SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just had a visit with my doc.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just had a visit with my doc. Login/Join 
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
... quit smoking them stogies and pipes...

Do doctors just not understand how cigar and pipe smoking works?

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
When I lived in Reading, Pa, I went to my doctor to have my blood pressure checked - see if his prescribed meds were working. As my regular doctor was out of town, another physician in the group did the BP check.

She was a beautiful Chinese Lady.

Four times she checked my BP and pulse. Each time got higher.

Left the room and sent in a male nurse to do the chore.
SOOOOO, you finally got a happy ending from the male nurse? hahahahaha
Nope, he took the Blood Pressure reads....

but now we know where your mind is!
Big Grin

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I'd ask for a second opinion...from the same doc.
Work out something you are willing to do and what you're not willing to give up.

My late father-in-law's cardiologist told him not to come back until he lost 20 lbs. He didn't lose the weight, so he didn't go back, and died probably of a ruptured aortic aneurysm.
Moral: talk back to the doctor!

Posts: 18017 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although she phrased it in medical terms, it seemed to boil down to:

"You're a lazy fat fucker who needs to exercise more, loose at least 20lbs, quit smoking them stogies and pipes, quit drinking so much, and eat only shit that you don't like."

I'm shopping for another doc. Roll Eyes

Sounds like a good doc to me. Wink

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenpoist:
quote:
... quit smoking them stogies and pipes...

Do doctors just not understand how cigar and pipe smoking works?

<gazes at Kenpoist...>

How do they work?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm shopping for another doc.

So just how hot was she? Surely you've got a nekkid photo you can send to all your email buddies.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:

"You're a lazy fat fucker who needs to exercise more, loose at least 20lbs, quit smoking them stogies and pipes, quit drinking so much, and eat only shit that you don't like."

Now this is just me, but I'd prefer a doctor that was honest. Would you rather them blow smoke up your ass?

Or are you not all the things you mentioned?

Or is it that she didn't put it bluntly?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Work out something you are willing to do and what you're not willing to give up.

My late father-in-law's cardiologist told him not to come back until he lost 20 lbs. He didn't lose the weight, so he didn't go back, and died probably of a ruptured aortic aneurysm.
Moral: talk back to the doctor!

Man...that is sad. Frown What a bad attitude.

I had a cousin that had a ruptured aortic aneurysm at age 67. I have read that it can be hereditary so I get an ultrasound done every two years.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
Now this is just me, but I'd prefer a doctor that was honest. Would you rather them blow smoke up your ass?
I think you have it wrong, Otto.

The doc wants Jim to have less smoke, not more.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

That's what I was assuming, but hell, that's kinda their job. I don't want a mechanic to tell me I need a repair, but I'd much more hate the thing breaking down just down the street!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

That's what I was assuming, but hell, that's kinda their job.

It's the kind of doc I want, but cannot find.

Hell, even the Osteopath and Chiropractic I once had appeared about ready to suggest cutting, when all it took was a bit of physical therapy Frown

quote:
I don't want a mechanic to tell me I need a repair, but I'd much more hate the thing breaking down just down the street!

Indeed.

I've told this story in a couple other threads, over the last few months, so I'll be brief. I wanted to keep my 2007 TrailBlazer. Loved it. But body shop said "$7,000 to maybe save it." 2nd body shop said the same. Now I could probably have found a body shop that would've done what I wanted, rather than what I needed. But I wanted to hear the truth, not a fairy tale.

TBH I'm still not sure whether Jim's poking fun at some of the responses in the When a Medical “Cure” Makes Things Much, Much Worse thread I started or whether he's serious.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1950’s, when he was well into his 80’s, Winston Churchill told us that 20 years earlier, his doctors had told him to give up brandy and cigars. “They’re all dead now.”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why does it have to be one or the other? Can't find something in between? Exercise doesn't mean working out in a gym until you hurt or running marathons. A simple walk every day is OK. Tobacco smoke has absolutely no redeeming qualities, but you don't have to give up cigars or pipes completely if they give you a subjective pleasure. I have personal experience with excessive drinking. I cut way back to no more than two beers a day on weekends and one a day on work days, instead of drinking to near intoxication every night, and feel better for it.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^

Because that is boring on the Internet. Hard core everything is where it’s at. Wink

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:

I did that. He said, "you're ugly, too!"

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
I have personal experience with excessive drinking. I cut way back to no more than two beers a day on weekends and one a day on work days, instead of drinking to near intoxication every night, and feel better for it.

That's a sad story. I like the drinking till intoxicated a lot more. Sounds like fun.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, Jim, at least the doc didn't say no more chasing women. Or did you leave that out?

Faster Horses, Younger Women, Older Whiskey, More Money!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Now you could definitely use the help of some off duty police officers.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Doc: "Blood pressure is good, so is your cholesterol, PSA well within limits, you need to drop about 15 pounds. If I told you to quit bourbon and cigars, you'd tell me to do the same so we aren't going there."

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
give me $260.00 an hour

a three times a year and I will tell you exactly what you want to hear Big Grin

and AND!
I will see you when the appointment says so !

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post