SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    First and last time ordering from GrubHub
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First and last time ordering from GrubHub Login/Join 
posted
Yesterday we planned on doing mulch after work so the wife decides to order dinner on GrubHub. She placed the order at 4pm for a 630 delivery.

Around 630 we get an update the order is pushed back to 645 then another update its pushed back to 7pm. Wife calls the restaurant directly and asks if they are busy or if its GrubHub. They tell us our order is ready and waiting for pickup. Huh...?

Get another update from GrubHub its now a 730 delivery. No where on the app to cancel the order. Wife then gets the chatbot and luckily gets puts through to customer service. They tell us they are still looking for a driver to assign the order.

So let me get this straight. My food has been sitting for over an hour and you still dont even have anyone to pick it up yet? Its a solid 10-15 min drive to get to my house. Best part is my wife ordered a milkshake too (guess it would have been just milk by the time it got here).

I understand you have staffing issues but be honest with upfront so I can decide if I dont want to place an order. Hour and a half old food is unacceptable. They did refund our money but its also a waste of food.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Never done it myself, but was never too keen on the idea either- a stranger in their personal vehicle with their hands on my food out of sight of anyone else.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Never done it myself, but was never too keen on the idea either- a stranger in their personal vehicle with their hands on my food out of sight of anyone else.

My thoughts as well.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
How is it different than any other food delivery driver?

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I did Uber Eats (as a driver) a few times.

For most fast food type places, they didn't start the order until the driver got there.
These usually had the bag 'sealed' shut with a sticker of some sort.

Sit down places, it was usually ready or near ready when the driver got there.

I imagine there a far fewer drivers out right now. Saw an article last week that Uber/Lyft were reporting a pretty large drop in revenues.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

Probably not much, but someone who works for the restaurant would at least be directly accountable to the owner.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16517 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^
Especially if you order Italian...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I suppose I'll be the dissenter. I like it, and I've used it. The only time I've not used it, it was because that particular locale charged high delivery fees.

The service offers a great deal more variety than your typical delivery joints too which was great when I was on "house arrest" in Portland for two weeks doing reserve last month.

As far as the potential of people messing with food...I just don't worry about it. But, I also drink coffee made from the water on the airplane, so I'm not overly squeamish, I suppose.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Normally it works fine. I’m guessing current circumstances are affecting service.

Pretty much all the restaurants around here are slammed with takeout orders. Yesterday, two restaurants actually turned us away and couldn’t take our order because they were so busy.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
The same thing happened to me as to OP. 1 1/2 hours wait after the estimated delivery time. Utter bs. That was 2 yrs ago. The driver apologized, but shit, my food was cold and soggy. He told me they only had 1 driver for my area.
I learned my lesson.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
location, location, location.

I'm in the North County of San Diego and my wife has the whole process down to refund/refuse to accept - due to food being cold or late.

We've also noted a few places have dropped specialized delivery places and formed up a co-op within a specific shopping area

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of our now closed restaurants are trying to do home deliveries.
So who is it doing the deliveries? Has there been some mad rush to become a delivery driver?
Our Jimmy Johns went completely closed. And they deliver during the non-apocalypse. Until my local folks advertise they have many drivers standing by to haul ass to my door, I will be leery of delivery promises.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reason enough I don't order delivery- If 25% admit to eating your food it's higher.

quote:
1 In 4 Food Delivery Drivers Admit To Eating Your Food

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/30...-to-eating-your-food

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13401 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Most of these delivery services screw local restaurants over.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Most of these delivery services screw local restaurants over.

How so?

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steep discounts to the Service. Damn near charging the deliver service food cost. Then Service is charging full boat price to the customer with a "delivery charge".

Similar to Yelp, Open Table and the like. They take 7-10% of the entire bill.... tax and tip included as their fee.

Last time I talked with a restaurant manager and told him I looked on Yelp for the avail times.... then called direct for a reservation. His reply - "Fuck'm" and sent a nice bottle of wine to the table as a thank you for avoiding Yelp.

I'll pass on using a service when I can swing by and pick it up.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ergoproxy
posted Hide Post
I thought I was the only one. I have seen Ring videos of delivery persons doing "quality control checks" even by the doorstep.

quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Posts: 1158 | Location: USA | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:

It's not. I have ordered delivery once in my entire life and likely will not again.
I had an HVAC crew at my house and was running late so I had pizza delivered for them.
When I have folks at my house doing work full day or multiple day jobs.
I always provide lunch for the crew. You let them know when the day starts you will be buying lunch.
I find work gets done with more care and they don't waste time leaving to go get food.
If something goes wrong down the line they tend to remember and treat you well on fixing issues that may pop up.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having food delivered is out of pure convenience. Its definitely not my preferred option.

I would rather pick it up which is usually twice as quick as waiting for delivery.

However, working in yard I knew I would be filthy and there was no way I could pick up food. Wife was watching the kiddo and I could not stop in the middle of work to take over baby duty. There were not many options left.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
How so?

They (and similar companies) act like a drug dealer. Try them for "free" to get you hooked, then they start with the high fees. Now if it stopped there, then you may have simply made a bad business decision.

But then they go on to hijack your web presence so that any search for the restaurant leads searches to them instead, they are known to make changes to your menu without your input, and when they screw up (by being late, eating your food, etc) its your reputation on the line.

I've talked to many restaurant owners that use these services. I'd say only about 10% are happy with their relationship.

As an example:

https://thinktank.pmq.com/t/doordash/17356

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post