SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    A sure-fire formula for spiking my blood pressure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A sure-fire formula for spiking my blood pressure Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

So you're married, eh? Frown

What's equally unnerving is getting asked a question and there is only one answer they already know so why do they ask it in the first place.

That's a whole other subject. Ask me a question regarding something that they know nothing about, and then tell me my answer is wrong.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Engineers in the 25-35 age range...

Condescending,clueless, lazy and uber sensitive when you disagree with them...

...and if they do get anything done, it's three to four times as long as it should take.

I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but this has been my experience.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyHorse5.0:

...and if they do get anything done, it's three to four times as long as it should take.

I'll add female engineers I've worked with in just about any age group.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A sure-fire formula for spiking my blood pressure is......

My attending a Tucson City Council (All Democrats) meeting open to general public.

Upon leaving the building I always look for the sign that reads: "Bang head here".

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
and testing the elasticity of my veins and vessels:

Ask me to do something, and then spend the next hour literally looking over my shoulder, telling me how to do it and nit-picking every detail.

Just for fun, follow her around as she does chores or cooks, and offer suggestions to improve her productivity and effectiveness in the process.....

Wear a cup and a helmet though...

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyHorse5.0:

I'll add female engineers I've worked with in just about any age group.

Agreed.

Posts: 59 | Location: NW Burbs of Illinois | Registered: June 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Ask me to do something, and then spend the next hour literally looking over my shoulder, telling me how to do it and nit-picking every detail.

In my line of work, it's standard, and frequent. We are constantly poked, prodded, and checked, pulled in for testing, training, and evaluation, and when that's not happening, inspectors come to us and watch us work. It's about safety, training, and standardization.

When I was a kid, I went to work in a pizza shop. The owner would order a pizza, and when I brought it, take a bite, scream, "this tastes like shit!" and throw it in the trash. Later, he'd order another. Rinse, repeat.

His business, his way. If it wasn't exactly as he wanted, he pushed until it was.

There's literally nothing my wife will ask me to do that won't be micromanaged, even if she doesn't have any idea what I'm doing. It slows things down, and I'd have more success telling my employer to go jump off a ledge. The big difference, at the end of the day, I have to crawl into bed with my wife. Not my employer.

I had a shop sign that said $/hr. $$/hr if you watch. $$$/hr if you help.

The online forum equivalent are those who write, "what you should have said is..."

Micromanagement at every level.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Years ago, shortly after I got married, I was working on something in the house. The wife strolled up and started in about how I was doing it. I promptly put the tools down and said if you know better it's all yours, I'm done.

It stayed like that for months, tools sitting there and all. I was working 100+ hour weeks and refused to deal with it when I did have time. She finally agreed to butt out and I finished it, to this day she just goes away when I'm working on something.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It's like dealing with ISO bullshit at work. Talk about micromanagement

We have a poster at work that says "I don't know what your job is but my book says your doing it wrong"

it pissed off the ISO lady. People who dont even know what they are talking about. They come to me and say you have to perform this test. I said that test is ancient and no longer has meaning, that was for 20 year old technology that you don't use anymore. Too bad has to be done, book says so. I said you don't even know what this test is or what it means. Too bad book says do it. So I said ok, the result is 2, put that down. I got blank stares. I said it's 2, since nobody in this room understands what this test is or what the result means I can make up whatever I want, and you have no idea how to react. They didn't know how to respond.

In the end they insisted I do the formal test and I told them flat out Im going to charge you out the ass to do this and you don't even know what it means. So they are paying me a stupid amount of money for essentially a random number generation test

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^ TBG (The Beautiful Girl) says "Shut up and do that 5 times a day. You can't fix stupid, but you can sell it and retire early."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

In that case the title should have had continuation marks..... Big Grin

There are no such things as "continuation" marks. Ellipsis are used are used to indicate ommitted material, and sometimes to indicate a pause in quoted speech.

As to PHPaul's comments, I went into the kitchen to cut a piece of pie last night, and my wife was very full of helpful advice about cutting and serving pie. I feel you, brother.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are no such things as "continuation" marks. Ellipsis are used are used to indicate ommitted material, and sometimes to indicate a pause in quoted speech.
Some of the most mis-used punctuation in American English. Almost as bad as apostrophes for plural.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually, ellipsis are used for continuation of thought, and it's a legitimate and appropriate use. The use of the ellipsis is not restricted to omitted material.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize...f%20of%20a%20thought.

quote:
Ellipsis '...'

An ellipsis has different purposes and can be very useful in your writing.

• It can be used to show a word or words have been removed from a quote.

• It can create suspense by adding a pause before the end of the sentence.

• It can also be used to show the trailing off of a thought.

https://www.thepunctuationguide.com/ellipses.html

quote:

Informal writing

In informal writing, an ellipsis can be used to represent a trailing off of thought.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya know, when I open threads like this I am reminded of the subtle and nuanced sense of humor that exists here on the Sig Forum.

One of these days, we need a big old Sig Forum round-up. Im sure I’ll be laughing my ass off!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Earlier in my career (late 70s-early 80s), old farts liked to hover over me, or sometimes sit outside the shop in lawn chairs, doing exactly that. I particularly remember one who, when I jacked up a car and started taking lug nuts off with an impact gun, saying, "Shouldn't you break the nuts loose before you jack it up?" "The tool does that, you stupid son of a bitch," I said. To this day, after being harangued for swapping sides on tires when rotating them ("You can't do that to a radial tire, it'll come apart!" they screeched), I rotate them front to back, just to avoid that argument. Now that I'm approaching "old fart" status, I don't get that much any more, but the memory remains.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post