SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Stuff With Value That Won't Sell
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stuff With Value That Won't Sell Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Fer instance, I can't sell a perfectly good used musical instrument, nor a specialty camera tripod. Or, a 1994 NASCAR jacket. Not trying to run an ad here, of course, just outlining the issue.
It's perfectly fine. I asked you about it.

Why don't you put these items for sale in Classifieds in this forum?

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
My home is filled with stuff of all kinds that I would gladly sell. Try as I might, there just appears to be NO market for the items. eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, company trading post, you can't sell some items. That just seems wrong to me.

You just need to find a guy like "you".
Seriously. Eek

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I had a friend with an older microwave. Built like a tank, worked great, but well beyond being outdated. He put it out in front of his house with a "Free" sign on it. Nobody took it. He brought it into work with him where he was on the corner of a busy intersection. Again, no takers.

One day while driving around he noticed a resale shop that had a bunch of "junk" that they would put out on their sidewalk for sale. He made a price sticker that looked like theirs in the amount of $10, drove by, and quickly deposited it upon their pile.

The following day he was driving by and the microwave was gone. He thought somebody saw him put it there, had a problem with what he did, and removed his abandoned microwave from their pile. He stopped and went inside prepared to apologize and take it back home with him.

The woman told him the strangest thing happened. Somebody carried that microwave in the night before and placed it on their counter with a $10 bill in their hand. She had no idea where the microwave came from but was happy to collect the $10.

I suppose the moral of the story has something to do with proper marketing. Wink

True story. I knew a couple who lived in the Roaring Fork Valley in Colorado (think *Aspen). They had a nice QH gelding for sale and priced it fairly for, as I recall, $4,000 (maybe slightly less).

Not even a nibble.

Another friend, who also lived in the Valley was talking to them about it. He said, “Your problem is that you’re not asking enough money for it.”

“What?!?” they replied. “It’s priced perfectly; we bought it for $X, put time into it, and we’re making a few bucks on the sale,”

“You don’t understand, these people think that for that price there’s something wrong with it.”

They put a price of $10,000 on the horse and received multiple calls. I don’t recall what they ultimately took for the horse, but it was more than twice what they were expecting to sell the horse for.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the feeling. I have some comic books that I know are valuable. And also some Lionel trains that were my father's (No sentimental value) A World War 1 medical officer's bolo knife. The effort you have to put in to sell them is crazy. Especially the comic books. Those people (Yes) are beyond picky. I have to find the exact grade for each one and then list it for a lot lower. Probably why they are still in a box on my coffee table.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Have you tried some of the local “for sale” apps available from the Apple App Store? Examples are:
5miles and Offerup.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I know the feeling. I have some comic books that I know are valuable. And also some Lionel trains that were my father's (No sentimental value) A World War 1 medical officer's bolo knife. The effort you have to put in to sell them is crazy. Especially the comic books. Those people (Yes) are beyond picky. I have to find the exact grade for each one and then list it for a lot lower. Probably why they are still in a box on my coffee table.

Quite frankly, if your comic books aren’t in excellent to mint condition, they just aren’t worth much. Just like collector guns that are scratched up as much as a carry gun would be.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
My home is filled with stuff of all kinds that I would gladly sell. Try as I might, there just appears to be NO market for the items. eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, company trading post, you can't sell some items. That just seems wrong to me.

You can always sell something. It all depends on pricing. Wink

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, one may have to almost give stuff away. With the hassle sometimes it’s better to Goodwill it and get a deduction in your favor.

I had 5 tires I was giving away recently, used but to good to throw away, yes I have free tire disposal. The Craigslist people can be rather unreliable, ask but then never follow up.

I did find a home for them.

I had a relative with a stamp collection from mostly the 70’s. She asked if I’d look into the value, she felt there was some. I took a peek on comparibles on fleabay. I told her they were about worthless.

One may of bought an item at $100, it may be worth $40 now, but then there’s no buyer who wants to pay that $40, maybe only $15.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We are lucky. Our little town has a HUGE warehouse where once you join, (no charge) you can take just about anything down there to sell. Over the years I have hauled down there furniture, mattresses, clothing, chain saws, all kinds of tools, a refrigerator we got $900 for, pretty much anything. They take a flat 18%.

This place is packed everyday.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have put up four garage sales in 9 years here in tiny town, during the tiny town garage sale weekend event.

usually 50 to 85 garage sales within a 1 square mile area.

two years we killed , made a great deal on stuff, but the other two years were ok at best.

sometimes absolutely no one wanted to haggle down and other times they would talked until they got their desired price.

I say offer the stuff up on the forum here and tell them what you would take and include the postage price

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really just want to move the stuff for whatever the market will bear, put it on eBay with a 99 cent opening bid plus the actual cost of shipping. It will eventually sell for something.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:

The other day I was at my parents and they are finally getting a flat screen down stairs. They have one of the big, old entertainment centers that were popular in the 90’s...it was like going to court trying to make them understand no one would want it, rather than me disassemble and trash it.

That is what we use to make video game consoles.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If it won't sell at any price, it doesn't have value.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just trash them. Too much hassle to get too little money. You will make faster progress and the extra space you free up will be worth it. I usually dismantle stuff I toss just for the learning experience

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some stuff actually costs money to dispose of.

What can you turn today for cash = Real Value.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Some stuff actually costs money to dispose of.

What can you turn today for cash = Real Value.
Spot on.

A friend of mine was awarded two old business / regional jets in a settlement - he would have preferred cash $$$ but the defendant didn't have any to speak of.

These two jets were the type that is pretty much too costly to operate these days. They hadn't flown in 5-8 years and were sitting at an airport out west.

He tried to sell them, tried all sorts of things. Finally after a couple of years he tried to sell them to a scrap place. The offer he got was $15K, which he felt was low but he would take it - of course the offer was really $15K to the scrap company to get rid of them, not pay him for the scrap... He was pretty shocked and tried some other places.

He eventually scrapped them and got some $$$ out of em, but not really any beyond all the trouble / time he spent.

Sometimes you just have to cut your loses - if there isn't significant $ in the items, how much is your time worth try to sell them?

Dump em.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Even the poor in America seem to have enough money/credit to buy new things. I try to explain to my wife that we got our use out of something and it is time to get rid of it or give it away. At least we have a Goodwill about 3 miles away. In many cases there can be potential distant buyers but shipping costs have become prohibitive with lower value items, especially larger and heavier ones.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
In the years we held garage sales we did pretty well. Now that I'm retired I think it's about time to hold another. Then, whatever does not sell, take it down the place that takes donated stuff and sells it for some-or-another non-profit aid kinda thingy.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
put it on ebay start the auction price at 1 dollar, if it doesn't sell toss it in the dump.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post