SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Drivers in Parking Lots
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Drivers in Parking Lots Login/Join 
posted
I dont know if I am imagining this but it seems that if you were pulling out of a parking space and were more that 1/2 - 3/4 of the way out people would stop and wait for you to finish pulling out but in the last week I have come damn close to getting hit on more than one occasion by impatient assholes that can clearly see that I am just about our of the space but they come charging ahead anyway.

BTW - I do look before backing up and back up fairly slowly.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It's that "permanent right-of-way" mentality.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has been hit twice in two months in parking lots by insane impatient assholes.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I find it's usually young women in a hurry to go shopping.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
I find it's usually young women in a hurry to go shopping.

What's funny is where I live we have a big mega church that borderlines on a cult and almost every time you find someone driving like an entitled asshole you can expect top see a church stick on their rear window...apparently Jesus is their co pilot?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Meanwhile, if you wait to pull out, they get pissy because you're not giving them a space to park.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
TW - I do look before backing up and back up fairly slowly.

With so many trucks and SUV's, you really can't even see in one of both directions until you are 3/4's of the way out.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:
TW - I do look before backing up and back up fairly slowly.

With so many trucks and SUV's, you really can't even see in one of both directions until you are 3/4's of the way out.

^^^ Especially if I'm in the Corolla. I have to eaaaase out and listen for horns until I can see.

If I spot somebody, I usually pull back in and let them by.

And while we're bitching about parking lots, would it hurt them to give up a few spaces and make the lanes wide enough so you can swing into a spot without making a 3 point turn AND make the spaces wide enough that I can get my fat ass out of the car? There's a couple of places in town where even with everybody properly centered in their space it's a squeeze.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Many, many years ago, I had a guy hit me square in the right rear quarter panel speeding through a parking lot. He had managed to almost stop and only made a small dent.

Come to find out, he told his carrier that I backed into him. Fortunately, I had photos of the skid marks he left on the pavement and, obviously, the location of my damage was not in dispute.

Assholes.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
That's why I back into as many parking spots as I can, much easier to exit.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
I'm usually in parking lots in the early AM. The speedy ones in the lanes are not as big a danger as those cutting across the rows and then turning into a lane just where the cars are parked.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 869 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Portland, OR recently got rated as having one of the worst population of drivers. But I have to say, speeding past someone's bumper as they try to back out isn't a huge problem here. People here realize that if you leave, that's one more parking spot for them.

In Dallas/Ft Worth, OTOH, it seems like it's a regional pass-time to see how fast & how close you can get past someone who is backing out.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hi-power man:
I'm usually in parking lots in the early AM. The speedy ones in the lanes are not as big a danger as those cutting across the rows and then turning into a lane just where the cars are parked.

I HATE the friggin idiots at work who do this every fucking day.

I heard a story about an incoming new Alcoa president who focused on Safety and lead the company to growth and profits. Judging by the behavior of people at my workplace, we'll be out of business within a decade.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yeah make a quick getaway. Ayob says never go into a convenience store where somebody took the time to back into a space.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
It's not just drivers but also pedestrians. I remember when people would actually try and avoid walking behind someone's car if they were backing out. Now you have people paying no attention whatsoever, many of them attending to "important" text messages. The worst parking lots around here are the university, Sam's and Walmart. The university is particularly bad. I've actually had students stop to talk to each other right behind my vehicle while I was halfway backed out of a spot. They were texting before that and had seemed to have no idea or care that there might be cars (or large trucks in my case) using a parking lot. The parking lot is a big sidewalk. I don't recall being that damned stupid when I was that age.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
It's safer to never have to back-up so I look for pull-thru parking. Second choice is backing into a spot. Third choice is pulling in forward (usually only angled parking).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23249 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
It's safer to never have to back-up so I look for pull-thru parking. Second choice is backing into a spot. Third choice is pulling in forward (usually only angled parking).

That's what I do. Plus parking far enough out that I'm usually by myself.

Posts: 3235 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muddflap:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:

That's what I do. Plus parking far enough out that I'm usually by myself.

Does parking far away work for you? It's 115°+ here, I park at the very far end of the parking lot thinking "who's stupid enough to walk across this entire parking lot when it's so hot outside" and EVERYTIME my car is surrounded by the time I leave.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

Yeah make a quick getaway. Ayob says never go into a convenience store where somebody took the time to back into a space.

I had a guy cuss me for taking the time to back into a spot in a convenience store. He said the lot is too busy for me to back in. I'm thinking - I either have to back out or back in - either way, I'm backing up at some point in the process....

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

I had a guy cuss me for taking the time to back into a spot in a convenience store. He said the lot is too busy for me to back in. I'm thinking - I either have to back out or back in - either way, I'm backing up at some point in the process....

Don't use logic with people they won't understand lol... I just laugh at people when they tell me something stupid like that..

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post