SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Water damage *6/15 Update - Finally completed*
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water damage *6/15 Update - Finally completed* Login/Join 
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I get that shit happens, but this is not exactly confidence-inspiring. If it's doing this after 1 day, how's it going to be holding up in a week/month/year?

yikes. that is not good. i think i might get a second opinion from a well established roofer on that one

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
i think i might get a second opinion from a well established roofer on that one

My roofer is a well-established roofer.

His subcontracted workers, on the other hand...

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Wow Rogue, since your roof was paid by a claim, do you have to notify the insurance company again about that?

It hurts just looking at that. I know when mine was completed I was so relieved, like a weight being lifted. Hope all gets straightened out for you and no future issues.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Problem #2:

Found this as one of the bathroom exhaust vents.

No flashing. Shingles just bent around the thick plastic base and heavily (crudely) caulked.

It's a plastic wall vent, much like we have in the side of the house for our dryer vent.

This exact one, in fact: https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPER...yer-Vent-Cap/3203015

Not a roof vent, which has a wide flashing around the edges:

I'm no roofer, but that looks like a major leak risk for me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Wow Rogue, since your roof was paid by a claim, do you have to notify the insurance company again about that?

Nope. Haven't paid the roofer yet. (Haven't even gotten the endorsed check back from the mortgage company, in fact.)

posted Hide Post
Depending on the amount of the claim, the mortgage company may not release all of the funds until their inspector signs off. Each mortgage company is different. The fact that payment has not been made leaves considerable leverage.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Depending on the amount of the claim, the mortgage company may not release all of the funds until their inspector signs off. Each mortgage company is different.

Yep. Our mortgage company releases part of the funds off the bat, then part of the funds after inspection.

But they have yet to release even the initial part. I have paid $0 to the roofers so far. My first check is supposed to be here next week.

I had planned to pay the roofer the initial amount once it arrived, and contact the mortgage company on Monday to schedule the inspection, but now I'm going to wait for the roofer to address this vent issue first.

posted Hide Post
You are proceeding correctly. Good luck.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The first one looks like a "nail pop" it should be fine once the nail is fully down and the shingles seal. The vent is all wrong.

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would pay a different roofer to walk the entire roof. If they cheat in one place, they usually cheated everywhere.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Talked to the roofer yesterday. He said he spoke to his subcontractor, who talked to his workers, who claim that was what was there before, so that's what they put back.

I'm not sure what specifically was there before. Either way, it's not right.

The roofer said "I could swap it out if that's what you want". Roll Eyes (Note there was no actual admission that it wasn't done right.)

Yeah, dude... I definitely want an actual roof vent on my roof, not a wall vent with some extra caulking.

So he agreed to replace it by the end of the week.

On the plus side, they were very prompt in fixing the two nail pops on Saturday, and there have been no other issues with the actual shingles since, despite some severe storms over the past couple days.

But it's still going to be inspected.

posted Hide Post
All squared away? My roofer told me about a guy who made his wife get up on the roof with a hose while he was in the attic to check for leaks. Wanted to make sure he had a good roofing job.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
After getting the runaround from the roofers for an entire month, and having to go to the owner of the roofing company to get any satisfaction, the vent was finally replaced with the correct type yesterday.

I have a roof inspection scheduled for Saturday morning, to ensure there are no more additional issues, before I proceed with paying the roofing company.

posted Hide Post
Home repairs are a real pain. Glad to hear it is coming to a close.

posted Hide Post
Hopefully you're in the clear now, honestly if that vent a nail pop or two is all you have to worry about it, don't lose any sleep over it. Given the fact your claim could have been denied from the start.

I still stand by my original statement however... "Roofers are the shadiest contractors I've ever had to deal with in the insurance world"

Wink

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Inspection done. Everything's good with the roof.

So it's finally all complete, except for the check writing.

posted Hide Post
Did you get to keep the dryer vent?

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No, nor do I want it.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
It's probably a great feeling to put the roof behind you. Should be good to go for many years. Since your thread, when driving short distances I've noticed a few folks around here in the neighborhood still have plastic nailed to their roofs. Some are showing time and wear blowing around and in pieces from aged sun dried brittle plastic. Knowing we're going into hurricane season down here I feel for them knowing that at any time we could get tropical downpours and the water always finds those annoying leaks again, been there.

Enjoy your new roof Rogue!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post