SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Motorcycle Riding with sandals?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle Riding with sandals? Login/Join 
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Guilty.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While riding I've crashed into a barbed wire fence, layed a bike down and slid across the pavement a couple of times and got burned by the exhaust pipe. People dressed for a day at the pool must have never felt any pain like that.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
See it here too. I’m in a full suit and armored race boots, helmet, and Kevlar/carbon gloves, basically ATGATT, or I’m not riding my bikes. I have been down on the track and on the street so I see the squiddies and laugh. They’ll learn the hard way. I won’t even ride my MTB without proper shoes. These people are fucking crazy.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I’m on the bike, I’m ATTGAT all the time, even in 120* weather.

Posts: 879 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was talking with a guy riding a HD when he pointed out some kid riding in shorts and t-shirt and how stupid the kid was for doing so but at the same time the HD guy was riding without a helmet. I was thinking they're both stupid but at least the kid was wearing a helmet.

Posts: 1618 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got fussed at by a GSX-R rider last year for not wearing gear and riding with flip flops (I was riding to my local pool). I suppose they sell gixxers to anyone these days. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Riders who go down in their flip flops, or no helmet, or t-shirt, etc, etc, and hit their insurance carrier for medical when they have an accident, heavily impact all riders in the state. Same mfr and model, even more so. Insurance is $$$ so I'd expect same flack.

But if you are in your own neighborhood, and not on the city streets, putting in first gear to go to a neighbors house, or pool or something, well to me that is a bit different there if you aren't getting on city streets.

These people will learn one way or the other. I remember going down on the street 20 years ago. But I had on full armored gear sans the jeans I was in. Even then I got some strawberry sized rash. That's when I decided ATGATT and twisties/track only, and only on the weekend. Riding in the city, around cars, and stop lights? I'm not wasting my time or fuel. It's boring AF anyway. That's like buying a Ferrari and commuting to work in it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What about high heel shoes are they ok?

Asking for a friend.....

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now that’s fetching! Hammer down!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Never wore flip flops but back in the day as a young Soldier, I would ride my bike from Monterey to Santa Cruz on the PCH and other places with nothing but tennis shoes and silkies. Me and my buds were COOOOL Roll Eyes This is before the helmet law in 92, I think they have reversed it since

Never had an accident until I got back on a bike a few years ago, soccer mom pulled out in front of me, I did my impression of Super Man and ended up with seven broken ribs and a permanently separated shoulder. I don't think I will ever get back on a bike

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Not once but twice in 23 yrs I had biker accident victims die from massive road rash infections.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I waited 10 years
for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
QUESTION?? Any active duty military who can answer this. What is the policy for service members when riding off base even when off duty about wearing required saftey gear and if involved in a accident that medical coverage cost are denied and service member is personally responsible for cost?? ............................. drill sgt.

There is no policy in place that I pay medical coverage costs if involved in an accident.

Do you mean if you were NOT wearing required PPE?

The motorcycle safety course and sometimes sport bike course are a requirement prior to any operation still.
^^^^^^^^^^ Yes.. If not wearing proper PPE equipment and accident involved. Heard stories that some of the PPE required was a lot more involved as well as saftey courses than standard civilans standards. .......................................... drill sgt.

Drill Sgt,

I've never heard of anything like that and I would find it hard to believe they COULD or WOULD deny medical coverage regardless.

You'd most certainly face UCMJ punitive damages after all is said and done. But I don't think they are cancelling your medical coverage because of lack of PPE.

I had a commander in minot do an in line of duty determination on a new rider that got hurt.hadhe been found not in LOD he would have been liable for medical bills. That was 10 years ago tbough.

Posts: 133 | Location: nebraska | Registered: January 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Leaving aside the road rash issues, upshifting the transmission (by pulling up with the tops of the toes of the left foot) can't be comfortable. Confused

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Leaving aside the road rash issues, upshifting the transmission (by pulling up with the tops of the toes of the left foot) can't be comfortable. Confused

Depends on the bike I suppose.
On my Vulcan, its got a rubber peg, so not nearly as bad as the metal peg on my father in law's Indian.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
I'm an ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) kind of rider, but I do admit that while I wear an armored jacket, high-end helmet, steel-padded leather boots, and gloves, I just can't make the leap to Kevlar / armored jeans, so my legs do kinda get the short shrift of things.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:

My Fat Boy has floor boards and a Heel/Toe shifter so there’s no problem with that.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the Kevlar armored jeans and love them!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by at-home-daddy:
I'm an ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time) kind of rider, but I do admit that while I wear an armored jacket, high-end helmet, steel-padded leather boots, and gloves, I just can't make the leap to Kevlar / armored jeans, so my legs do kinda get the short shrift of things.

I have a pair of Brosh Kevlar riding pants that have plastic armor in the knees.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I am with Pre on this one.
Full armor, Dainese suit, AGV or Shoei helmet, armored gloves, full armor race boots, reticulated back plate.

I don't give a damn if it is 112 degrees in TX, I ride like it's Armageddon.

Some people may give me hell about it, but I don't care.

And I don't have to ride like Marquez to look like him, LOL

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post