SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Recipes Hidden in a Blog
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recipes Hidden in a Blog Login/Join 
posted
Used to be I could search a recipe and get a few different versions quickly and easily. Take a little of this one, a little of that one mix 'em together and make my own concoction.

Now though every fricking person has a recipe blog and when you search a recipe you get their recipe interspersed in a 10 page blog with a diatribe about every ingredient and how it brings back memories of their youth and cooking with their fricking gramdma... Mad

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
That's incentivized...

If longer posts = greater space for ads.

And more ads = more ad revenue.

Then longer blog posts = more money.

Hence the trend towards larger fonts and lengthy rambling narratives about the personal connections to these recipes.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes and it’s a giant pain in the butt if you’re actually mid cooking the recipe and you want to check something! Argh!
I’ve gotten to the point where once I open the link I just start heading for the bottom of the article where the actual recipe is and take an image.

Awesome that there are so many recipes out there, sucks that they are buried in worthless drivel, maybe that’s part of the author’s process (in add’n to the reasons in the post above)

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yep, 100%

The worst was a recipe that made no sense when you got to that point.

Had to go back & read through the 'story' to figure out what to do.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15311 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Pictures. And don’t forget the pictures. Pictures at each phase of chopping up the onion. GOOD GRIEF!!!! Just give me the damn ingredients listings and any special cooking instructions portion. Mad

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I got so tired of that several years ago that I downloaded Paprika Recipe Manager. It lets you install a plugin to your browser toolbar and when you find a recipe, even embedded in a blog, you hit the button and it downloads it to your recipe collection and sorts it into standard recipe format. I've only run across a couple in the past 3-4 years that didn't format properly - it works very well and you have all of your recipes synchronized across platforms.
https://www.paprikaapp.com/

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Wow. That sounds cool.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
Most of those blogs have a "Jump To Recipe" box located at the top of the page you can click on to bypass all the narrative.

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
It's all about google.

The more bull you type in your posts, the more content, the higher in the search rankings you get anymore. It's all about SEO.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now though every fricking person has a recipe blog and when you search a recipe you get their recipe interspersed in a 10 page blog with a diatribe about every ingredient and how it brings back memories of their youth and cooking with their fricking gramdma...

LOL this subject came up yesterday when we searched up a recipe for Salmon Cakes.

Since I have several Costco cans of Salmon I need to use, on the way to the grocery Siri'd up some recipes, lo and behold every one was filled with fluff,...

So... anyone got a killer Salmon patty recipe? Big Grin

Posts: 23436 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post