small bowl of Seafood gumbo (south Louisiana style) over a scoop of white rice and 1/2 dozen oysters jacked up with bacon bits/melted pepperjack cheese/jalapino(??) peppers.. wife had fried catfish/sweetpotato fries/ salad w/ranch dressing. Plus split a serving of some warm hushpuppies. Told the waiter to put my name on the wheelbarrow list or he would have to carry me out to the car. .............. drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
That's nothing, try sitting in my MIL's family room with 6 other women, 15 conversations, all going on, with multiple people talking about different stuff at an immeasurable volume that would have had my college apartment landlord beating on the door for me to turn it down..

I think we may be related.

My wife comes from a large family and she has 8 sisters. When they get together, there are multiple conversations going on at the same time, which each trying to out shout the others. After we were married a few years, I just told my wife to count me out of any family gatherings.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6401 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:

You're right about the feedback loop. An alternative is the place can put in some sound deadening and white noise.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Yes can't stand noisy resturants and especially those with the uncontroled rug rats.... Today wife and I did a late lunch (2 pm) at a local steak/seafood resturant and as pleasantly supprised as was not crowded and not that loud . Small bowl of Seafood gumbo (south Louisiana style) over a scoop of white rice and 1/2 dozen oysters jacked up with bacon bits/melted pepperjack cheese/jalapino(??) peppers.. wife had fried catfish/sweetpotato fries/ salad w/ranch dressing. Plus split a serving of some warm hushpuppies. Told the waiter to put my name on the wheelbarrow list or he would have to carry me out to the car. .............. drill sgt.
Don's ? Duke's ?

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I sat near two women at lunch a few days ago. They weren't particularly loud, but one of those women was a non-stop wall of sound. I don't even know how she managed to eat, since she never stopped talking.

I would have strangled her if she was my lunch companion. I nearly did anyway.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Don's ? Duke's ?
^^^^^^ Duke's (south location)... Sure miss the old orginal "Don's " on Airline Hwy, BR< La. which closed several years ago. ................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Noisy people in restaurants piss me off

you just don't understand. people have rights /S

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Don's ? Duke's ?
^^^^^^ Duke's (south location)... Sure miss the old orginal "Don's " on Airline Hwy, BR< La. which closed several years ago. ................. drill sgt.
Don's is much improved in the last year or so . Been a couple of times lately .

Posts: 4055 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
quote:
Noisy people in restaurants piss me off

you just don't understand. people have rights /S

Sadly many do not have manners!

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What happened to the manners in the olden days?? I have a lunch group I go out with every Friday. Ages 40-70. No manners!!! 3-4 conversations going on at once, hats on at the table, trying to talk over one another, and I won't even go with the older guys who refuse to use their VA supplied hearing aids!!!! What ever happened to one person talking at a time????

Posts: 660 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Okay, but it's Buffalo Wild Wings. Not exactly fine dining. They want it to be a fun place. They want it to be social. It isn't meant to be quiet.

quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Here its Buffalo Wild Wings. Unbearable noise level. One visit was enough.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post