SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Army uniforms
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army uniforms Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
Who's dumb idea was it put the rank on some little gay tag on the chest where it is covered up half the time?

Dammit, put it back on the collars where it belongs.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
It's all about being a target in the field.

Junior personnel know who the senior ones are. You don't salute the lieutenant unless you want him to get sniped. Wink

My son once told me, you know when the JO has really pissed of his senior officer. The senior snaps a salute at the JO's approach.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
Check the cover.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
At least Army ranks and insignia make sense. I'm still learning the Navy equivalents--oh yes and Marine too (volunteering at Balboa Naval). Makes my head swim.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Who's dumb idea was it put the rank on some little gay tag on the chest where it is covered up half the time?

Dammit, put it back on the collars where it belongs.

It gets a little awkward when you are trying to figure out the rank on an approaching female.
But, the new armor and outerwear now has spots for the rank so it's not covered over.

I'd also like to see the branch insignia brought back.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Loved the armored triangle patch that I wore a number of years. Started out with the 30th placed over the left front pocket. Then in Texas I wore the 49th on the sleeve. I liked the green camo uniforms better. Will be buried in mine. Today uniforms are too generic. But that's the plan.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
It's all about being a target in the field.

Junior personnel know who the senior ones are. You don't salute the lieutenant unless you want him to get sniped. Wink

My son once told me, you know when the JO has really pissed of his senior officer. The senior snaps a salute at the JO's approach.

The problem is that 99% of your time is spent in garrison where you are expected to salute. Like others have said, at least there's the cover.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I liked how we did it in the Air Guard with the rank on the sleeves:

When I was in the Army it was still BDU's with the collar rank which was also very hard to spot.

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Putting the rank insignia on the collar doesn't work with the mandarin collar. Sometimes one side is "out" and other times it is "in."

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I liked how we did it in the Air Guard with the rank on the sleeves:

Yeah, but that's Air Force, they don't really count. Razz Big Grin

(j/k. I spent two years on an Air Force base and loved every minute of it. It beat the hell out of being on Ft. Drum at the time.)

Seriously though, sleeve or collar is where it should be and has always been and where all of us old folks look to see the rank. There is no good reason to move it to the chest. Change for the sake of change is never a good thing.

Put it back where it belongs.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Putting the rank insignia on the collar doesn't work with the mandarin collar. Sometimes one side is "out" and other times it is "in."

The Army deleted the Mandarin collar on the newer ACUs. But, the new collar isn't big enough (IMHO) for the old sew on rank.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We put rank on the chest in 2005. After 12 years of wearing it that way, I think by now we're all used to looking at someone's chest to determine their rank.
It does suck that officers don't wear branch on their collar anymore though.

Posts: 2014 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

The mandarin collar, while designed to be turned up, never is. If you see one turned up in a movie or TV show, which is the only times I've seen it done, it's because the costume advisor was an idiot.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
"It does suck that officers don't wear branch on their collar anymore though."

This!

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by houndawg:
The mandarin collar, while designed to be turned up, never is. If you see one turned up in a movie or TV show, which is the only times I've seen it done, it's because the costume advisor was an idiot.

Even when wearing the OTV/IOTV? IIRC, that was the original intent of the mandarin collar design: to protect the wearer's neck from the bulky collar of the armor vest.

I guess now that the combat shirt is in widespread use they felt they could drop the mandarin collar, since the ACU blouse is worn less frequently under armor.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Even when wearing the OTV/IOTV? IIRC, that was the original intent of the mandarin collar design: to protect the wearer's neck from the bulky collar of the armor vest.

I guess now that the combat shirt is in widespread use they felt they could drop the mandarin collar, since the ACU blouse is worn less frequently under armor.

I never velcroed the collar under the vest. My unit actually used to let guys patrol without the collar yoke and nut flap. But, you are correct on your comment about the combat shirt being preferred. Must of the guys I was with preferred the combat shirt to the "coat, army combat uniform" (no one I know calls it a blouse).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

I never velcroed the collar under the vest. My unit actually used to let guys patrol without the collar yoke and nut flap. But, you are correct on your comment about the combat shirt being preferred. Must of the guys I was with preferred the combat shirt to the "coat, army combat uniform" (no one I know calls it a blouse).

Never seen it called anything BUT a blouse. Easier to ask "permission to deblouse" than "permission to decoat, army combat uniform" Razz

I preferred the combat shirt when we were able to do it, but even when we weren't I don't recall EVER seeing that mandarin collar up.

Does drive me INSANE watching TV shows with it though, but not nearly as much as my ex-fiance (she was an MP). We tried watching a show on SyFy (that I've long forgotten the name of) but she enjoyed the premise and still turned it off because one of the main character always wore the mandarin collar up and she just couldn't stand it anymore...

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xwesler:
Never seen it called anything BUT a blouse. Easier to ask "permission to deblouse" than "permission to decoat, army combat uniform" Razz

I preferred the combat shirt when we were able to do it, but even when we weren't I don't recall EVER seeing that mandarin collar up.

Does drive me INSANE watching TV shows with it though, but not nearly as much as my ex-fiance (she was an MP). We tried watching a show on SyFy (that I've long forgotten the name of) but she enjoyed the premise and still turned it off because one of the main character always wore the mandarin collar up and she just couldn't stand it anymore...

Seriously? I think I was asked "Hey Sir can we drop our tops?" once, never had anyone ask to delouse. Interesting, maybe it's regional.