SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    No, I don't hate dogs.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

No, I don't hate dogs. Login/Join 
posted
Growing up we had a dog, she was a good dog and together with my uncles dog they ran around a few hundred acres of farm land without a problem. They had a 5 gal bucket of water that was changed out as needed at his house and a smaller water dispenser at ours on the porch. They were fed twice a day or we just left a big bowl of food out for a few days, she came in in bad weather or if we wanted her inside and they both played with us outside. It worked out so that we were not 'owned' by our dog but could go about our life as needed.

My wife.

My wife wants a dog and grew up with dogs, I wouldn't mind getting a dog just not where we live currently, which is civilian ran off base military housing. We have a back yard that is 15 by 20 ft. The other issue is i refuse to accept the responsibility of being a dog owner in this house due to both it not being fair to the dog and being owned by the responsibility.

What I mean by it not being fair to the dog is that I would prefer an outside/inside medium breed dog that we can leave outside (with dog house etc) for a few days and we just cannot do this in my opinion where we live now without it being unfair to the dog. I also refuse to be owned by a dog always rushing home to take him/her out, always worried that they jumped the fence etc.

My wife is the reason we have 3 cats, I wanted no cats so now we have 3. This will not happen with a dog. (I love our cats and with the litter, food dispenser and waterier we use they can go a week without us.)

My Wife's Aunt.

MY wife's aunt is currently living with us and without consulting me brought a small dog home from her bosses mother who had to go into a nursing home. She told me it was only going to be here a few days until she found a new owner. Well I have been bombarded with comments from both of them to the affect of why cant we just keep it? Neither of them think it will be an issue but they refuse to see my side of things and i am the 'bad guy'. I told the aunt that i would not help with the dog, and in 2 days i have been asked 3 times to take it outside.

They both think i don't like dogs, and while i don't want a dog in my bed i do like dogs. I have told my wife countless times that i don't want a dog at this house but at our next house we can get a dog provided we have outdoor space. And now the Aunt is saying that she is moving out because i don't want the dog here that she didn't ask me about.

Good grief. thanks for letting me vent.

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp: And now the Aunt is saying that she is moving out because i don't want the dog here that she didn't ask me about.

Did you say there was a problem?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don t blame you

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjp: And now the Aunt is saying that she is moving out because i don't want the dog here that she didn't ask me about.

Make sure you send the dog a "Thank You!" card and a treat, when they are settled.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

No, and to be fair there isn't i just don't want to take care of anyone's dog. She moving out is 100% her choice, she dosent pay rent but she cooks up a storm.
She decided she wanted the dog within the last day and i guess in her mind she would rather have to pay bills than not habe a dog...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Make sure you send the dog a "Thank You!" card and a treat, when they are settled.

Monkey, you sir, are evil. I actually like this aunt, she has done alot for us

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a dog out there that doesn't care about those details and will still take you in.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:

Sounds like a win-win to me as well.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
So why do you hate dogs?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Even the most peaceful-home-loving pacifists of us have to occasionally make it clear that this simply will not stand and can not continue. Actually, when you're not a perpetual asshole I think it's even easier to get folks attention and understanding that you mean it, and it's not a discussion.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like dogs, too, but dogs simply require more attention and care. You can easily become owned by the dog.

So you may just have to put your foot down.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
They don't respect you.

Maybe they figured you would fall in love with the dog if they just arbitrarily brought one in.

This isn't a 'dog issue,' IMO. It's a respect issue.

Ask the wimmins how they would feel if you made a big decision that you KNEW they wouldn't approve of. See if that makes them see your side.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like it's just me and the wife, when i was talking to my wife she said her aunt had been staying at a friends and would be moving out next week. Not what i really wanted because her aunt could cook damn good and helped a lot around the house, but i don't want a dog and she pissed me off by not even asking before bringing it home.

So i get my man cave back!

posted Hide Post
I don't hate dogs either, but I do hate people who sleep with their little dogs or let them pee on the floor in a motel room that I may have to rent for a night afterward that still has a "Doggie Smell".

I now search for a Motel that does not allow pets.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I like dogs, too, but dogs simply require more attention and care. You can easily become owned by the dog.

So you may just have to put your foot down.

But around dogs, you always have to watch extra careful where the foot lands!

As an aside, I just finished a very large upgrade fencing and kennel upgrade , I will end up spending about $1,000 total on this work.

And I brought home a rescue Siberian, to enjoy this new area, along with my other dogs.

To the OP, you are in a pickle, if you didn't know it.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
unless your barefoot, then you just know...

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
The Aunt will probably blame Trump for your behavior.

Posts: 2765 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Dude...you'd think we were brothers or something Wink

I am fortunate that our lab is the lowest maintenance dog I've ever known. He won't even try to run away, only barks when he thinks someone is knocking on the door, and hasn't had a single accident since I moved in with my wife (her dog).

I had to put my foot down about him sleeping in the bed, but that was accepted without issue.

I could not endure a high-maintenance dog. I've got too many things that jack up my schedule and my kids are always #1. Maybe I'll get a needy dog after they are grown and I'm retired.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post