SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who talk too much during cooking videos...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who talk too much during cooking videos... Login/Join 
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted
I like to watch cooking videos, but am really annoyed by the cook wasting time with shit that's not relevant to what they're fixing. I don't care about your granny in the old country, or you friends, or your faggotty crotch fruit.

Chef John from Food Wishes as got it right. He interjects a little humor but stays focused on what he's doing.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Hell, text recipes online are just as bad. You have to wade through 3 pages of bloviating about random topics/memories/feelings/opinions (interspersed with ads) before getting to the actual nuts and bolts of the recipe.

I don't give a damn about how this recipe reminds you of the warm feeling of summer days on your Pop-Pop's farm. I just want to know how to cook it.

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
The "That Dude Can Cook" guy makes a nice video. Not too much chatter.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Hell, text recipes online are just as bad. You have to wade through 3 pages of bloviating about random topics/memories/feelings/opinions (interspersed with ads) before getting to the actual nuts and bolts of the recipe.

I don't give a damn about how this recipe reminds you of the warm feeling of summer days on your Pop-Pop's farm. I just want to know how to cook it.

You're talking about the ladies with their blog pages? I feel your pain.

Maybe you already know this, but most of them are kind enough to put a "jump to recipe" box to click on to avoid that touchy feely stuff.

Or their faggotty crotch fruit! Big Grin

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tgtshuter:
quote:

You're talking about the ladies with their blog pages? I feel your pain.

Maybe you already know this, but most of them are kind enough to put a "jump to recipe" box to click on to avoid that touchy feely stuff.

Or their faggotty crotch fruit! Big Grin

I always look for a 'Print Recipe' button, which cuts all of the talky parts out & give you just the ingredients & steps.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Follow Ruby Day, you won't care one bit about her dragging out the recipe, in fact, you probably won't even remember what she cooked...

The link is safe,
Ruby Day the naked Cooking Chef Article

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
^^^ Anyone know what name does she go by in her other videos? Eek

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m not into cooking videos, but that one I could watch.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love capitalism .

Posts: 3971 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Here I was thinking Nigella Lawson (back in the day) filled out an apron nicely.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's a recipe manager app called Paprika that you would love. I heard about it here, and it has become my absolute favorite app. It has a browser and recipe manager component. Put the URL of the recipe in the browser, load the page, and click save. It will pull the recipe and directions out and save them for you. No more reading 3 pages of their life story to find the recipe, and it's available offline for future use.

The free version does just about everything, but I think the small fee for the full version is absolutely worth it. It gives you multi device support as well as cloud backup and sync for your recipes.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's horrible, I can't stand it, I usually fast forward them. In print ones it's annoying as hell to scroll through 30 paragraphs of back story. I don't care if your Nana brought the recipe from the old world and has been passed through three generations, just give me ingredients, prep, and cook time/temp.

Agreed Chef John is awesome.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For written recipe blogs I recently found this: https://www.justtherecipe.app/

Its a godsend

Posts: 430 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chef John is great. I'll watch Malcom BBQ all kinds of stuff. Adam Ragusea(sp?) is pretty good and injects a bit of humor.
Billy Parisi is pretty straight forward in cooking.
I'll watch most and just tune out what I don't want to hear.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:
Here I was thinking Nigella Lawson (back in the day) filled out an apron nicely.

Looked forward to watching her. The Brits would call her a saucey mint. Now Giada De Laurentiis I could watch with the sound down.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
quote:
Originally posted by rsbolo:

Looked forward to watching her. The Brits would call her a saucey mint. Now Giada De Laurentiis I could watch with the sound down.
I guess you guys aren't leg men. Big Grin

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Oh come now Jim. It taint all dat bad just to get a good shicken rez-oh-pee.

As for that Chef John follow, I think he's starting to phone it in. Wink

Posts: 7320 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Since I don’t cook, I watch cooking shows for the entertainment which is the chit chat for me. Rachel Ray used to be good at it. Now, she’s not. Worse was Yan can cook who thought he was entertaining with his cutting skills (he wasn’t) and his “talk” consisted of describing what he was doing. “Now, I’m chopping the vegetables so chop, chop, chop... chop, chop, chop....”

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post