SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Hilton Customer Service is beyond Ridiculous!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hilton Customer Service is beyond Ridiculous! Login/Join 
posted
So my Fiancé is traveling to Kenya to spend time with the 1/2 of her family that still lives there.

I made a reservation for her and her sister to stay at the Nairobi Hilton. I called and used my points from their members program and gave them my Credit Card to pay for the difference that my points didn't cover.

So my Fiancé arrives there late their time and they tell her that the room isn't paid for and they take her cash money that she has with her.

Furious I call Hilton customer service to complain and get the situation fixed. They told me that they didn't charge my credit card yet and that the only way that the Hotel could charge my card to pay the difference was for me to fax a credit card authorization to the Hotel. I told them I have no way to fax anything to a Hotel in Kenya and for them to just charge my card. They wouldn't let me pay for the room and were pretty rude about it, saying that's just policy.

What BS!!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Why not go to a local Hilton and see if they can help you.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to dial it back a little. Hilton Honors has zero influence over the hotel. If you want to pay with your card, you'll need to send a card authorization by fax to the property. Then, after that charge has posted, cancel the card and get it reissued with a new number. When you booked, with a points and cash transaction they only captured your card as a guarantee, I'm guessing. You can't fax the guarantee? No FEDEX Office, or Staples nearby?

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
You might want to dial it back a little. Hilton Honors has zero influence over the hotel. If you want to pay with your card, you'll need to send a card authorization by fax to the property. Then, after that charge has posted, cancel the card and get it reissued with a new number. When you booked, with a points and cash transaction they only captured your card as a guarantee, I'm guessing. You can't fax the guarantee? No FEDEX Office, or Staples nearby?

You are making their same stupid argument. I called HILTON RESERVATIONS to make the reservation. And did you miss the point that the Hotel is in Nairobi Kenya? Do you think I would be stupid enough to fax my credit card number there even if FEDEX wouldn't charge me half the cost of the room to make an international fax even if they were able?

I travel a good bit. I've made dozens of Hotel reservations including with points from other chains. You make the reservation, pay for it with your points and card and it's a done deal. Hilton reservations are completely incompetent when they can't do what lots of other services can......

posted Hide Post
And to top things off they responded to me and Facebook and said they referred my issue to management and it might take as long as 72hrs to respond..........2 days after she checks out!

posted Hide Post
Why not book on the Hilton website and get a confirmation number and email that you can print and give to her? I almost never call reservations and I can't remember any issues with online bookings.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go to Walmarts and purchase a debit card that you put the amount required, in cash. Use it for the transaction, than discard it. I've never tried it personally, but I suggested it to someone else. She had a father and family that steal any cash or credit cards she carried. She still liked going home. She'd put the minimum on the card, and use a new one when she went home.

If it foiled American thieves, it will probably work on the Nigerian ones as well.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Why not book on the Hilton website and get a confirmation number and email that you can print and give to her? I almost never call reservations and I can't remember any issues with online bookings.

I DO have a confirmation number and have included that in all of my correspondence with them. I called because I wanted to use My Hilton points for part of the charges.

I've gotten 2 emails from them today. I asked the manager to either charge my card or give my Fiancé the change from her deposit - I wired her extra money to cover it. An hour later I got another Email back asking me to send copies of my Passport and copies of my Credit Card front and back! Are they serious? I'm home in the USA mind you. Who in their right mind would send all there personal confidential information and a copy of their credit card to someone in Africa? Just ridiculous that an International Business like Hilton can't charge $78.92 on a credit card. If I'd booked this through Travelocity, Hotwire, etc etc. they'd have charged me the full amount when they charged me for my points and been done with it. Their "Policies" are seriously screwed up.........

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Why the concern with faxing a credit card authorization to them? Assuming it's not a zillion dollar fax?

Worried somebody steals your card number - so what? Any decent card company will catch and reverse charges.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Why the concern with faxing a credit card authorization to them? Assuming it's not a zillion dollar fax?

Worried somebody steals your card number - so what? Any decent card company will catch and reverse charges.

What, you would fax a copy of your passport, your address and all your personal information plus a full copy of both sides of your credit card to a third world country? I personally think you'd be crazy to.

I securely wired my Fiancé money to cover the cash they took. They are still fussing about taking the cash!

posted Hide Post
Moral of the story, don't travel to Africa.

Posts: 1931 | Location: S.E. Michigan/Macomb County | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redford1970:
Moral of the story, don't travel to Africa.

And if you do, don't get off the airplane.

And if you do, don't leave the airport.
And If you do, don't go to a bar.
And if you do, don't get in a bar fight.
And if you do, don't let them take you to a local hospital.
And if you do, don't let them give you a blood transfusion.

And if you do, just stay there in Africa. Don't bring more of that here.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Don't know if things have changed, but when I used to travel and made reservations, I gave cc over the phone to reserve and then had to produce that card or another at the scene.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Africa is a shithole country.

Wink

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post