SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Petco’s marketing strategy works like magic.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Petco’s marketing strategy works like magic. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
We’ll soon pick up a new puppy, so we decided to see what types of bedding and toys were available at Petco. We selected a small bed and chew toy that were on sale. They should have totaled less than $17 including tax. When I declined to share our phone number, the total shot up to over $25! As a result, no money changed hands.

Like magic, Petco’s strategy turned us into Amazon fans. YMMV Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Stupid isn’t it? To this day I don’t shop at grocery stores that use the membership cards. I shop at Publix or Aldi and that’s it.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Stupid isn’t it? To this day I don’t shop at grocery stores that use the membership cards. I shop at Publix or Aldi and that’s it.

I know how you feel. HEB is our go to grocery store now. Sorry Kroger.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
(Local area code) 555-1212

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

True! You don't have to use your real phone number. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BR 549 works just fine. Tell them you live where there are only five digits in the phone number.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Pennsylvania Six Five Thousand

Or maybe (858) 453-7845 (Petco's HQ number)

No, wait -- how about (623) 580-6100? (PetSmart's HQ number)

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Petco’s strategy turned us into Amazon fans

Did Amazon require any of your contact information? They didn't ask for your e-mail or home address did they?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

Did Amazon require any of your contact information? They didn't ask for your e-mail or home address did they?
Amazon has my email address, I certainly want them to be able to communicate with me in the event that there is a problem with an order. Not the same thing as buying something at a counter, where there is no need to communicate.

Home address? Nope. Amazon does not have that. Orders go to the nearby locker, or to my account at The UPS Store.

As far as a telephone number, if a store asks for it (demands it), I simply tell them that I am hearing impaired and have no use for a telephone.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Home address? Nope. Amazon does not have that.

You underestimate Amazon. Wink

They have all of your information and use it in the exact same way Petco does (but on a much larger scale). They are simply tracking your behavior and either using that information themselves or selling it to others who do.

If one were to Google my company there's an address that comes up at a warehouse that we rent. I have never used that address with anybody, but somehow Google knows. Welcome to the new age, where everything we do is monitored, tracked, and sold to whomever is willing to pay.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15692 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I have two email addresses. One for friends and family, and trusted others, and the other address is for the rest of the world.

And I have a google phone number I use when I don't want to give out my personal number. It's free, and you can set it up to email any voicemails left at that number.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

True! You don't have to use your real phone number. Cool

867-5309...speak to Jenny Big Grin...I've had a couple of store employees look at me and grin.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridgerat:
And I have a google phone number I use when I don't want to give out my personal number. It's free, and you can set it up to email any voicemails left at that number.

I use this method as well, especially for online purchases. Also for the store cards. For local businesses, and especially health care providers, I give them my cell phone number (which is the only "real" number I have). I get very few voicemails from the Google Voice number, and almost all are spam anyway, which goes to show that the businesses I give it to don't prefer the phone, but rather email for communications.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
When necessary like online grocery ordering I will use my correct email address but most times when it is required to get thru an order process that asks for my phone number, I've given out the same number with an incorrect last digit. I only do this when I feel that they really don't need to contact me other than thru email.

I also have my phone settings that sends unknown numbers directly to my voicemail. If they're important enough other than just phishing they can leave a voicemail and I will return the call.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
If possible please support your locally owned businesses.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

I heard of this really awesome one in NC, it's called The Pet Place.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:

I heard of this really awesome one in NC, it's called The Pet Place.

Thanks Jesse. I did mean locally for him. Big Grin

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
When I fill out contact information and only want e-mail, I just change the last digit on the phone number. Not like they'l figure it out because my phone number is from a different state.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Just use the phone number to the Petco store that you are currently at, or make one up. Same for email.

I'm sure the poor guy back in the day, who registered the email address "123@AOL.com" or similar, got so much spam from people using it for such, it's permanently unusable.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's how they get ya-tracking your dog food and Doritos purchases. As I see it, you have no privacy left anyway. Might as well save a few bucks. Your phone and car tracks your location. Every move you make outside is on camera, and inside most public buildings. Your computer, smart tv, and even refrigerator may spy on you. NSA monitors every electronic communication. I'm gonna sweat Petco or Kroger?

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post