SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Just had a visit with my doc.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just had a visit with my doc. Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
Although she phrased it in medical terms, it seemed to boil down to:

"You're a lazy fat fucker who needs to exercise more, loose at least 20lbs, quit smoking them stogies and pipes, quit drinking so much, and eat only shit that you don't like."

I'm shopping for another doc. Roll Eyes

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the thread about cures making things worse, we were told that doctors never say such things. They only push drugs.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Lemme give you a remote analysis for free:

Jimmy, you have adequately stored caloric energy for the coming apocalypse, so good work. By conserving your energy, you have preserved your muscle mass for optimal growth in the future, whenever the supply of alcohol and processed smoking goods has been consumed and fried foods have become Unobtainium. In the interim, continue to stockpile said goods and sample daily as needed to ascertain quality assurance.

You'll live forever, Jimbo. Or, at minimum, a galactic standard week.

You're welcome.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Reading, Pa, I went to my doctor to have my blood pressure checked - see if his prescribed meds were working. As my regular doctor was out of town, another physician in the group did the BP check.

She was a beautiful Chinese Lady.

Four times she checked my BP and pulse. Each time got higher.

Left the room and sent in a male nurse to do the chore.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I like the way you think, ss45. I'm gonna rent a doggie costume and make an appointment... Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know what they say, exercise, eat right, die anyway.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
When I lived in Reading, Pa, I went to my doctor to have my blood pressure checked - see if his prescribed meds were working. As my regular doctor was out of town, another physician in the group did the BP check.

And ...?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

And ...?

He doesn't remember as he was passed out with a content smile on his face. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:

And ...?

He doesn't remember as he was passed out with a content smile on his face. Big Grin

She was gorgeous. But happily married.

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Doc told me 40 years ago "if there is a famine you will be one of the last to go".
I still believe in being prepared.

Posts: 747 | Location: Vermont | Registered: February 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I told mine that in no uncertain terms am I giving up bread and pasta.

Nope, it ain't gonna happen.

If I am going to die, it will be happy.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34081 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
In the thread about cures making things worse, we were told that doctors never say such things. They only push drugs.

Both medical professional and patient comments in that thread tend to confirm Jim's recent experience is atypical.

So, Jim, you're going to go shopping for a doc that'll tell you what you want to hear, rather than what you need to hear?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Misanthropic Philanthrope
Picture of MWC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Although she phrased it in medical terms, it seemed to boil down to:

"You're a lazy fat fucker who needs to exercise more, loose at least 20lbs, quit smoking them stogies and pipes, quit drinking so much, and eat only shit that you don't like."

I'm shopping for another doc. Roll Eyes

Why were you there in the first place if you have no interest in maintaining your health? Confused

Posts: 6772 | Registered: June 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
May 2015 I was pretty much in your state of fitness however I did quit smoking in January of 2012. I was sitting on the couch watching something not at all interesting on the boob tube and had an Epiphany. That being that if I didn't start getting some exercise I probably wouldn't live to see 70.

Today I took delivery of a Yunmai scale that has all the metabolism bells, whistles, and tweaks. Currently my BMI is 22.7, Body Fat is 13.1% Muscle Mass is 60.8% visceral fat is 1%, and my Body Age is 61. BTW, I turn 63 next month. In addition to the new scale I've gone whole hog on Garmin fitness products and my current VO2 Max is 38, resting heart rate last night was 40, I am averaging 20,323 steps per day and total distance covered in the past week is 79 miles.

I'll also note that I have been diagnosed with mild COPD as a result of a 37 year cigarette habit. So while many non smokers might consider a VO2 Max of 38 nothing to brag about those with COPD normally have a VO2 Max in the low to mid 20's. BTW, turns out the most effective treatment for COPD is exactly what I have been doing for the past 2 1/2 years, that being daily exercise that gets you breathing a bit forcefully.

When I first started out doing a 16 minute mile was really pushing it, now I'm doing the mile in under 11 minutes and am still pushing it, average HR for a 10:43 pace this morning was 144 bpm. Current goal is to do a 9 minute mile and I don't know if I'll get there but having a goal helps keep me motivated.

Jim, you are quite well liked here so I would just like to point out that what your doctor is telling you is worth listening to. I'll also tell you that the first mile is the toughest mile you'll have to do, after that it slowly starts getting easier. The Ball is now in your court, please think about it.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
I told mine that in no uncertain terms am I giving up bread and pasta.

Nope, it ain't gonna happen.

If I am going to die, it will be happy.

So, so true. Now, to be honest, I do workout and bicycle to stay in shape. However, all these folks who say that eating bread and pasta is totally unhealthy can just keep their diets to themselves. It doesn't seem to have hurt the Italians. The way I see it, if I can't have bread, pasta, and sugar, I may as well be dead already. Big Grin

Posts: 559 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I gave up sex, drugs, and rock n roll.

Worst hour of my life!

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
6 Reasons Walking Is Good For The Body, Mind And Spirit

Walking is an ideal daily exercise for a wide variety of reasons – including its beneficial impact on body, mind and spirit! Walking as a way to get daily exercise can help strengthen major organs in the body, promote bone density, boost the immune system, lead to a more positive outlook and more. Find out why you should add walking to your daily to-do list and the advantages walking has as a simple, do-anywhere exercise.

Health Benefits of Walking

Some benefits of a brisk, daily walk include:

Less Stress. The Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports published a study in the January 6, 2015 issue showing that a 30-minute lunchtime walk done three times per week can boost mood and help to address stress. Next time work has your anxiety rising, try spending part of your lunch break on a walk.

A Longer Life: The New England Journal of Medicine followed 8,000 men over 12 years; those who walked two miles a day had a nearly 50 percent drop in the risk of death.

Lowered Risk Of Cancer: The same study found that those who walked two miles a day cut their risk of death from cancer by about 65 percent.

Weight Loss. If you want to lose the pounds, start walking! Several studies have shown that walking between 8,000 to 10,000 steps per day – that’s about four to five miles – is a highly effective way to lose weight.

A Boosted Brain. The National Council on Aging found that in people over the age of 60, a 45-minute daily walk at a brisk pace of a 16-minute mile significantly boosted cognitive performance. A different study found that 40 minutes of walking, three times per week, slowed the normal, age-related shrinkage of the hippocampus. This is the part of the brain that consolidates short-term memory – and for those with Alzheimer’s disease, is one of the first regions to be damaged.

A More Active Social Life. Walking can easily be a social way to get physical exercise. Dr. Weil believes that humans are highly social and meant to live our lives within families, communities and tribes. When those connections are not present, we can suffer. So next time you go for a walk, consider inviting a friend along – or better yet, join a walking group – a great way to get physical exercise while connecting with others!

Advantages of Walking:

It can be a simple substitute for driving, especially for shorter trips. Next time you can walk to run an errand, give it a try.

No need to buy special workout clothes – walking can be done in street clothes. All you need is a good pair of shoes!

It can be done anywhere – indoors and out, on flat or hilly land.

It requires no skill or practice.

It is one of the safest exercise options, with the least chance of injury.

https://www.drweil.com/blog/sp...0Mind%20And%20Spirit

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
A colleague once told me "why bother with this health shit. You just get two more years in your hospital bed shittng on yourself!".

Make sense to me.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

SOOOOO, you finally got a happy ending from the male nurse? hahahahaha

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:

SOOOOO, you finally got a happy ending from the male nurse? hahahahaha

Nope, he took the Blood Pressure reads....

but now we know where your mind is!