SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Property Taxes in TX
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Property Taxes in TX Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
When I bought my house 15 years ago, I think my annual tax bill was $3000-3200 a year. I had to submit my tax information to my accountant this week and scanned in my property tax bill, $5500 now. Fuck me I'm sick of these blood sucking sons of bitches in Texas. A friend in Austin bought a year after I did, in what used to be a blue collar neighborhood. His tax bill is $1k per month now. To add insult to injury I have been looking at property on one of the Hawaiian islands for fun. House I just looked at was low 7 figures, and the annual tax bill was $5500. So that's where we are at in Texas now. Your modest 2000 sq foot home has the same tax bill as a baller house in Hawaii. Fuck me. Thanks Californians for moving here you fuckers. I'm going to eventually get taxed out and have to sell my home.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. I'm budgeting $6,000 for next year's taxes, insurance, and HOA fees on my modest 1,602 sq. ft. townhome. Seems Tennessee has it right. My brother and S-I-L just retired there and the tax rate is only 25% on the appraised value of their property. Yup...sumbitches moving from the west are "California-ing my Texas". GTFO!!! Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
You know the bargain we made in Texas. No income taxes, but high property taxes.

Pick which way you want to be taxed. Stop complaining.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
You know the bargain we made in Texas. No income taxes, but high property taxes.

This is pretty much it.

Try living somewhere with personal property tax. Registering two new vehicles when we moved to WY was something like $1800/yr for the first couple years. My $78 TX registration looked a lot better after that.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly. No free lunch. Just different methods to charge for it.
Once you get people to understand that concept, you can try to explain equalization or how millage rates, assessment values and how their portion of the budget gets collected. Good luck with that one.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We spend a day in Amarillo a year ago. We drove around the town and saw some beautiful home - some of which were for sale. Out of curiosity we looked a few up on Zillow when we got back to our hotel and we’re amazed at how inexpensive they were by comparison to our market. Looking further I could see the taxes were punitive. In Montana, we pay about 0.30% of market annually. Amarillo pays about 4%. Crazy.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:

I can complain about the increases. County taxes me like my house is 100% remodeled and in perfect condition for a sale. It is not. I have fought them, protested and they don't give a fuck. I get a protest response that basically says "deal with it!". It's out of hand.

Thanks Californians. You all moved here and all I got out of it was a massive increase in property taxes and traffic. Oh and increased remodeling fees because apparently all you jack offs move here with blank checks for labor and material.

Posts: 12631 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Did I mention Tennessee does NOT have a state income tax?? Wink

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Oh and increased remodeling fees because apparently all you jack offs move here with blank checks for labor and material.

Here lately, a big part of that is COVID-related too. Super low mortgage interest rates due to efforts from the Federal Reserve intended to jump-start the slumped economy have resulted in major house-buying demand and therefore a house building boom, and building supply prices have skyrocketed, due to the double-whammy of scarcity from production shortages and shutdowns in the factories, as well as the big increase in demand.

Supply goes down, demand goes up = Price goes up.

For example, lumber prices are currently nearly 2.5X what they were a year ago. And that's nationwide, not just in areas where Californians with blank checks are flocking. Other building supplies are experiencing similar increases. As a result, any remodels anywhere are going to be pricey for the near future, until the market eventually corrects itself, likely after interest rates start to climb again.

But hey, at least you can find lumber now, most of the time. There was a period last year where you couldn't find a single pine fence picket in my entire area, for several months straight.

(That housing market boom is also leading to increases in house values too, which will translate to further increased property taxes in the near future, once your house gets reassessed with it new even higher value. So the fun's just beginning on that front.)

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Absolutely. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

My property taxes are around $1,600.00/year here in Arizona and my state income taxes are pretty low also, I paid $695.00 in State Income taxes last year.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain. My view - mine are probably double but I also have to pay considerable state and I get none of the freedoms you exercise. Shed a tear for me too. Smile

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I mention Tennessee does NOT have a state income tax??

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah but 8 percent sales tax.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lobby for a law like Prop 13 California passed some 30 years ago. Under this law, property taxes cannot increase unless the ownership of the house changes. It happened because people were being taxed out of their property.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

My property taxes are around $1,600.00/year here in Arizona and my state income taxes are pretty low also, I paid $695.00 in State Income taxes last year.

$2,295 all in? I'm in the wrong state! Kudos AZ!!!!!

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

$2,295 all in? I'm in the wrong state! Kudos AZ!!!!!

That's part of the reason I'm here. Another part is low prices and lastly, we're #1 in Best places for gun owners every year according to Guns & Ammo Magazine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Consumption taxes are the best form of taxation. Everybody pays an equal percentage, all economic activity gets included, even monies derived from illegal activities, or from people below the radar like illegals who do not participate in income taxes. Furthermore, travelers and visitors also get to contribute some for the services they receive while in your state. Sales taxes also provide little opportunity for politicians to meddle by using the tax code to engineer society. In other words, they are fair. Lastly, they are efficiently collected at the point of sale, placing little burden on the public-at-large to comply with tax collection the way income taxes do, while providing little cost to the government for collection.

Kudos to Tennessee for doing it right. Oregon, you suck.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Actually non-food items are 9.25% to 9.75% depending on where you live. Nashville property taxes just got bumped 33% by the new liberal mayor. Also a very high property Transfer Tax exists when you buy a home.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
8.25% sales taxes here in the Houston area. Looks like Tennessee is still in the win column. Smile

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You still have it pretty good.

I know people in PA paying $10,000 - $12,000 a year in property taxes.

Posts: 33806 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Arkansas has the best system.

Income tax
Sales tax >9%
Property tax based on assessment
Personal Property tax on vehicles, boats and RVs. (In addition to the sales tax you paid on purchase)
And the weather sucks.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post