SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who only drive fast in a straight line, but crawl around curves
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who only drive fast in a straight line, but crawl around curves Login/Join 
posted
I hate people who want to drive fast in a straight line, to the point of riding my bumper if I dare to only travel at 5mph above the speed limit, but don't have the ability to keep up around curves. It's annoying to me. IMO, if you do not possess the ability to navigate a curve at speed, you have no business operating your vehicle at higher speeds under any condition.

It's simple vehicle handling dynamics, not rocket surgery, I fail to understand how so few people seem to understand how to handle curves.

Edited to add that this is primarily in regard to vehicles which should easily be capable of handling a bit of speed through the curves with a decent pilot.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Because it takes no skill to press the pedal down on the straightaways...

But in that turn... WOOOAH, what's going on? I'm shifting in my seat out of the turn, I have to keep my eyes (mostly) on the road and can' see my Twitter / Snapchat / BookofFaces feed anymore, and my weak hands hurt while gripping the steering wheel and making it work for me.

Ouch. Their bodies and heads hurt at the effort, much easier to slow down and relax a bit.

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Even a poor-handling vehicle can be made to go quite fast through curves. An extreme example is logging trucks.

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
One of my biggest pet peeves. We have a lot of winding roads through the mountains around here. Seems like a large number of folks feel this overwhelming need to ride their brakes on every minor curve and slight change in elevation.

It's like they think that if they don't slow to a crawl on every curve and every downhill slope, they're going to go hurtling off the roadway.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
t's like they think that if they don't slow to a crawl on every curve and every downhill slope, they're going to go hurtling off the roadway.

Of course, some of use are silently hoping for that to happen...

Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
Many people drive with miscellaneous crap laying on their dash and/or rear parcel shelf. Those folks refuse to take a turn any faster than the point where their stuff starts sliding. Some people just freak out if they feel any G-force so they drive like they're on a wagon trail in the Carpathians. Yep, they're the idjits doing 15 in on/off ramps and merging onto the 65 mph freeway at 30. Heaven forbid they spill their drink or bowl of cereal.

One reason I keep cars and motorcycles with excessive horsepower is so I don't get stuck behind idjits that lollygag through curves. When I come up on slowpokes I just simply go around them. If there's a bit of room I have the horsepower to pass them instantly including any jackasses that attempt to block passing by speeding up. I've never understood the motivation for blocking passes (other than little-dick syndrome) but few of those cretins own decent vehicles so they're treated to a view of taillights. Their self-loathing is their own problem.

No need to get mad at these fools - just downshift and leave them where they belong: behind.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Or reverse position and it is more annoying. People in front crawl through the corners and then speed up on the straight where the passing lanes are, and they ignore the pullouts for "slower" drivers. We have a law here if a car has 3 or more behind it to use a pullout and let everyone by. Seems some can't read that sign.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living in WV, flat landers are truly out of their element, lack of driving skills are fully exposed. Good business for brake shops.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Or reverse position and it is more annoying. People in front crawl through the corners and then speed up on the straight where the passing lanes are, and they ignore the pullouts for "slower" drivers. We have a law here if a car has 3 or more behind it to use a pullout and let everyone by. Seems some can't read that sign.

Ah yes, these are my favorites. The ones who will do 75-80 in two lanes, but then when it merges down into one lane they immediately drop to 55. Fuckers.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try explaining the concepts of trail braking or getting on the gas before the apex to these mouth breathers. Eek

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post