SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Water damage *6/15 Update - Finally completed*
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Water damage *6/15 Update - Finally completed* Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
Seems like every time I turn around in the last 6 months or so, something in my house is getting damaged by water.

Leaky window resulting in water damage to the windowsill.

Leaky shower resulting in water damage to the walls and trim.

Leaky roof resulting in water damage to the soffit.

Failing exhaust fan resulting in condensation damage to the guest bathroom ceiling.

Now this morning I discovered that a shutoff valve under the guest bathroom sink was leaking, resulting in water damage to the cabinet under the sink.

Sure, I love swimming, and showering, and drinking. But seriously, screw water.

It's getting to the point where I'm halfway tempted to move to the desert and build a house out of nothing but materials impervious to water damage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Spoken like a true Atlantean...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Yeah, just look at what that stuff did to the Grand Canyon.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I can relate.

We've had the wettest "winter" I can recall. The ground is/has been completely saturated since the summer. Everytime I walk across the yard I hear squish, squish. (Doesn't help that the soil here is primarily clay). Usually there is a flooding warning after the winter thaw so it should be really interesting come spring.

I have a leak on the chimney flashing I have to fix once the weather improves. And water is very patient.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the mold that follows. Water. Like a women, can't live with it, can't live without it. Ha

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
So how's the water heater looking?

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
So how's the water heater looking?

13 years old, and still going strong, but on the list for replacement in the next couple months.

Luckily, it's in the garage, so even if it fails before replacement, damage will be minimal.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, bad luck.

I have been helping a friend of mine with his problem, he had 3 inches of water in his basement.

The waste water drains were backed up from the melting snow and rain, nowhere for the sump pump water to go.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Seems like every time I turn around in the last 6 months or so, something in my house is getting damaged by water.

Leaky window resulting in water damage to the windowsill.

Leaky shower resulting in water damage to the walls and trim.

Leaky roof resulting in water damage to the soffit.

Failing exhaust fan resulting in condensation damage to the guest bathroom ceiling.

Now this morning I discovered that a shutoff valve under the guest bathroom sink was leaking, resulting in water damage to the cabinet under the sink.

Sure, I love swimming, and showering, and drinking. But seriously, screw water.

It's getting to the point where I'm halfway tempted to move to the desert and build a house out of nothing but materials impervious to water damage.

Feel your pain; last house we had a leak in the roof at the vent pipe - damaged the ceiling in our daughters home. Then the condensation drain tube for the HVAC system clogged and dumped water on the floor; we didn't see it for awhile so it soaked into the wall and mold started growing. House we live in now, finished basement flooded 3 times, roof leaked at the chimney, and water leaked from the tub plumbing into the walls and floor; total gut and redo which I'm still working on. Again, I feel your pain man.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yay. More water damage.

Discovered another portion of the roof that is leaking. The shingles are unscathed, but something happened to the underlying sheathing, which has crumbled underneath. (I'm thinking this probably heralds a problem further upstream, like the flashing around the chimney, which is almost directly in line with this area.)

There's now an 18" or so wide circle where the shingles have started drooping, where water pools when it rains and the water then leaks into the interior, before eventually leaking out the underside seam between the soffit and fascia.

Luckily, it's right at the edge of the roof over our back deck, so the water damage appears to be limited.

Roofing company is coming out Wednesday morning to take a look and give me an estimate for repair.

Rather than patching the roof repeatedly, and playing "whack-a-mole" with leaks once they start causing damage, I'm thinking we may have to bite the bullet and do something like a home equity loan for a whole new roof (~$8000+).

Have I mentioned how much I hate water?

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I'm feeling ya RogueJSK. I'm holding a $5000 plumbing bill as my pipes broke under my foundation. They have to re-route thru the attic. My automatic pool cleaner crashed a month ago, my electric garage door motor is dying (may get away with a new motor capacitor)and the list of minor things go on...calk the shower in master bedroom, new wood benches out front...it never ends with home ownership!

I'm feelin' ya though Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Gave up with the leak and bought a new roof about five years ago. Everything is dry (so far).

Bought a truck with a sunroof that leaks. Shopped around. 'We don't show a sunroof as an option for that model year truck.' the dealership said. Layering silicone and rebuilding the gasket as it appeared in a cross section elsewhere. This was a royal PITA, but much better than the previous owner's attempt: Duct tape. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since I live in a hurricane prone area I am very familiar with roof replacement. After you get estimates ask for references of past customers. Go and call them. A good roofing crew can do the job in a day. Typically the estimate will call for replacement of some of the decking. Anything over that is extra. Insist that all of the felt is removed. Be there the entire time. If you are able walk the roof yourself after the felt is off to check for spongy areas. Ask how many nails per shingle. Most crews use auto nailers these days. Some of the crew are not diligent about the nailing. Skimping on nails saves time. Discuss whether they will be allowed to drive trucks on the lawn. I told them to do it all by hand and they complied. Insist that they carefully check for roofing cleates. Some just make one pass with a cheap magnet. Get the best shingles you can afford. All of them are wind rated. Generally the wind rating is pure fiction. How the shingle are put on is the most important part of the job. Hope this helps. I also specifed no loud music.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have 5 roofing companies coming out for estimates on Wednesday. I plan to request estimates on both the repair of that section, as well as for overall replacement.

From what I'm hearing from friends, we can likely swing the cost of a repair out of savings, but not the whole replacement. But we have ~$60k equity in the home, and as much as I loathe taking out loans, I guess another monthly bill is better than a collapsed roof and water-damaged home. Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
If you have multiple leaks in multiple areas, it's time for a re-roof, otherwise you can patch those now and in a year, you'll have several more leaks......and so on and just be spending good money after bad.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
If you have multiple leaks in multiple areas, it's time for a re-roof, otherwise you can patch those now and in a year, you'll have several more leaks......and so on and just be spending good money after bad.

I'd agree with this. In my experience since one of our hurricanes in the past, my roof sprung a few leaks. We did what seemed to be a relatively good patch but the hurricane or tropical storm following opened up the leaks again. I finally decided to just take some of my savings and do a complete re-roof. In the end, it cost $17k, I didn't have any more leaks. In my area you can still drive around and see plastic blue/black tarps being held down over leaks. Chasing them didn't work and learned a lesson in $$'s. My roofer had a roofing business and lived down the street from me, a friend. Every step of the way he took photos for me (I cannot climb ladders anymore)and we had inspectors that came out and checked it before the final covering. He did all the fascia and soffit work also. Excellent job, and it's been it's worth in gold as we are a target for hurricanes/storms here in South Florida. If you can squeeze the cash, do it, it's worth it just in peace of mind.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I hear you, and feel the same way about chasing multiple repeated leaks.

However, the only other leak we've had was a minor issue caused by a small section of wind-damaged shingles and damaged drip edge. I repaired that myself, and have had zero issues since (until now, in a totally different area for a totally different reason).

So depending on what the various roofers say, and the determination of the ultimate cause of this newest leak, it may still be reasonable to just fix this issue and rock on for another 5-10 years on the current roof.

It's an architectural shingle roof, supposedly rated for 30 years. While I recognize 30 to be a bit generous, I'd sure like to get more than 15 out of it.

I'll know more after tomorrow, and can make an informed decision about whether to repair it, or go for total replacement and explore an insurance claim to cover some of it and/or a home equity line of credit.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Insurance claim filed.

The cause of this leak is reportedly inadequate shingle overhang of the gutter in that section, which has allowed enough water to roll back under and past the drip guard and onto the sheathing, eventually leading to rot, recent collapse, and accompanying drooping/puddling.

That particular issue is unlikely to be covered, since it's not due to a storm but improper install and deterioration over time. But the various roofers said we had a decent shot at a replacement roof due to overall hail and wind damage, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a claim.

Now to wait on the adjuster.

If the claim is denied, they were confident that with some sub-$1k repairs, we could limp the roof along for another 5-10 years in hopes of a more destructive hail storm. Which is good, because I didn't really want to be paying the estimated $13k replacement cost all by myself.

posted Hide Post
Roofers are the shadiest contractors I've ever had to deal with in the insurance world. There are good ones, but they are far from the norm. Almost every roofer I've ever dealt with will tell you to file a claim. Just heard a story last week that a roofer told an adjuster while there's no visible hail damage, hail has ammonia in it and the ammonia is what damages the shingles.

Based off what you've described, I doubt it will be covered, especially without seeing photos. Has there been a hail storm in your area of late? The whole roof have hail damage or just one side of the roof?

You may have potentially shot yourself in the foot too. Some carriers will negate your claims free discount, should you have one, even if a claim pays out $0.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Has there been a hail storm in your area of late?

5 hail storms of 0.75" - 1" hail in the last 3 years according to a StormIntel report going back to 2016. And I know of a large hail storm (unknown size because the hail report I received doesn't go back that far) in 2011, during which 3/4ths of the neighborhood got new roofs, but not us.

quote:
The whole roof have hail damage or just one side of the roof?

I do know there are some hail dings on gutters around the whole house, but I don't know about the roof. None of the 4 roofers today got on more than just the one side of the roof.

Our 12/12 pitch and excessive granule loss likely played a big part in that. "Like ice skating uphill" as one put it, while climbing to the peak.

quote:

You may have potentially shot yourself in the foot too. Some carriers will negate your claims free discount, should you have one, even if a claim pays out $0.

I do have a claims free discount. Zero claims in 13 years of auto/renters/home insurance with my company.